Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

how do i drive permantly with a uk licence

how do i drive permantly with a uk licence

Old Jan 9th 2008, 6:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how do i drive permantly with a uk licence

Originally Posted by Tam Kilmarnock
Sorry for hijacking the thread but could anyone tell me whats stopping me from exchanging my UK licence in AB even though I'm ultimately residing in BC?

Would I need a AB address?
Yes, but more importantly check what BC's rules are on exchanging that one.

MB now exchanges GB licenses but when we arrived, they hadn't started that. We swapped in ON, and then swapped the ON one for MB *but* MB had a rule that the license to be swapped must have been held for a minimum of 3mths... so if we had just made a stopover in ON to get the license en route to MB, it would have been no good.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 6:29 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

From ICBC's website:

In most cases, you will not need to take a road test if you hold:

* a Canadian or American passenger car or motorcycle operator's licence

I'm not too keen on the word "most". I have a feeling they must have seen this one coming. The drivers license is a de facto identity card so before they issue one they will want proof of your identity: WP, PR card etc. They will be able to see from this that your stop in Alberta was merely for the convenience of getting your license.

Last edited by JonboyE; Jan 9th 2008 at 6:39 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 6:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Inse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond repute

If you're coming to BC just take the test, it really wasn't that bad. There is a theory test first, based on the Road Sense for Drivers book available free from any ICBC office and when this is passed then the road test follows.
It was 36years ago when I last took a driving test but, honest, the BC test was OK.
If you go to icbc.com then you can take a practice run at the theory test as many times as you like.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

wallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud of
Smile Re: how do i drive permantly with a uk licence

Hi,

As stated, in Alberta you can swap your UK licence for an Alberta one, this must be done within 90 days of residing in Alberta.

There is no test but whatever classes you have on your Uk licence, you will only get a class 5 Alberta operators licence, which will permit you to drive any vehicle, other than a Large goods vehicle, Bus or motorcycle.

The fee for swapping you licence in Alberta is $74.08 and you will initially just get a paper slip with your licence details on. Your licence picture card will be sent to your address in approximately 2 weeks.

To get your licence you will need picture id (your UK licence will cover this), proof of your right to reside in Canada (your visa or PR card), and proof of residency in Alberta (utility bill, real estate purchase docs etc).

Don't forget to photo copy your UK licence as this will be taken from you and sent pack to DVLA. When you get insurance, they may want to see your old licence (photocopy is fine) as they want to check for demerit points.

Also ensure that you bring over any proof of no claims on vehs and house, as this can help keep the premiums down.

We assist people relocating to the Calgary area, so please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any questions.

Eddie and Julie
Old Jan 10th 2008, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

craig25 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi yes it is nova scotia that iam planning on staying so it looks like i have to take a few tests from the answers u guys have gave me,thanks for the replies
Old Jan 10th 2008, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

wallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by craig25
Hi yes it is nova scotia that iam planning on staying so it looks like i have to take a few tests from the answers u guys have gave me,thanks for the replies
Good luck in your move to Nova Scotia
Old Jan 10th 2008, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

benjy25 will become famous soon enoughbenjy25 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Tuppence
NB is a straight swap, NS is a new test.
Hi, do you know what you do if you are there for an extended period of time on a temp work permit or student visa and want to drive? Thanks, Ben
Old Jan 10th 2008, 6:59 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by benjy25
Hi, do you know what you do if you are there for an extended period of time on a temp work permit or student visa and want to drive? Thanks, Ben
you'll need to get a local licence. You're only allowed to drive on a UK licence for 90 days (may vary province-by-province, but this one seems pretty universal). You could rent a vehicle on a UK licence in the short term, but you won't be able to register or insure a vehicle (except in some special circumstances - I know some people have brought vehicles up from the US and continued to drive them on US registrations...) unless you have a local licence, mailing address etc.

In provinces where you need to take a new test you can generally keep your UK licence as well as your Canadian one, so you'll have no problem when you go back to the UK. If you do a licence exchange, you'll have to submit your UK licence as part of the swap, so make sure you take photocopies of both sides of the card and the paper counterpart, so that you can use that when back in the UK to get your "old" details back from the DVLA.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 8:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Doomed to be stuck in the West Midlands forever!!!!
Twink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to all

Hi,
we are using consultants and they have told me that you only take an eye test and swap your Uk licence for NS licence - and pay the fee!

