Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How do I get a ramp to put a car in the back of a removal truck.

How do I get a ramp to put a car in the back of a removal truck.

Old Feb 16th 2012, 11:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond repute
Default How do I get a ramp to put a car in the back of a removal truck.

We are relocating from Calgary to Halifax, everything is booked etc.

The movers are taking our car in the truck but they have stated we have to organise the "bridge / ramp" to drive the car on and also off in Halifax.

Has anybody done this, who did you use, does it have a certain Canadian terminollogy.

Many thanks.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 11:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do I get a ramp to put a car in the back of a removal truck.

Must be a pretty crap removal company if they dont supply their own ramps.
So now you are looking at hiring ramps at both ends for about 15 mins work.
Try the local yellow pages or try a towing company to see if they can suggest someone.
Didnt this come up when you hired them?
Old Feb 17th 2012, 3:21 am
BE Enthusiast

SambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lamin
We are relocating from Calgary to Halifax, everything is booked etc.

The movers are taking our car in the truck but they have stated we have to organise the "bridge / ramp" to drive the car on and also off in Halifax.

Has anybody done this, who did you use, does it have a certain Canadian terminollogy.

Many thanks.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en

Old Feb 17th 2012, 3:25 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Must be a pretty crap removal company if they dont supply their own ramps.
So now you are looking at hiring ramps at both ends for about 15 mins work.
Try the local yellow pages or try a towing company to see if they can suggest someone.
Didnt this come up when you hired them?
Just curious but why do you feel the need to reply in every thread even when you have nothing useful to add? I admit we all do this a little, but not on this scale. I am going with either ADD or a quiet day around hassling refugees.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 3:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Lamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you SambadeAmigo,

I will look in to them but I suspect they will have to be higher as it is going in to the back of a 53 footer removal van.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 4:22 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.rampmaster.com/lctr.html This is the kind of thing I think you need but have not been able to find anywhere that will hire them yet.

It might be worth emailing them and asking if they know of anyone.. you never know, they might be kind and tell you
Old Feb 17th 2012, 5:23 am
BE Enthusiast

airbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond repute

This is what you need....

http://images01.olx.com/ui/6/60/12/1...1276186890.jpg

Drive on then transfer to the removals truck....can be a bit of a squeeze and worst case you may have to push your car in/back off.

The other option is a loading bay....meeting the removals truck there...either way it will cost a bit...I had to load a 20ft boat this way once....and went for the transfer vehicle option.

Last edited by airbornesapper; Feb 17th 2012 at 5:28 am.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 7:37 am
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

If they don't have ramps, would it be fair to presume that they also might not have sufficient tie down straps and anchor points in the van?

I've trailered many things over the years, and you would be amazed at a loads determination to escape from it's carrier. A car weighing a ton will turn into several tons when you brake sharply.

The transporter truck transfer idea is the best. The loading bay did spring to mind for me too, but the trouble with that is, you normally have stairs to get down, or you only have access into someone's workplace, lol.

I take it the car is a project car or something? The obvious question is of course, why not drive it?
Old Feb 17th 2012, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

in the woods will become famous soon enough

Just go see a local trucking firm with a loading dock simply drive it just like a forklift. I loaded a car in dartmouth 20 years ago like this. I work for a trucking firm in sydney and they have one. I'm sure for a few $$ you could use one