Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Houses selling like hot cakes !!!

Houses selling like hot cakes !!!

Old Apr 14th 2006, 3:10 pm
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Houses selling like hot cakes !!!

Originally Posted by Linda P
You are right, they are selling around here very fast (Edmonton) we are hearing of properties being sold before the sign goes up. Another story was that when a potential buyer tried to arrange a viewing, they were told that there was already 3 offers on the table, so they were not showing anyone else the house....but if they wanted to put a ' closed offer ' in they could, can you imagine putting an offer in on a house you hadn't even been to see! :scared:

It seems to be going mad at the moment, typical just when we will be starting to look!!!! Our house went on the market in the UK yesterday!!! fingers crossed for us!!!!
Hi Linda....................Good Luck with your UK sale. We'll keep our fingers crossed for you too. !
Old Apr 16th 2006, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

happylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Linda P
You are right, they are selling around here very fast (Edmonton) we are hearing of properties being sold before the sign goes up. Another story was that when a potential buyer tried to arrange a viewing, they were told that there was already 3 offers on the table, so they were not showing anyone else the house....but if they wanted to put a ' closed offer ' in they could, can you imagine putting an offer in on a house you hadn't even been to see! :scared:

It seems to be going mad at the moment, typical just when we will be starting to look!!!! Our house went on the market in the UK yesterday!!! fingers crossed for us!!!!

Hi guys,

Yes, prices are increasing at an alarming rate. We visited Calgary in 05 and 06. Family detached 3 bed, double garage was CAD$260k in 05, now 06 $380K and climbing..... I'm not a Realtor, but saw several properties like this, also 'multiple bids' is the thing right now - as people here said - lots of buyers, not enough available housing. One house stated 390k, but sold for 420k to the highest bidder. Clearly over the odds and value of the property. These houses were fairly ordinary in 'non-lake' areas of Calgary (usually 'cheaper').

I knew they'd increase, but was surprised at the rate - last quarter of 2005 really jumped.

Anyway, it's just another obstacle on your plans, but shouldn't deter you if that's what you really want.

All The Best.
Old Apr 16th 2006, 8:36 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happylandings
Hi guys,

Yes, prices are increasing at an alarming rate. We visited Calgary in 05 and 06. Family detached 3 bed, double garage was CAD$260k in 05, now 06 $380K and climbing..... I'm not a Realtor, but saw several properties like this, also 'multiple bids' is the thing right now - as people here said - lots of buyers, not enough available housing. One house stated 390k, but sold for 420k to the highest bidder. Clearly over the odds and value of the property. These houses were fairly ordinary in 'non-lake' areas of Calgary (usually 'cheaper').

I knew they'd increase, but was surprised at the rate - last quarter of 2005 really jumped.

Anyway, it's just another obstacle on your plans, but shouldn't deter you if that's what you really want.

All The Best.
Since when have non-lake areas been cheaper??????
I think you'll find that the most expensive areas in Calgary (certainly based on sqft/$) do not have Lakes.
Not everybody wants to live in a Lake Community!
Old Apr 17th 2006, 10:03 am
BE Enthusiast

dexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud of

Hi guys,

All The Best.
Up by a third in a year. How on earth can the locals get on the housing market?
Old Apr 17th 2006, 11:19 am
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dexdaw
Haven't I heard that before somewhere......................................... .......Ah yes, the UK.
Old Apr 17th 2006, 11:32 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dexdaw

have you seen Trailer park Boys?!!!!! :scared:
Old Apr 18th 2006, 7:25 am
Forum Regular

happylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Since when have non-lake areas been cheaper??????
I think you'll find that the most expensive areas in Calgary (certainly based on sqft/$) do not have Lakes.
Not everybody wants to live in a Lake Community!
From the nine houses we viewed - the most expensive were in so called 'Lake Areas.' I personally don't mind living in a non-lake community. (Ammenities, neighbourhood and house size etc. are far more important).
I told you I wasn't a Realtor.
Old Apr 18th 2006, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

From the nine houses we viewed - the most expensive were in so called 'Lake Areas.' I personally don't mind living in a non-lake community. (Ammenities, neighbourhood and house size etc. are far more important).

The point is....they are all flaming expensive! Thinking of pitching a tent there instead.....a four season one of course.......
Old Apr 18th 2006, 10:33 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

LOL
I wont even dare ask who your realtor was!
But I could hazard a guess!!!

Lets hope the market plateaus out for you.