Who`s right AND who`s wrong???
So if you have to take written & theory exams AGAIN - I for one are being mislead by Canadian Immigration Consultants!!
Old Jan 10th 2008, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

happy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud of

If for some reason you don't want to give up your UK license you can get an international license from the UK which would allow you to drive in Canada, although the downside is they are only valid for 1 year and I think cost about 25 quid each renewal. I suppose it would work for those who are on a year contract, or who need all the license qualifications immediately. As already mentioned regardless what type of license you held in UK you will only get a class 5 (car) in Alberta.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 8:50 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happy hatter
If for some reason you don't want to give up your UK license you can get an international license from the UK which would allow you to drive in Canada, although the downside is they are only valid for 1 year and I think cost about 25 quid each renewal. I suppose it would work for those who are on a year contract, or who need all the license qualifications immediately. As already mentioned regardless what type of license you held in UK you will only get a class 5 (car) in Alberta.
Be very careful of your legal/insurance position with that course of action. The International Drivers Permit is designed to be used by visitors (tourists) - most provinces in Canada state that if you are resident in Canada you may not drive on an IDP beyond the 90 days limit (for which your UK licence is acceptable anyway, so why bother with an IDP...), after which you must arrange (by exchange or test as appropriate) to get a local licence. If you drive for more than 90 days in Canada on an IDP you may find that your insurance is invalidated - that could end up being a load more hassle than exchanging your license or sitting a test.

Pretty much everyone on BE who's in a province where they've had to retake a test has reported that the idea of it is much more daunting than the reality. Basically, if you've passed a driving test in the UK you should have no difficulty in passing one here so long as you read up on the rules of the road beforehand.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 8:51 pm
Going for a Soda

TiggyP is a jewel in the roughTiggyP is a jewel in the roughTiggyP is a jewel in the roughTiggyP is a jewel in the roughTiggyP is a jewel in the rough

I know in some provinces (BC) you have to have held a valid Canadian drivers licence for two years before you can swap it for a BC one.

We originally landed in ON, so we didn't need a test to get a licence there. I enquired with the NS office to find out whether the two year rule applied there, they only stated that they would swap a valid out-of-province licence, they didn't mention any time restraints. Hmm...
Old Jan 11th 2008, 12:09 am
Account Closed

Jolly Jack Tar is an unknown quantity at this point

just a quick question, can you drive permantly on a uk licence in canada ?,or do you have to take there driving test ?
Dont know about the other provinces but, here in Friendly Manitoba you can drive for three months then you have to change over. As from May 17th 2005 the British driving license is now recognised in MB. Great fantastic I thought, I trundled along to the provincial building in Portage la Prairie to change over my license, a quick photo and money changed hands and there was my MB license.......class 5, (car) & class 6 (M/C), But no class 1, 2, 3, 4, so in one swift movement as my UK driving license was being minced up in the shredding machine I had lost all my HGV qualifications. Sorry my friend they are not recognised, was all I got in reply. I left the building before I did something I would regret. Apparently........ in Saskabush the UK license is recognised fully. Good luck....
Old Jan 11th 2008, 3:23 am
BE Enthusiast

NessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond repute

Kudos, Oakvillan... great info!

An International Driver's Licence is simply a document that assists foreign police/officials to understand the conditions of your current licence. A valid driver's licence MUST accompany it.

If someone continues to drive on their UK (for example) licence after the 90 day period, they risk being in breach of their insurance policy. No insurance coverage at the time of an accident could be financially devastating.
Old Jan 11th 2008, 3:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Ibraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to all

Originally Posted by TiggyP
I know in some provinces (BC) you have to have held a valid Canadian drivers licence for two years before you can swap it for a BC one.

We originally landed in ON, so we didn't need a test to get a licence there. I enquired with the NS office to find out whether the two year rule applied there, they only stated that they would swap a valid out-of-province licence, they didn't mention any time restraints. Hmm...
I have swapped licence in Quebec, moved to BC few months later, and swapped the QC DL for a BC DL in 5 minutes, so I don't think there is such a rule. and the Quebec SAAQ never asked for a proof of residency, they just asked for an address to send the DL to.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.