Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How can you stop someone opening UK bank/credit accounts in your name?

How can you stop someone opening UK bank/credit accounts in your name?

Old Jun 10th 2017, 8:43 pm
Just Joined

sonnyjames is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How can you stop someone opening UK bank/credit accounts in your name?

I moved from the UK to Canada more than five years ago. Closed off all my bank/credit accounts with the exception of one (which I regularly monitor / use).

I received an email from a travel company this weekend including a balance of payment invoice for a holiday booked in my name in the UK. Definitely not something I booked.

Could be a coincidence - someone with my name and they've just used the wrong email address. But how can I be absolutely sure nobody has opened any credit accounts in my name since I've left the country? I thought I'd run a credit check via Expedian or similar, but it seems the credit agencies only run checks for people living in the country (as far as I can see) so I've no way that I know of to check whether this might be an issue?

Anyone had similar experience / any ideas how to make sure your identity doesn't get used once you've moved countries?! I don't think it's happened, but I'd have no idea if someone had racked up thousands of pounds of debt in my name while I've been gone.

Last edited by sonnyjames; Jun 10th 2017 at 8:51 pm.
Old Jun 10th 2017, 10:52 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How can you stop someone opening UK bank/credit accounts in your name?

Originally Posted by sonnyjames
I moved from the UK to Canada more than five years ago. Closed off all my bank/credit accounts with the exception of one (which I regularly monitor / use).

I received an email from a travel company this weekend including a balance of payment invoice for a holiday booked in my name in the UK. Definitely not something I booked.

Could be a coincidence - someone with my name and they've just used the wrong email address. But how can I be absolutely sure nobody has opened any credit accounts in my name since I've left the country? I thought I'd run a credit check via Expedian or similar, but it seems the credit agencies only run checks for people living in the country (as far as I can see) so I've no way that I know of to check whether this might be an issue?

Anyone had similar experience / any ideas how to make sure your identity doesn't get used once you've moved countries?! I don't think it's happened, but I'd have no idea if someone had racked up thousands of pounds of debt in my name while I've been gone.
Hopefully it's a coincidence, but have a read over this thread as it has links that may be useful to you.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/canad...-theft-893526/

Do you have an address you can use in the UK? Relative? Friend?

Hope you get it sorted!

Last edited by Siouxie; Jun 10th 2017 at 10:56 pm.
Old Jun 11th 2017, 2:18 am
Just Joined

sonnyjames is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How can you stop someone opening UK bank/credit accounts in your name?

That's great, thanks Siouxie! Will take a good read through that now...
Old Jun 11th 2017, 2:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Get in touch with the company's complaint or customer service department. Do it writing from another email address maybe a work one perhaps??

Explain what's happened and ask what steps they're taking to sort it out.

That's how we started to resolve matters not that you ever really can. šŸ™

It can always happen again and in my husband's case it did after a gap of several years. It hasn't happenedā€‹ to me (touch wood) but my kids can't even spell my name which I suspect is helpful in this context.

We ran up against similar issues with the credit agencies. My husband did report it online to the police.

Last edited by Snowy560; Jun 11th 2017 at 2:30 pm.