Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Household essentials in Calgary for our move

Household essentials in Calgary for our move

Old Apr 12th 2012, 1:29 am
Britnadian

hpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Household essentials in Calgary for our move

When you're looking at your stuff in the UK, ask yourself if you really are attached to it? Your IKEA pots and pans etc over there... don't send them, not worth the cost. Your priceless antiques and heirlooms that you want to hang onto, OK, send those, but know you're accepting the cost of doing so. If you have a really expensive sofa etc... ok, but see above.

Personally, I'm on the side of sell stuff in the UK and buy when over here.

I just had a few bagloads of stuff that I/family brought over and I was fine. I'm well set up now.

Come to think about it, I would have planned out making decisions. E.g. "monday morning: car shopping, monday afternoon: furniture, tuesday: houses". Rather than make the decisions themselves (some of them you just can't make unless you're here), I would have planned out my research...
Old Apr 12th 2012, 1:03 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

If you have a whole houseful of furniture, clothes, tools etc etc, then its probably worth the cost and hassle of bringing it over. Its going to be costly enough to replace the electrical stuff anyway(although much of that will work on transformers, although its a bit inconvenient)

If you are bringing stuff, you might as well bring as much as you canl, fill that container to the brim as it will cost the same anyway.

If you only have a bit of stuff, then its probably better to sell what you can and start fresh again. Medium amounts of stuff are the worst, there is no simple cost effective way to ship it, and you cant just bring it with you on the plane.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 2:40 pm
Don't call me MOM!!

snowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by hpka
When you're looking at your stuff in the UK, ask yourself if you really are attached to it? Your IKEA pots and pans etc over there... don't send them, not worth the cost. Your priceless antiques and heirlooms that you want to hang onto, OK, send those, but know you're accepting the cost of doing so. If you have a really expensive sofa etc... ok, but see above.

Personally, I'm on the side of sell stuff in the UK and buy when over here.

I just had a few bagloads of stuff that I/family brought over and I was fine. I'm well set up now.

Come to think about it, I would have planned out making decisions. E.g. "monday morning: car shopping, monday afternoon: furniture, tuesday: houses". Rather than make the decisions themselves (some of them you just can't make unless you're here), I would have planned out my research...
That's a good plan if you are single, but start adding kids into the equation and there's no way we could have even dreamt of doing that!
Old Apr 12th 2012, 9:14 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowcandy
That's a good plan if you are single, but start adding kids into the equation and there's no way we could have even dreamt of doing that!
we did it for a family of five (3children)..we sold all our our stuff in the UK and came to Canada with just what we could fit into our suitcases on the plane...worked out fine for us.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 1:36 am
Don't call me MOM!!

snowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
we did it for a family of five (3children)..we sold all our our stuff in the UK and came to Canada with just what we could fit into our suitcases on the plane...worked out fine for us.
Were your kids not a bit unhappy to sell their beloved toys?
Old Apr 13th 2012, 1:12 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowcandy
Were your kids not a bit unhappy to sell their beloved toys?
no our youngest kept his favourite two teddies that could be stuffed into the suitcase and we just bought them new stuff mainly for birthdays and chrimbo..the fact i was spending more quality time with my children more than made up for it
Old Apr 13th 2012, 1:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

We came over with an indentical number of family members and shipped everything bar major electricals. There is absolutely no way on earth we could have replaced what we brought with us for the cost of shipping it which, IIRC, was 3,500 pounds. I'm sure would could have replaced the items we took, but at a cost of way more than 3,500. Four double/queen beds, mattresses and bedding would like cost more than that in Canada. We did not wish to replace what we had in England with items purchased on Kijjiji.

Each to their own, of course
Old Apr 13th 2012, 4:46 pm
Every day's a school day

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
We came over with an indentical number of family members and shipped everything bar major electricals. There is absolutely no way on earth we could have replaced what we brought with us for the cost of shipping it which, IIRC, was 3,500 pounds. I'm sure would could have replaced the items we took, but at a cost of way more than 3,500. Four double/queen beds, mattresses and bedding would like cost more than that in Canada. We did not wish to replace what we had in England with items purchased on Kijjiji.

Each to their own, of course
yes but depends what value you got for your goods back in the UK when you sold it add that to your 3,500GBP and we ended up with well in excess of $10k to spend.

Last edited by cheeky_monkey; Apr 13th 2012 at 4:58 pm.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 4:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

yes but depends waht value you got for your goods back in the UK when you sold it add that to your 3,500GBP and we ended up with well in excess of $10k to spend.
I appreciate that. I doubt very much that we could have purchased new here for the sum of what we may have been able to sell our's for in the UK and shipping costs. There is then the issue of having diminishing items in the UK while everything is being sold. I don't believe our position is unusal if postings on this site are anything to go by.

$10,000 would not have been enough to replace what we brought with us.

As I said, each to their own, there is likely no correct solution.

Last edited by Almost Canadian; Apr 13th 2012 at 5:24 pm.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 5:00 pm
Every day's a school day

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I appreciate that. I doubt very much that we could have purchased new here for the sum what we may have been able to sell our's for in the UK and shipping costs. There is then the issue of having diminishing items in the UK while everything is being sold. I don't believe our position is unusal if postings on this site are anything to go by.

$10,000 would not have been enough to replace what we brought with us.

As I said, each to their own, there is likely no correct solution.
i am not saying there is a right or wrong way..but you can bring a family over here with out shipping everything with you if you dont want to.