Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How Canadianized are you ?

How Canadianized are you ?

Old Aug 13th 2006, 4:34 am
Forum Regular

miraclepie is just really nicemiraclepie is just really nicemiraclepie is just really nicemiraclepie is just really nicemiraclepie is just really nicemiraclepie is just really nicemiraclepie is just really nicemiraclepie is just really nicemiraclepie is just really nicemiraclepie is just really nice
Default Re: How Canadianized are you ?

Originally Posted by Deer Hunter
Okay then you are Canadian when you stop calling that Sprite tasting stuff you call lemonade lemonade. I once went out to buy an English friend 'lemonade' for a shandy, it took me 2 goes and a huge argument to get right stuff. I couldn't understand why anyone would want to put lemon drink in thier beer (or 'lemonade' either).

Just wondering what the "right stuff" is...what is "british lemonade?" is it the same as "american lemonade"?
Old Aug 13th 2006, 2:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by miraclepie
Just wondering what the "right stuff" is...what is "british lemonade?" is it the same as "american lemonade"?
I'm not Deer Hunter but I can't find clear diet lemonade, which I wanted to mix with Pimms. I can find diet Sprite (lemon/lime) and various other shop-brand lemon/lime knock-offs, or full sugar cloudy lemon-only "old fashioned" lemonade, but not the bog standard 25p Tesco stuff that tastes of lemon alone, is clear, and has no sugar. If I'm being particularly dense, maybe someone can point me in the right direction.
Old Aug 13th 2006, 2:48 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
... the bog standard 25p Tesco stuff that tastes of lemon alone, is clear, and has no sugar. .
Ah but "British lemonade" does not actually taste of lemons, and has not ever had a lemon or any part of a lemon connected with it's making! It is simply a fizzy sweet tasting drink with an indeterminate but quite refreshing flavour, and makes a very good mixer. It is, as far as I can see, not sold anywhere in the world except the UK, though France has something they call "limonade" ("limon"= lime ..... not that there is any lime juice in it either! ) which seems to be the same thing.

I use Sprite here for "lemonade" use, and I remember we did in Greece. But I find Sprite on its own just too tasteless, especially the pumped version they have in bars, which always seems very watered down to me, especially when they add a ton of ice, whoch they do unless you ask them not to.

American lemonade, just in case anyone is really confused, is a non-carbonated drink made from real lemon juice and water and lots of sugar. Chilled, it is very refreshing on a hot day. Very "lemony"!
Old Aug 13th 2006, 8:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Liana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really nice

I like Canadian lemonade- you are right, it is a lovely drink on a hot day.
Canadianised-well I do call pavements "sidewalks" but I have not got my head Canadianised enough, and never will, to say or write:
1)"off of" (of)
2) "could of" (could have/could've)
3) "your" (you're).
Old Aug 13th 2006, 8:07 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Liana
but I have not got my head Canadianised enough, and never will, to say or write:
1)"off of" (of)
3) "your" (you're).
That's not Canadian, it's just wrong!
Old Aug 13th 2006, 8:14 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Liana
I like Canadian lemonade- you are right, it is a lovely drink on a hot day.
Canadianised-well I do call pavements "sidewalks" but I have not got my head Canadianised enough, and never will, to say or write:
1)"off of" (of)
3) "your" (you're).
Actually your example is wrong so perhaps you are Canadianised enough.

1)"off of" should actually read (off)

...and I agree with Morwenna it not really a Canadianism it's just plain wrong.
Old Aug 13th 2006, 9:53 pm
little snowy owl

Doesn't "off of" actually mean "from"? Example: "I bought it off of the guy next door". Oh, I suppose it can just mean "off" too, like "Get off of the table!!"

I have heard it in England too, and it does set my teeth on edge.
Old Aug 13th 2006, 9:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Morwenna
Ah but "British lemonade" does not actually taste of lemons, and has not ever had a lemon or any part of a lemon connected with it's making! It is simply a fizzy sweet tasting drink with an indeterminate but quite refreshing flavour, and makes a very good mixer. It is, as far as I can see, not sold anywhere in the world except the UK, though France has something they call "limonade" ("limon"= lime ..... not that there is any lime juice in it either! ) which seems to be the same thing.

I use Sprite here for "lemonade" use, and I remember we did in Greece. But I find Sprite on its own just too tasteless, especially the pumped version they have in bars, which always seems very watered down to me, especially when they add a ton of ice, whoch they do unless you ask them not to.

American lemonade, just in case anyone is really confused, is a non-carbonated drink made from real lemon juice and water and lots of sugar. Chilled, it is very refreshing on a hot day. Very "lemony"!

Interesting because that's how I make my lemonade (the american way) when I have time, otherwise I use cystral light or one of the instant powders from the store. I've never ever heard of using sprite as lemonade!
Old Aug 13th 2006, 10:03 pm

Doesn't "off of" actually mean "from"? Example: "I bought it off of the guy next door". Oh, I suppose it can just mean "off" too, like "Get off of the table!!"

I have heard it in England too, and it does set my teeth on edge.
I've heard it used in both contexts. It drives me nuts when I hear it, especially on the news for goodness sake.

Many years ago Trudy was a legal secretary and she got in a big fight with one of the firms young lawyers because he wanted to use "off of" in a letter and she wouldn't let him. Something to do with the "The car was parked off of the highway when it was struck".

Another one that drives me insane is "unthaw" for melt as in "the ice is unthawing".

Or to "hone in on" something instead of to "home in on". Grrrrrrrrrr
Old Aug 13th 2006, 10:04 pm
little snowy owl

Originally Posted by willmore
I've never ever heard of using sprite as lemonade!
Well you wouldn't, would you, if what you call lemonade is that flat lemony stuff!
Old Aug 13th 2006, 10:06 pm

Well you wouldn't, would you, if what you call lemonade is that flat lemony stuff!
Aaahh, you mean the real thing and no I don't mean Coke.
Old Aug 13th 2006, 10:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Guess it depends on how much spice you like in your life!
Old Aug 14th 2006, 2:30 am
ABW
No driving taxi as 11/06

ABW is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: How Canadianized are you ?

Hey Rich...
Since I moved to Ottawa ,
I eat more shawarma like nobody's business.
I also eat poutine and drink Molson Dry.
I tend to drive/obey the speed limit (compare to when I lived in the states where speed limit were merely ornaments).
I go to Tim Horton's for double double and timbit donuts.
My blood pressure stabilizes to 124/85 compare to 150/97 when I lived in the states.
Old Aug 14th 2006, 11:29 am
Dismember

scrubbedexpat074 is an unknown quantity at this point

I say all the right words apart from "soccer" and "diaper"

When I go shopping at the local retail park, I have driven the 80 yards from Zellers to Sears rather than walking.

I have been assimilated by Tim Hortons

I chopped a tree down with and an axe this week then pulled the root out with my jeep (should it be "How stereotyped are you?)
Old Aug 14th 2006, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

davio28 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jossie
Can Canadians understand your Geordie accent, as most English people find it difficult to understand what I'm saying and I do not have a strong Geordie accent at all more of a soft north east one??? and Toonies for me is a NEWCASTLE supporter COME ON THE LADS!!!!
I find i have to drop all the slang otherwise they have no idea what iam talking about. Even when i do that some people dont have a clue what iam saying so i end up trying to talk properly.

On the otherhand some people dont have a problem if i just drop the slang. Its pretty funny but the thing i like most is very few people can place my accent. They either think it is Irish or Scottish or Maybe English theyve never heard an accent like it i guess.

Thats not even mentioning that some words have different meanings over here it can be pretty funny :P

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.