Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Housewife or IT?

Housewife or IT?

Old Feb 22nd 2009, 12:27 pm
Just Joined

HughesFamily is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Housewife or IT?

My family is moving over as soon as we possible can (uk house price's slowing down the process) and I was wondering how the humble housewife is viewed?

I used to work in IT but finished work to be a full time stay at home mum and have found that I absolutly love it. I know that some areas around the world encourage people to go back to work as soon as they possibly can after having a child and some quite encourage a parent to stay at home, what is New Brunswick / Canada like in this respect?

Are there many stay at home mums / dads or does everyone simply put their kids in day care and return to work?
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

riosangel is a jewel in the roughriosangel is a jewel in the roughriosangel is a jewel in the roughriosangel is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Housewife or IT?

Originally Posted by HughesFamily
My family is moving over as soon as we possible can (uk house price's slowing down the process) and I was wondering how the humble housewife is viewed?

I used to work in IT but finished work to be a full time stay at home mum and have found that I absolutly love it. I know that some areas around the world encourage people to go back to work as soon as they possibly can after having a child and some quite encourage a parent to stay at home, what is New Brunswick / Canada like in this respect?

Are there many stay at home mums / dads or does everyone simply put their kids in day care and return to work?
Do what is best for you and your family, don't listen to anyone else. I went back to work after having my second child before I really wanted to and I have always regretted it, I basically worked to pay nursery fees. All because people would say 'when are you going to get a job' etc. My husband has a good job so I don't know why my staying at home with the children would bring this response and I don't know why I was stupid enough to listen to it. Personally I don't think that women libbers did a lot of good for women who are now expected to work and be a housewife. I now work p/t with school holidays and that is enough for me.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 5:13 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

My family is moving over as soon as we possible can
Nice to see you joined up.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 6:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

Don't worry about it. In my experience since moving over here it's not common, but then again, I didn't know many other SAHM's when we lived back in UK.

What IT job did you used to do? I used to be a Senior Software Engineer, pre-kids, and I think people thought it was strange not to go back after having my first child (in '99) but I was never someone who "lived to work". Being at home, looking after our children, felt far more rewarding to me.

Back in the UK I did do a bit of contracting over the internet to supplement my DH's wages (as the sudden 50% drop in income was quite hard to manage!) and we've got a small PC repair business (home based) going on now, but for all intents and purposes, I've been a SAHM for 9 years now and I'm not looking forward to my youngest starting full time school next September. I'll really miss him!

Old Feb 22nd 2009, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

Monkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to all

Well where we are in BC no one cares a jot.

I don't work and I don't have kids. I look after the house, garden, animals, errands and do volunteer work. My OH and I love that we don't need to spend the evenings and weekends on chores and although we don't have as much money as we had when we both had stressful jobs in the UK, our lives are much more enjoyable.

Status certainly doesn't seem as important here. It's so refreshing not to be judged on what "you do". (Or don't do!) There are certainly no designer labels required and it's very laid back regarding what car you drive ...never seen so many heaps on the road. Hmmm... very unlike the Home Counties I left behind. Thank Gawd.

Do what makes you and your family happy.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

riosangel is a jewel in the roughriosangel is a jewel in the roughriosangel is a jewel in the roughriosangel is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Monkey Puzzle
Well where we are in BC no one cares a jot.

I don't work and I don't have kids. I look after the house, garden, animals, errands and do volunteer work. My OH and I love that we don't need to spend the evenings and weekends on chores and although we don't have as much money as we had when we both had stressful jobs in the UK, our lives are much more enjoyable.

Status certainly doesn't seem as important here. It's so refreshing not to be judged on what "you do". (Or don't do!) There are certainly no designer labels required and it's very laid back regarding what car you drive ...never seen so many heaps on the road. Hmmm... very unlike the Home Counties I left behind. Thank Gawd.

Do what makes you and your family happy.
Sounds like heaven to me
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 7:09 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Monkey Puzzle
And if one is in Atlantic Canada, with housing sorted and around £55k to spare, consider buying a rental. The return can greatly exceed interest rates from having the money in the bank instead, with no huge effort involved.

The income can reduce the reliance on commuting or stressful/full time jobs.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 7:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

pinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by riosangel
Do what is best for you and your family, don't listen to anyone else. I went back to work after having my second child before I really wanted to and I have always regretted it, I basically worked to pay nursery fees. All because people would say 'when are you going to get a job' etc. My husband has a good job so I don't know why my staying at home with the children would bring this response and I don't know why I was stupid enough to listen to it. Personally I don't think that women libbers did a lot of good for women who are now expected to work and be a housewife. I now work p/t with school holidays and that is enough for me.
Too right!! i am a SAHM and am moving to toronto in 2 weeks, i too have a few worries about how i'll be viewed over there as everyone seems to work. Having said that i am one of a few stay at home mums in the village i'm in now and i have had to become quite defensive about the fact i have 3 children under 7, that it IS hard work and that i am giving my kids their mum and why should i work if i'm lucky enough not to have to. My husband likes it as he can concentrate on his job now (i used to be a nurse and work shifts after our 1st child) Its not all 1950's though, as i refuse to wear an apron!!
Do what you can and enjoy, they are only little once!
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 8:34 am
Just Joined

HughesFamily is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Housewife or IT?

I am so glad you have all said that, i love being at home with my boys are I honestly believe that they benefit from beign with a parent all day they are both very smart for their ages and I believe its coz they have me nattering and playing with them all day long!!

I do feel sometime in the UK that people tend to think your either lazy or on loads of benefits if your a stay at home mum, which we all know isnt the case I am working harder with longer hours now than I have ever done and my husband is just out of all the wage markers so we only get pennies from the government.

My sister and her family are moving out with us too so she has said she will give me some pocket money for having her kids in the school holidays ect, so it will work best all round.