Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How to Avoid excess duty or customs fees

How to Avoid excess duty or customs fees

Old Dec 15th 2014, 3:52 am
Forum Regular

deerhunter74 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to Avoid excess duty or customs fees

Would it be possible to open a USA post box im working in Alberta on a temporary foreign work permit, I'm trying to purchase goods in the usa and don't want to pay excessive shipping to Canada ,and also customs fees have any members opened po boxes in the states any advice would be gratefull cheers
Old Dec 15th 2014, 6:56 am
BE Enthusiast

tee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to Avoid excess duty or customs fees

There's several company's in the US that offer the type of service your after. I imagine there will be someone at your closest land border who offers a parcel receiving service. You don't need a postbox as such, I use a company in Blaine who charge $3 to receive parcels and I can pick up anytime.
You might pay tax on your way back at the border, you might not, depends how much you have spent and the mood of the guard I've found but you'll avoid postage and brokerage fees and for me its always been worth the drive even taking into account gas.
Old Dec 15th 2014, 9:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Having me as a friend
As tee1 stated a lot of land border crossings have parcel pick ups on the US side for a small fee. Bear in mind any shipping costs are included in the transaction value including any state taxes as the goods are not being directly shipped to Canada. No personal exemptions if a straight pick up and not meeting the 24 or 48 hour exemption.
On some items definitely worth it on some not so much and on the odd occasion you end up paying more.
Old Dec 15th 2014, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

Well my closest border crossing would be in montana sweetgrass but the next big town would be shelby anyone have any links as I want to purchase some goods before Christmas I know I'm cutting it fine
Old Dec 15th 2014, 4:04 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deerhunter74
Well my closest border crossing would be in montana sweetgrass but the next big town would be shelby anyone have any links as I want to purchase some goods before Christmas I know I'm cutting it fine
Is it made in the USA? I think those items are exempt. FL is that right?
Old Dec 15th 2014, 5:39 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Is it made in the USA? I think those items are exempt. FL is that right?
NAFTA exempts goods US/Mex manufactured goods from duty, but not taxes. GST/GST/PST still applies.

In some sintances, goods shipped to WA, WA state tax applies where the vendor has a physical presence in the state. This applies to BC residents and not AB residents.
Old Dec 15th 2014, 6:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deerhunter74
Why bother with Google or Yahoo when you have me

Border Storage - Home

http://www.montanashipping.com/
Old Dec 16th 2014, 12:51 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know what it takes to get charged duty and taxes at the border, but so far I have lucked out and never been asked to pay anything, but maybe the BC guards at the smaller crossings don't want to do the paperwork.

I know one guy who buys everything in the US goes down months and brings back hundreds of dollars worth of stuff, but has never been asked to pay taxes on it.

I guess its all very random dependent on the mood of the officer.
Old Dec 16th 2014, 6:10 am
BE Enthusiast

neilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond repute

I got caught with 4 packs of smokes over the limit during a full truck & trailer inspect and you'd thought I'd cut off the heads of children and eat them the way I was treated. I got sent in to pay the duty and the cashier told me I was wasting his time, he went in the back office got on the phone to the officer that sent me in and ripped him a new one.
He came back out and sent me on my way, no payment.
Old Dec 16th 2014, 9:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by neilg14
I got caught with 4 packs of smokes over the limit during a full truck & trailer inspect and you'd thought I'd cut off the heads of children and eat them the way I was treated. I got sent in to pay the duty and the cashier told me I was wasting his time, he went in the back office got on the phone to the officer that sent me in and ripped him a new one.
He came back out and sent me on my way, no payment.
Good job you didn't have a 1.75 litre bottle of booze along with the extra 4 packs of smokes as that could have resulted in a death sentence or at least 25 years without parole
Old Dec 16th 2014, 11:55 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Good job you didn't have a 1.75 litre bottle of booze along with the extra 4 packs of smokes as that could have resulted in a death sentence or at least 25 years without parole
Would having more than your allotted $20 or 20lbs of cheese be considered a crime against humanity then?
Old Dec 16th 2014, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Former Lancastrian your a star thanks for the super link my friend
Old Dec 16th 2014, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

Former Lancastrian I owe you a pint my dear friend