Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How did you get a job in Canada..?

How did you get a job in Canada..?

Old Feb 27th 2015, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

gemmab1979 is a splendid one to beholdgemmab1979 is a splendid one to beholdgemmab1979 is a splendid one to beholdgemmab1979 is a splendid one to beholdgemmab1979 is a splendid one to beholdgemmab1979 is a splendid one to beholdgemmab1979 is a splendid one to beholdgemmab1979 is a splendid one to beholdgemmab1979 is a splendid one to beholdgemmab1979 is a splendid one to beholdgemmab1979 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: How did you get a job in Canada..?

Tell me about it ! If he hadn't of bought the newspaper that day we would still be back in wales both working every hour God sends just to make ends meet, now we are in a big detached house and I'm a lady of leisure just sitting pretty and spending my day with the children, I know that jammy doesn't even cover it!!
Old Feb 27th 2015, 6:50 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

We came on vacation. looked at some houses, got talking the realtor, who knew someone, that someone invited OH for a chat, he came out from the 10 minute chat with a written job offer - job done! He's still at the same place 10 years on.
Old Feb 27th 2015, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

allycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond repute

When I came to Nova Scotia in 2008, as a permanent resident; I found it really hard to get a job as a truck driver. I even had a Canadian class one license which I got while i was stationed in Goose Bay with the RAF. I must have sent out 40+ resumes with only a couple of replies. I eventually got a job with Canadian Blood Services as a driver, as I met one their drivers while camping and he put in a good word for me!!! Hopefully my days as a truck driver are over, as I've just been selected for testing with the CBSA ;-)
Old Feb 27th 2015, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

Ontheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond repute

iron workers??....they press suits??......<blank stare>
Old Feb 27th 2015, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

gemmab1979 is a splendid one to beholdgemmab1979 is a splendid one to beholdgemmab1979 is a splendid one to beholdgemmab1979 is a splendid one to beholdgemmab1979 is a splendid one to beholdgemmab1979 is a splendid one to beholdgemmab1979 is a splendid one to beholdgemmab1979 is a splendid one to beholdgemmab1979 is a splendid one to beholdgemmab1979 is a splendid one to beholdgemmab1979 is a splendid one to behold

Lol erm no, fitting the steel structures of the new big builds, condo towers, office blocks and the like, if it paid that much to press clothes think I'd probably lift an iron up myself
Old Feb 27th 2015, 9:49 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Applied on line

Communication via email

Flew across for an interview

Flew back

Waited 8 months for PR

Flew back to Canada started work
Old Mar 5th 2015, 3:53 pm
Just Joined

squirkey298 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirkey298 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirkey298 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirkey298 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirkey298 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirkey298 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirkey298 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirkey298 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirkey298 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirkey298 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirkey298 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JnJ2015

I would love to hear stories of people who successfully achieved a job offer in Canada. How you went about getting it and how it's worked out for you.

I'm asking as this is, as i'm sure is for many, the hardest part of the process for us.

We are aiming for Nova Scotia. A work permit, express entry application and a provincial nomination all require a job offer.
I am struggling to see why an employer would offer anyone outside Canada a job and if they did why wait months for them.....
We are in admin and HGV driving.
We got a job offer in Calgary via a wonderful lady I met on this forum, whose husband was also an electrician and had just moved out here from Scotland. She (Linda) passed on a contact number for his employer, told us when they were actively hiring and Linda's husband even vouched personally for my husband. We had an LMO within 9 weeks and were here within 12 weeks. The night we got the job offer was like a lottery win for us, we'd been trying so hard to get here for 3 years and came up against a lot of CIC hurdles along the way. We couldn't believe that in the end it happened relatively easily - two emails and a phone call and our lives completely changed. British Expats changed my life!

Prior to that we had sent off lots of resumes, flown out here on job hunting (and Red Seal-sitting) expeditions and we weren't getting anywhere; we had just given up hope.

