Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Housing in Canada?

Housing in Canada?

Old Sep 10th 2019, 9:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Housing in Canada?

20ft x 100ft garage for sale in Toronto for $600,000. Obviously the price is for the land but it doesn’t look much wider.
Old Sep 10th 2019, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lukesmith2
Problem my inlaws would be giving us $200k and want us to get a house with a finished walk out basement which is like a separate suite so they can live 6 months of the year over here.
Wait, you have $200k cash to put down? That's pretty good as long as you have a relatively decent income. You could put $50-$100k of that down as a downpayment on a property without a suite/unfinished basement, then hire a contractor and use the rest of the money to renovate it and finish the basement.

We're actually planning on doing something along those lines in the next year or so - buying an older home with a front double garage and converting the garage into a livable suite with a bedroom, bathroom and living area for my mother-in-law.
Old Sep 10th 2019, 9:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Problem my inlaws would be giving us $200k and want us to get a house with a finished walk out basement which is like a separate suite so they can live 6 months of the year over here.
"Live”...I hope they don’t mention that to the Imm. officer when they enter Canada.

Also hope they make sure they have medical insurance and can afford to pay for any meds. I spent 5 days in hospital as a visitor...no surgery...approx $40K...which we had to pay before I left the hospital.
Old Sep 10th 2019, 11:26 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Yes also if you look at local incomes vs price of housing its always very high. For example Halifax is a very affordable place to live or so you would think. But take into account the high tax rates and low incomes it that $250k house suddenly is just unaffordable.
That's just not true (and ignores the 100+ properties for $80k to $250K around Halifax).
There are websites that show how much income is needed to buy properties. Those marginally higher taxes don't make up the gain.

Your $200k would buy perfectly good houses with no mortgage or only a small mortgage. Taxes are not going to take up 100% of your income.
Also to live any quality of life in Canada you need to be in or at least within 2 hours of a major city as Canada is so huge living far and beyond sounds all great until you need to buy something.
Nonsense. Far and beyond? What does that mean, no life east of Toronto?
Old Sep 11th 2019, 5:52 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I am very aware of what an in-law suite is - and a walk out basement. - but you say "over here" - are they in a position to be able to live in Canada for 6 months of the year? It's not a given that they would be allowed to stay that long unless they have a supervisa or similar.

Why not save up some money so that you are not relying on your in-laws to provide the funds.. then you can choose what type of house YOU want to live in, rather than accommodating someone elses requirements.

Or else buy a cheaper house and convert the basement to a walk-out using some of the money they are prepared to give you. It's not impossible and it doesn't have to be that expensive if you choose a house with an unfinished basement and do the work yourself - or even if the back garden is large enough, look to build an in-law suite (there may be grants available for those) https://loanscanada.ca/money/financi...aging-parents/
https://showmethegreen.ca/home/home-...novation-tips/

https://www.calgary.ca/PDA/pd/Pages/...direct=/suites

Last edited by Siouxie; Sep 11th 2019 at 5:57 am.
Old Sep 11th 2019, 8:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

I can't make sense of ever buying a house in this country they are way over priced. I live in Calgary, but I lived in Milton, Ontario and Toronto. The housing prices are high all over the country. Even here in Calgary a nice house will cost you $500k with a large down payment people think thats cheap (it is in comparison to the rest of the countries cities) but taking into account property tax and insurance repairs it would cost over $1500 a month more than renting for me. Also prices are going down not up here so its a bad idea and housing prices have never been that much more that $500k house during the boom was maybe worth $600k.

It doesn't fill me with much hope of ever getting a house as this countries housing situation is as bad as the UK.

My company is offering an intra-company transfer to work in Phoenix USA and houses are reasonable down there $250k american will get a nice new house there. But healthcare and labor rules are terrible in USA and I don't want to move there also colleagues down there always complaining about the unbearable summer heat and you are literally stuck indoors for 5 months not only that all the immigration stuff again I don't want to do it.

I feel stuck in Canada I make way more money than I do back in the UK here and my job is not stressful atall like it was back in the UK however it doesn't feel like a forever place as ill never buy a house. My main reason for wanting a house is security as we've been evicted because the landlord wanted to live back in the place before and we can customize it ourself and take care of it. I would love to go back to the UK in my gut feeling however I know practically the sh*t money there and the living so close to people after having space like Canada I would probably be depressed for years to come.

Anyone else in the same boat?
You say the situation is just as bad as the UK, but which parts of the UK are you comparing to and you mention that you lived in Calgary,Toronto etc. All of the places you mention (including Phoenix, San Diego, LA, San Francisco) are huge cities with a shortage of affordable housing. You say your job in the UK was stressful, but I'm sure there are people in Canada who have a stressful job/vice versa. You say the sh*t money will probably make you depressed, but if you end up with more money at the end of the month and actually have a house, I don't see a problem there. You also mention the space in Canada and less people, but is that really the case close to a city with over 1 million people compared to a smaller village? At the end of the day it's all about priorities and no matter where you are, you will have to make compromises. It's the same for us in Ireland and some people choose to live in crowded Dublin for a so called better wage. We decided to go West instead and have to live with the fact that we are earning less than people in Dublin, don't have a Starbucks on our front door and so on. But even with a lower wage, I'd rather have a house here and a small holiday home in Spain, than having to pay a huge mortgage in Dublin for a tiny apartment. Of course only drinking 1 pint a week instead of 10 helps too:-)

Just saying that be it UK, Canada or any other country you have the same challenges.
Old Sep 11th 2019, 12:37 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
...some people choose to live in crowded Dublin for a so called better wage. We decided to go West instead and have to live with the fact that we are earning less than people in Dublin, don't have a Starbucks on our front door and so on. But even with a lower wage, I'd rather have a house here and a small holiday home in Spain....

It's amazing what can be done with the spare money available to offset the "deprivation" of not living in a city that never sleeps.
Old Sep 12th 2019, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Well if they keep doing that they may well be stopped from coming into Canada- they should apply for a parents visa and have the proper insurance.

Old Sep 12th 2019, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

lukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shelley748
Well if they keep doing that they may well be stopped from coming into Canada- they should apply for a parents visa and have the proper insurance.
They would only stay a maximum of 6 months probably not even that long in reality it would be like 2 month stints maybe twice or three times a year as they have a house and other commitments in the UK. So theres really no need. But interesting that super visa if they did ever downsize in the UK and look at spending more than 6 months over here I would look at that for them. I hadn't even heard of it before you mentioned so thanks for that.
Old Sep 15th 2019, 3:26 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

They would only stay a maximum of 6 months probably not even that long in reality it would be like 2 month stints maybe twice or three times a year as they have a house and other commitments in the UK. So theres really no need. But interesting that super visa if they did ever downsize in the UK and look at spending more than 6 months over here I would look at that for them. I hadn't even heard of it before you mentioned so thanks for that.
trying to get my head around this. Your in-laws will give you $200k towards a house. You earn loads more than you did in the UK. Yet you still can’t afford a suitable house? Where in the UK did you come from?