Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

how do i find a beauty employer who will do a LMO??

how do i find a beauty employer who will do a LMO??

Old Jun 9th 2012, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

englishbird is an unknown quantity at this point
Default how do i find a beauty employer who will do a LMO??

hi im comming to canada on a visitor visa and was going to look for a job and then apply for a work visa while im there the reason being i have had 2 job offers while here in the uk but neither are willing to do an LMO...... which leaves me between a rock and a hard place!!..... just wondering if anyone knows any spa's/ beauty therapy rooms in nanaimo that are prepared to do an LMO?? plleeaasseee help lol x
Old Jun 9th 2012, 6:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how do i find a beauty employer who will do a LMO??

There's no magic way I'm afraid, other than keeping looking and networking - have you read the Job Hunting guide of the Wiki and been following that?

Going over there will give you the best shot, so fingers crossed. If that doesn't work, then the only thing I can suggest is that you broaden your search area - limiting yourself to just Nanaimo may be the problem, perhaps there isn't the demand for beauty therapists there?

Good luck.
Old Jun 9th 2012, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

ty for ur responce the reason i am stuck on that area is i have found a school for my son and housing etc so need to go there really if it were just me wouldnt be a problem......... there are plenty of beauty jobs there just no one will do the LMO......... will it be better if im there and the jobs i have been offered have been advertised for more than 2 weeks i am over qualified from what i have been told xx
Old Jun 10th 2012, 1:43 am
Forum Regular

Back2UK has a spectacular aura aboutBack2UK has a spectacular aura aboutBack2UK has a spectacular aura about

I think you find you will never be out of work, however I don't think you will find someone is willing to do LMO for you, its the same in Calgary. Good luck
Old Jun 10th 2012, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

hi but without an LMO i cant get a visa can i???
Old Jun 10th 2012, 11:24 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by englishbird
hi but without an LMO i cant get a visa can i???
No, you can't, unless of course you qualify for a different visa route rather than a Temp Work Permit. But don't forget that it's not just finding an employer willing to do the LMO, it's actually having one granted - and with so many being refused at the moment, that can be the trickiest bit.

Perhaps there just isn't a shortage of beauty therapists in Nanaimo? In which case, even if you can find an employer prepared to go through the wait/paperwork/hassle of hiring you, the LMO won't be granted anyway as HRSDC will think there are Canadians that can do the job.

That's why I suggested broadening your search area, perhaps there's somewhere else where there is a shortage of beauty therapists? Even limiting yourself to a particular province can be tricky, so to limit yourself to such a small area of one could be even more so!

Also, isn't beauty therapy a licensed trade in Canada? I could be wrong, but I have a vague recollection that it is - if so, have you sat the exams etc you'll need to work in the beauty industry there?

How long have you been looking?

Good luck.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

been looking for a yr..... applying for jobs a couple of months the only exam that would need to be sat is if i wanted to be a registered massage therapist but i can do it without being registered just charge less i have done all my exams here and took 3 yrs getting all my qualifications there is no shortage of beauty jobs in nanaimo as they are being advertised all the time would i be able to do the paperwork for the LMO??...... and surly if the job has been advertised for a while then there isnt a canadian who can fill the post?

cheers xx
Old Jun 10th 2012, 11:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by englishbird
been looking for a yr..... applying for jobs a couple of months the only exam that would need to be sat is if i wanted to be a registered massage therapist but i can do it without being registered just charge less i have done all my exams here and took 3 yrs getting all my qualifications there is no shortage of beauty jobs in nanaimo as they are being advertised all the time would i be able to do the paperwork for the LMO??...... and surly if the job has been advertised for a while then there isnt a canadian who can fill the post?

cheers xx
You cannot apply for an LMO it is the employer who has to apply. It sounds like you are already in Canada is that correct? Are you married to a Canadian or living common law? If still in the UK then you might have a tough time even getting into Canada.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

im in the UK... why would i have a tough time getting in??
Old Jun 10th 2012, 12:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Err let me count the ways

1. If not a Canadian citizen, PR of Canada or Status Indian you have no right of entry into Canada.
2. You want to work here and if you arrive without all relevant documents then you will be found inadmissible under A41 of IRPA.
3. You cannot just bring a kid to Canada and then get him enrolled in a school.
4. How will you be supporting yourself financially plus your kid I think A39 of IRPA might also come into play as an inadmissibility.

