Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

House Prices - How LOW can you go?

Wikiposts

House Prices - How LOW can you go?

Old Feb 23rd 2012, 8:15 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: House Prices - How LOW can you go?

Originally Posted by R I C H
My philosophy when buying a house has always been to pay the absolute minimum possible, and if I insult the seller initially with a lower than expected offer, then so be it. I'm not looking to make friends.
I couldn't agree more. An important factor is how long the property has been on the market (your realtor will know this).

The house I bought had been for sale for several months and had had it's asking price reduced first by 10% and then a further 11%. I bought it for 9% less than that.
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 8:57 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I agree there is no rule of thumb. The listing price does not necessarily reflect a true market price.

Your realtor can find the actual selling prices of recent comparables so you can easily work out an rough market price. After that it is just a matter of how much you want to buy that particular house.
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

Toronto shows no sign of slowing down, so expect 5-20% over asking if buying here.
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 12:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

If you're looking in Quebec....

We've put our house on the market with 5% built in for offers (agent's advice), in other words it's put on at X with an expectation of X-5% as a reasonable offer.

It's been on for ages and we haven't had an offer yet!
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 12:50 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by London Mike
Toronto shows no sign of slowing down, so expect 5-20% over asking if buying here.
I think that's overhyped a bit. I agree that as long as interest rates remain near their historic lows, there'll be no house price deflation in Toronto/GTA.

Someone (perhaps it was you) pointed out that immigration still provides for housing demand, stimulated even more by the slow down in construction caused by the credit crunch since 2008/9.

I'll probably be flogging the house I have here in a couple of years, so I hope that your 20% prediction works out though. It's already worth three times what I paid for it (at least), but every little helps.
Old Feb 27th 2012, 6:45 am
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by London Mike
A lot of the sales over asking price in Toronto are due to the strategy of listing the house at under market value, to generate multiple offers, people then bid way over asking (and often way over what it is really worth) to get the house. Look at recent sales on the street to help you work out what the house is worth and remember that if a bidding war starts. It is easy to get 'sucked in' to the competition and overpay.
Old Feb 27th 2012, 7:13 am
BE Enthusiast

dormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by se1zm1c
In the UK it's pretty much accepted that the asking price for a house is just the starting point, the owners would expect offers e.g. for a 499,950 asking price someone might just steam in and offer 450,000 etc.

What's the house buying etiquette in Canada? The same or is looking for a better deal frowned upon?

In Winnipeg houses are generally selling $20-$30K over the asking, bidding wars are the norm.
Old Feb 27th 2012, 7:24 am
Forum Regular

JimboV6 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by snowcandy
Is the same true with a new build, I wonder?

How much can you negotiate, if at all when purchasing a spec or custom built home??
Not sure about discounts if you are building your own place, but I bought a model home. Our realtor (a family member) seemed to think that large developers want to have something very close to list price go through the books. So we offered the asking price but asked for cash to be refunded to allow us to build a fence, plus all fixtures, curtains, appliances etc. and a few changes to be made. After all, they can write that sort of stuff off as expenses so it's less valuable to them.

Builders in the London area here have been offering $10,000 + in free upgrades. A smaller builder nearby quickly offered to discount their model home by 5%. Seems to be a slow market here at the moment.

In contrast, we ended up accepting $5000 over ask on our downtown Toronto condo.
Old Feb 27th 2012, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

Back2UK has a spectacular aura aboutBack2UK has a spectacular aura aboutBack2UK has a spectacular aura about

Is the same true with a new build, I wonder?

How much can you negotiate, if at all when purchasing a spec or custom built home??
I have worked for a Alberta Builder and there is always room to negotiate. I have seen deals that negotiate a good price or the builder is willing to add extra's like a hardwood, tile or completed basement. When a site is new, you can always get better deal as the builder wants sold lots.

