Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How do you handle Halloween?

How do you handle Halloween?

Old Oct 31st 2004, 1:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation
Default Re: How do you handle Halloween?

[QUOTE
I understand completely.....but what is safe candy......is that sort of like the bag of frozen mars bars that I ate in 1 1/2 days? hehehe

Congratulations to him.....give him a hug for me.....and tell him ...well done!!!!!

QUOTE]
Old Oct 31st 2004, 1:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

[QUOTE
I understand completely....that's why we shut down after 7pm.....most of the younger kids are gone by then and that's really who halloween is for.....as I said earlier.....I refuse to feed teenagers on my hard earned monye

Mrs. G. going to do sme baking tomorrow with the pumpkin. That's our plan - pumpkin loaf I think......although my son may change his mind again. We had xmas decorations and carols in the stores here in Victoria before thanksgiving.

Anyway, must run.....have a kids party to go to....our halloween is really just starting here.....at 6:45pm...question of the night is how on earth we're going to get the kids to sleep with all that sugar and the time change....they were up at 4am this morning.

[/QUOTE]
Old Oct 31st 2004, 1:53 pm
Deep in the red C.

Iginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
We're hiding in the basement with the upstairs lights turned off ... and no, our kids didn't get to go out either.
We bought bear spray.

Seriously, we've had a few round. The younger ones are nicer.

The older ones 12-13 just say nothing and stand there with there bags open. We had one in a team Canada hockey jersey and that was it.

I asked what he was supposed to be and got the (obvious) reply. "A hockey fan."

Silly me.

Last edited by Iginla; Oct 31st 2004 at 1:57 pm.
Old Oct 31st 2004, 2:00 pm
Banned

DanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to all

lol brilliant. A hockey fan.. hahaha...
Old Oct 31st 2004, 2:01 pm
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by DanMarsden
Your kid plays hockey, Glas? Cool. What position?

I play hockey too.
What position does an anarchist play in? Don't you reject the roles imposed on players by the hockey establishment? Only joking ....

The older one seems to like defense ... he prefers stopping other people from scoring ... doesn't have the urge to take the puck down the ice himself, but when one of the other team tries it, he's after them like a shot.

The younger one ... don't know yet ... the tyke program here is really tedious for the first three months ... he'll work out what he wants to do in January when they get to start playing games.

Old Oct 31st 2004, 2:03 pm
Deep in the red C.

Iginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond repute

What position does an anarchist play in?
enforcer
Old Oct 31st 2004, 2:09 pm
Banned

DanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to all

What position does an anarchist play in?
Well, taking into account that I played hockey long before I became an anarchist... I'm a goalie. :scared:

I don't really mind playing defense or offense. I like both. But my "specialty" is stopping pucks.
Old Oct 31st 2004, 2:17 pm
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by willmore
but what is safe candy......
A lot of people buy the cheapest candy they can get ... packed full of E numbers that are banned in Europe ... Tartrazine is allowed in kid's stuff here ... having seen my youngest fly into a full blown punches thrown, no holds barred tantrum after Mountain Dew and some candy, I'm very careful about what they get nowadays.

One of my kids' friends parents throw a big Halloween party every year ... we avoid it like the plague ... I remember going to pick up my kids and watching the other kids at the party trampolining on what was a very nice 3 piece suite ... all as high as kites on cheap candy.

Old Oct 31st 2004, 2:37 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Here's three of my lot anyway. They had fun, but we closed the show at 7.30pm due to hulking great teenagers too. :scared:
Attached Thumbnails How do you handle Halloween?-expats2.jpg   How do you handle Halloween?-expats-file.jpg  
Old Oct 31st 2004, 2:41 pm
Banned

lol very cute.
Old Oct 31st 2004, 3:21 pm
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

Very quiet this year, only had about 150 munchkins come to our house (last year close on twice that number!)

But it is Great fun

However, the stragglers are still coming around (it is 8.30pm) but we need to get our kiddie to bed so we will soon turn off the porch light and that should be it....

Happy Halloween!!

Clare
Old Oct 31st 2004, 3:31 pm
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by DanMarsden
Well, taking into account that I played hockey long before I became an anarchist... I'm a goalie. :scared:

I don't really mind playing defense or offense. I like both. But my "specialty" is stopping pucks.
I used to play in goal at field hockey (I was also a rugby hooker) ... I liked stopping the ball ... too bad sometimes if a forward got between me and the ball

I had a cousin who played professional soccer as a goalie ... maybe it runs in the family?

Neither kid really wants to be a goalie, but they're looking forward to when they're 11 ... contact starts at that age and they're both built like brick sh*thouses ... just like thier dear old Dad ... I feel sorry for the rest of the kids already.

Old Oct 31st 2004, 3:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

Boy you guys seem to have a bad experience.

I get a bit sick of getting up and down to hand out the candies as my husband normally works and very conveniently this year he disappeared down into the basement to watch TV. However, I can honestly say in all the years that my kids went Trick or Treating and the years that my granddaughter has been going out, I have never heard of a bad experience.

This year, as every other year, all the kids were dressed up in costumes, they all said "trick or treat" they all said "thank you" some of them said "goodnight". I don't know whether we happen to live in an exceptionally good area or whether the kids in Regina are better behaved than most - but it was all in all a pleasant experience. In previous years we have had the odd teenager show up at 9 without a costume, but even they were fairly polite.

I bought decent candies - that is because we don't have too many kids and so my husband and I get to eat the left over Reese's peanut butter cups and Glosettes raisins!!

Incidentally, my son weighed my granddaughter's pillowcase when she got home. It weighed about 9 lbs!

That's the pumpkin that my son carved this year. Its Blues Clues, although I am not quite sure what Blues Clues is - something on TV I think.

(sorry I've tried to resize the darn photo but Photobucket doesn't seem to be working properly right now - it says its resized to 13 k!! Yeah right)

Last edited by Purley; Oct 31st 2004 at 3:39 pm.
Old Oct 31st 2004, 3:43 pm
Banned

Neither kid really wants to be a goalie, but they're looking forward to when they're 11 ... contact starts at that age and they're both built like brick sh*thouses ... just like thier dear old Dad ... I feel sorry for the rest of the kids already.
hahaha.. pushing players against the boards is awesome. Too bad us goalies don't get that sorta action, but I've done my fair share of that when not playing as a goalie.
Old Oct 31st 2004, 3:43 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by liftman
Think the little sods have a network telling them "Bloke at No. 5 has good sweets".
Yup, most definitely.

Also, when I was a kid if my friends and I found 'a good house' we'd revisit it over and over with minor costume changes inbetween (thinking we were fooling people). Back then -about 25 years ago- it meant a house giving out chocolate bars - normal sized bars not the mini versions available nowadays! It was like striking gold!

One of the most memorable treats I ever received though was a kid's toothbrush and toothpaste kit (the home owner was a local dentist). I also once received a tin of cat food!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.