We did learn (and I'm sure you've heard it) that networking is important in Canada; meeting employers, getting to know people in the industry, etc. It certainly worked for us! Good luck
Old Mar 5th 2015, 4:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute

I searched the internet, sent of resumes, followed up with emails or phone calls.
Jobs don't just come to you specially from over seas you have to pursue them.
August 2004 i flew over on a scouting trip and visited some companies, heard enough about the winter in Manitoba that i came back in February 2005 for a follow up and extended visit to one trucking outfit. Took a couple of months thinking about it when i got home before starting TWP application.
Flew back on a one way ticket in August 2005
Old Mar 5th 2015, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

Ontheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond repute

Saw a job advert in trade press, went for it, this was just after standing in a dog turd I think...in other words extremely lucky, right place, right time!
Old Mar 6th 2015, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

dechamp is a glorious beacon of lightdechamp is a glorious beacon of lightdechamp is a glorious beacon of lightdechamp is a glorious beacon of lightdechamp is a glorious beacon of lightdechamp is a glorious beacon of lightdechamp is a glorious beacon of lightdechamp is a glorious beacon of lightdechamp is a glorious beacon of lightdechamp is a glorious beacon of lightdechamp is a glorious beacon of light

IEC started pnp 3 months later now applied for PR.

Shy kids get no sweets.
Old Mar 14th 2015, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

wiganfem is an unknown quantity at this point

speaking of trucking are you guys aware a certain red team have an add on their fb forum, that if you are a trucker in Canada, worried your permit will not be renewed or told you can't get PR etc......and in Lethbridge, Winnipeg or willing to relocate, then to contact them!!! i thought they couldnt get any lmias and had send people home??
Old Mar 16th 2015, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

nikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond repute

I knew I should have applied as soon as I moved back after my second IEC. I applied for PNP with my employer but they got into financial problems and I had to withdraw my application and move home. I then was unsure what to do so stayed home working to save money. 2 years later and I was looking to apply and now with Express Entry it seems my experience and education is no longer enough. I was a manager of a candy store.
I have maybe 400 points now I think.
I heard with CEC application you can potentially apply and be put into the job bank for employers to find you or invite you for PNP. But with a retail and admin background i'm not sure its feasible.
Is it best to try and get TWP and then go for PR or should I just give up on my dream and stay in the UK
Old Mar 16th 2015, 2:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JnJ2015
[B]
I would love to hear stories of people who successfully achieved a job offer in Canada. How you went about getting it and how it's worked out for you.
Things have changed greatly I'm sure but 25 years ago my wife was actually recruited for a nursing position by a Toronto hospital at a job fair in the UK. She went along with a friend who was interested (my wife wasn't) but the friend turned the recruiter down and so he offered a job to my wife on the spot! A few months later we had our 1 year visas. This was pre-internet and I tagged along to Canada like a moron thinking I could just get a job offer, get my own work visa and start work. I got a job offer as a software developer the day after we arrived (I had contacted a recruitment agency ahead of time and a recruiter had set up an interview). I was working in a specialized IT field at the time that had a serious shortage of developers so the job offer part was easy. Then I got a shock when I was told by a government drone that it doesn't work that way - they don't just hand out work visas to immigrants who get job offers. My job had to be vetted to make sure that Canadians had been given a chance to apply. Luckily my boss could prove an 18 month search that had turned up nothing so my visa was approved. Looking back, it's amazing how naive and ignorant we were. We ended up staying 7 years - eventually becoming citizens.
Old Mar 16th 2015, 4:01 pm
Just Joined

chrisrogers123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Canada welcomes new migrants with valuable skills and qualifications, however searching for employment will be a challenge. It is important to be realistic and understand that you may not be able to find your 'dream job' straight away.
Old Mar 16th 2015, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Things have changed greatly I'm sure....
Seems like it! I applied for CSQ August 1995 (no job offer). Interviewed in September of that year, application went to Federal (I don't think it was called CIC back then) in January '96, landed as PR September '96.

Freelanced, then got first job I applied for in January '97.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.