Paying the sales team is not included in the deal, that is usually separate budget. Paying a Realtor who is representing a client, the builder will not be so willing to negotiate as much in the deal as they have to pay Realtor fees.
Old Feb 27th 2012, 10:13 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JimboV6
Not sure about discounts if you are building your own place, but I bought a model home. Our realtor (a family member) seemed to think that large developers want to have something very close to list price go through the books. So we offered the asking price but asked for cash to be refunded to allow us to build a fence, plus all fixtures, curtains, appliances etc. and a few changes to be made. After all, they can write that sort of stuff off as expenses so it's less valuable to them.

Builders in the London area here have been offering $10,000 + in free upgrades. A smaller builder nearby quickly offered to discount their model home by 5%. Seems to be a slow market here at the moment.

In contrast, we ended up accepting $5000 over ask on our downtown Toronto condo.
With all due respect, nothing is free. Discounts or freebies are all built into the price. If you believe otherwise you are naïve.
Old Feb 27th 2012, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
A lot of the sales over asking price in Toronto are due to the strategy of listing the house at under market value, to generate multiple offers, people then bid way over asking (and often way over what it is really worth) to get the house. Look at recent sales on the street to help you work out what the house is worth and remember that if a bidding war starts. It is easy to get 'sucked in' to the competition and overpay.
I got a list of houses in my district that were sold in the past 12 months and their actual sale prices. I did an average and it was about 8.1% over the original asking price. So there might be a bit of this game playing but mostly there's just hot competition and bidding pushing prices up - that's the reality where I live anyway.
Old Feb 27th 2012, 11:26 am
Don't call me MOM!!

snowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Back2UK
I have worked for a Alberta Builder and there is always room to negotiate. I have seen deals that negotiate a good price or the builder is willing to add extra's like a hardwood, tile or completed basement. When a site is new, you can always get better deal as the builder wants sold lots.

Paying the sales team is not included in the deal, that is usually separate budget. Paying a Realtor who is representing a client, the builder will not be so willing to negotiate as much in the deal as they have to pay Realtor fees.
Having spoken to a Calgary builder at one of their developments locally over the weekend- they were offered to do the basement for half the going price quoted. And this was not for a spec home. Will be trying to get a discount on the advertised price for sure when we are in a position to get things started. If you don't ask......

Good point about the realtor, as some are saying to us don't even step inside a showhome before first employing the services of a realtor to help negotiate.
Old Feb 27th 2012, 11:33 am

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Having spoken to a Calgary builder at one of their developments locally over the weekend- they were offered to do the basement for half the going price quoted. And this was not for a spec home. Will be trying to get a discount on the advertised price for sure when we are in a position to get things started. If you don't ask......

Good point about the realtor, as some are saying to us don't even step inside a showhome before first employing the services of a realtor to help negotiate.
Be very aware that not all builders co-operate with Realtors, so if you employ one to negotiate on your behalf with a builder, be prepared to pay them 2.5% commission out your own pocket. That 2.5 % is better in your bank account (or upgrades) than theirs, do your own negotiating
Old Feb 27th 2012, 11:46 am
Don't call me MOM!!

snowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dollface
Be very aware that not all builders co-operate with Realtors, so if you employ one to negotiate on your behalf with a builder, be prepared to pay them 2.5% commission out your own pocket. That 2.5 % is better in your bank account (or upgrades) than theirs, do your own negotiating
Absolutely agree with you on that one. We're starting to get a pretty good idea now of what we want and need in a house and where we want to build so hopefully will be able to negotiate a good deal when the time comes. Would much rather do it ourselves
Old Feb 27th 2012, 12:08 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dollface
Absolutely agree with you on that one. We're starting to get a pretty good idea now of what we want and need in a house and where we want to build so hopefully will be able to negotiate a good deal when the time comes. Would much rather do it ourselves
I would be cautious about trying to negotiate on your own. For sure, employing a realtor will take some potential discount off the table. However, you are putting your wits against trained and expert negotiators in a business and legal environment where they know a lot more than you do.

The contract they will give you to sign will be heavily weighted in their favour.

I am not saying don't do it, but don't assume you will get a better deal if there is not a realtor's fee to be paid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.