Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

house sale just fell through.....have been dealing with a 'fruit loop'

house sale just fell through.....have been dealing with a 'fruit loop'

Old Jan 12th 2009, 10:33 am
9 months, start to finish

gibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond repute
Default house sale just fell through.....have been dealing with a 'fruit loop'

i've just ended the sale of my house.......yep, me! the guy was a 'fruit loop' and has been spinning me, estate agents etc etc. a pack of lies......

don't know what to say really.....apart from 'AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH HHHH'.....

so, it's back on the market and my plans to move at the end of this month have just gone up in flames.............the house is looking empty, have sold 'loads' of stuff on ebay, shippers are now in limbo and looks like 'plan B' is now in action..............

'AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHH HHHHHHHH'

had a feeling in my bones on this for the past two weeks...........

:curse:
Old Jan 12th 2009, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Stu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: house sale just fell through.....have been dealing with a 'fruit loop'

Thats a bummer
do you have jobs to go to in BC?
Old Jan 12th 2009, 10:44 am
9 months, start to finish

gibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: house sale just fell through.....have been dealing with a 'fruit loop'

Originally Posted by Stu-pot
Thats a bummer
do you have jobs to go to in BC?
thanks stu-pot.....hubby already there working.....my job is on 'perminent hold' until i land, so that's ok (ish).......just so damn cross...........i'm actually beyound tears!!!!!!!
Old Jan 12th 2009, 10:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Stu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond repute

We are looking to move as we have our visa's, but house hasn't sold, we're thinking of converting morgage to interest only and leaving it empty until it sells and moveto NS.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 10:51 am
BE Enthusiast

albertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=gibsonslanding;7155771]i've just ended the sale of my house.......yep, me! the guy was a 'fruit loop' and has been spinning me, estate agents etc etc. a pack of lies......

don't know what to say really.....apart from 'AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH HHHH'.....

so, it's back on the market and my plans to move at the end of this month have just gone up in flames.............the house is looking empty, have sold 'loads' of stuff on ebay, shippers are now in limbo and looks like 'plan B' is now in action..............

'AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHH HHHHHHHH'

had a feeling in my bones on this for the past two weeks...........

So sorry to hear that. Its this bloody climate but potential buyers should be vetted a bit more here to see if they are genuine.
There are loads of timewasters about at the mo.
Best of luck to you and hopefully you will get another buyer v soon.
Tina
Old Jan 12th 2009, 11:13 am

tinytears is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh no, what a bummer. Maybe he will get his head out of his backside and this may kick him into gear.

I really feel for you. I'd be raging.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 11:54 am
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

really sorry to hear this you must be gutted, glad to hear that you have a plan B to put into action and hope it means that you can get to Canada to be with your OH asap
Old Jan 12th 2009, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Snave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Stu-pot
We are looking to move as we have our visa's, but house hasn't sold, we're thinking of converting morgage to interest only and leaving it empty until it sells and moveto NS.
Beware of leaving the house empty - your insurance company will only give you 90 days cover if it is unoccupied (as I found to my cost).
We were stuck in limbo too and ended up selling to National Homebuyers: http://www.nationalhomebuyers.co.uk/
Old Jan 12th 2009, 1:01 pm
Arrived at last!!

woodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond repute

I am so sorry - you must be absolutely gutted.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 1:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

So, so sorry to hear that.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 1:41 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

I'm curious. In the UK is a Offer to Purchase accompanied by a monetary deposit? I notice that so many house sales appear to fall through, probably more so in the falling real estate market. This happens in Canada also but not, I think, to the same extent. If someone makes a 10% deposit on a $300k house they could possibly lose $30k should the deal not finalize, with greater risk of such in a falling market.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 1:55 pm

tinytears is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by brianscottie43
I'm curious. In the UK is a Offer to Purchase accompanied by a monetary deposit? I notice that so many house sales appear to fall through, probably more so in the falling real estate market. This happens in Canada also but not, I think, to the same extent. If someone makes a 10% deposit on a $300k house they could possibly lose $30k should the deal not finalize, with greater risk of such in a falling market.
There are no deposits as such, I don't think - when we bought the new house we had to put down a £100 deposit. I don't recall putting a deposit down on the old house until after all the surveys and so on have been done.

We are going back 15 years or so so I could well be wrong?

If I have this correct you only put the deposit down after all the surveys and when you sign the contract but quite often people sign and exchange within a couple of days.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 2:09 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brianscottie43
No, no deposits or anything in writing until the last minute. You can just go along and offer on a house, if someone offers more before completing then they may get the house and your offer dropped (gazumping). Right up until the minute the keys are about to change hands either party can change their minds. It's an absolutely crap system and it's about time it was changed. The Canadian system is much more sensible.

So sorry to hear your news gibsonlanding, you sort of suspected but it doesn't make it any easier. I hope you find someone else soon.

Last edited by Piff Poff; Jan 12th 2009 at 2:34 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 2:16 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tinytears
There are no deposits as such, I don't think - when we bought the new house we had to put down a £100 deposit. I don't recall putting a deposit down on the old house until after all the surveys and so on have been done.

We are going back 15 years or so so I could well be wrong?

If I have this correct you only put the deposit down after all the surveys and when you sign the contract but quite often people sign and exchange within a couple of days.
An offer is signed/accepted and accompanied by a cheque, but can be made subject to any building checks/conditions you want made. Now the seller may not like some of the conditions and then a negotiation has to take place.
If the offer is conditional on the sale of the buyer's house then the offer will be placed, but if another unconditional offer is made then the first buyer is allowed 24 hours to withdraw their condition or their deal is cancelled and deposit returned.
There are some people who would make a totally unconditional offer because they desperately want that particular house, come hell or high water, particularly if it's a recently new build.
There is no specific deposit formula but a seller has some control, by insisting on a sizeable amount to separate the serious buyers from those just playing/jerking around.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Getting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond repute

That's gutting Gibsonslanding - don't you just want to throttle 'em. Good news that your job is still here for you when you get here though. Best wishes for buying a sane buyer soon.

Eamonn & Janet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.