Thats just for starters.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

i have funds to support us for the duration of the visitors visa.. the reason im comming is to see if i like it and then apply for a work visa i will have a return ticket to come back while i wait for my visa....... i wouldnt work without a visa... i am well aware my SON cannot get into a school until i have a visa hense why he is having work emailed over from his current school......thanks for ur reply even though u r very negative and rather aggressive with it
Old Jun 10th 2012, 1:32 pm
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

This might help you:-

For estheticians, cosmetologists, make-up artists with a licence from a foreign country, the CIABC requires proof of training that is equivalent or greater to what is required in BC. Proof of training will then allow the candidate to sit for the CIABC exam.
For more details, see:
http://www.ciabc.net/exams.html
http://www.ciabc.net/examFAQ.html
http://www.ciabc.net/memcertFAQ.html
Old Jun 10th 2012, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

ty MB-realtor as far as the visa office is concerned i dont need to do any extra exams unless i want to be a RMT then i have to sit a small exam .... but i will have a peruse through the links xx
Old Jun 10th 2012, 1:49 pm
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

here's a few more;-

Working in BC and in Canada
The following websites provide more information about salaries, working conditions, and job prospects in BC and Canada for estheticians, cosmetologists and make-up artists.

BC Work Futures Estheticians, electrologists and related occupations http://www.workfutures.bc.ca/ [search 6482 AND 6481] Provides detailed information about working as an esthetician.
Career Cruising http://www.vpl.ca/electronic_databases/alpha/c Profiles for Estheticians and Cosmetologists Available from the VPL Online Articles, Encyclopedias & More page. [see NOTE below]
Employment Standards Branch http://www.labour.gov.bc.ca/esb/ The Employment Standards Branch administers the Employment Standards Act and Regulation, which set minimum standards of wages and working conditions in most workplaces.
Job Futures http://www.jobfutures.ca/noc/6482.shtml Identifies job prospects, education, training and experience for Estheticians, electrologists and related occupations (NOC 6248).
Learning Express http://www.vpl.ca/electronic_databases/alpha/l On the left-hand column under Jobs and Careers this database provides Costmetology Practice Exams to help you obtain the optional Cosmetology Licence, with questions on scientific concepts, physical services, chemical services and hair design questions. Free with sign-in requirement.
NOTE: You can access these databases from a Library computer. If you are using a computer from outside the Library, you will need a Vancouver Public Library card to login to these databases. After clicking on the database name, you will be asked to enter your library card number and PIN (usually last four digits of your telephone number).
WorkBC http://www.workbc.ca/ Provides information about career planning, finding a job, and what kinds of questions an employer can ask during the interview process.
Working in Canada http://workingincanada.gc.ca This tool will help you identify the name of your occupation in Canada and provide you with a detailed labour market information report (containing job duties, skill requirements, wage rates, etc.) for a chosen location in Canada.
WorkSafeBC http://www.worksafebc.com/ WorkSafe BC (Workers Compensation Board) is responsible for workplace health and safety and monitors compliance with the Occupational Health and Safety Regulation. WorkSafe BC works with individuals who suffer work related injuries or diseases to provide return-to-work rehabilitation, compensation, and health care benefits.

My daughter is an Esthetician here in Winnipeg. In Manitoba its a regulated trade, like hairdressing, and you have to complete a two year apprentice scheme and get certificated.

Last edited by MB-Realtor; Jun 10th 2012 at 1:56 pm.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 2:13 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

I wish your son all the luck in the world

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.