Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How did you get a job in Canada..?

How did you get a job in Canada..?

Old Mar 17th 2015, 10:26 pm
Recruiter Extraordinaire

Tigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How did you get a job in Canada..?

I planned a week in Vancouver just to see if I liked it and hadn't planned on looking for work at that point (I have dual nationality so didn't need to worry about a visa). But thought it wouldn't hurt to at least get a sense of the market and sent some resumes out.

Had 4 interviews in the week and a job offer at the end, handed in my notice via email and the popped back to the UK, sold everything I needed to, packed what I didn't (including the cat!) and was back within a month! That was nine years ago and I haven't looked back since :-)
Old Mar 18th 2015, 8:00 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

I was headhunted in the UK a while ago when times were good.
Old Apr 3rd 2015, 7:00 am
Forum Regular

S_elliott52 is an unknown quantity at this point

I phoned the HR department, as they weren't advertising for my role (I'm and ICU RN) had a phone interview and was offered the job !!!!!
Now time to move on, hopefully down to the U.S. in the next 18 months. BC is too expensive for me!!!
Old Apr 4th 2015, 4:58 am
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

My sister was living in Vancouver with her family, me and my OH came on holiday and loved it and wanted to move out here. Looked into get PR from the UK but CIC put a pause on the FSW route and then added a list of occupations and my occupation was not on it.

I came on to BE and discovered a TWP was another route to take and so plan b was to get a job and LMO and move over and see what it was like and try and get PR.

Used Linkedin to network and then followed up with emails and got a Canadian calling package and made calls through Skype. I then came over for a week and arranged over 20 meetings. The outcome was a job offer and a company willing to go through the LMO process. A year and half after landing here on a TWP, and other half on SWOP, I have been promoted and we have PR.

Last edited by Mikeypm; Apr 4th 2015 at 5:13 am.
Old Apr 8th 2015, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

Ling_Noi is an unknown quantity at this point

It's a bit different for me than others here.

Me and my wife applied under the FSW program last year which 71 points out of the 69 needed. I doubt we'd be get in under then new Express Entry as I don't have a lot of points.

It was approved in Jan 2015 and we were awarded PR. I put my CV on monster.ca (just adding Canada on monster.co.uk doesn't work). I then had a recruiter contact me about a position with a large employer in Toronto. I've been through 4 Skype interviews with them and they are due to make their decision today. The recruiter emailed last night saying he had "good news" and would call today. So I'm expecting a verbal offer.

To be honest I didn't think that it would be possible to get a job from the UK. The prior plan was to bank as much as possible over the next 18 months - 2 years and then land and look for jobs. I'm a software engineer and the demand for competent and qualified developers is high all over the world.

Canada's FSW is one of the best immigration programs in the world. It gives you a lot of stability. I didn't like the idea of faffing around with temporary visas. I have to do this in the UK for my wife who is non-EU.

I was disappointed to read that they are raising the PR -> Citizenship requirement to four years from three, but that's not the end of the world by any means. Since PR pretty much have the same rights as citizens, except voting, I can live with it.
Old Apr 8th 2015, 2:57 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

I was at the airport way back when, heading off to distant lands, a guy walks up to me and says you should come work for us. So I did.