Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The House Price Myth?

The House Price Myth?

Old Aug 22nd 2010, 8:53 pm
Just Joined

starchief is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The House Price Myth?

Huge numbers of people live in ex-council houses. Think that's a bit dismissive to simply rule a house out on that basis. I'm talking an average house in a commutable town or village.

Okay, you don't like Beith. I lived over the water in Lochwinnoch which is a really nice little village. But here's one from Dalry. First one on the page. Quite a nice village that compares with Airdrie or Okotoks, AB. 35/45 mins on the train to Glasgow. Decent 3 bed semi, with gardens.
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...?premiumA=true

Show me somewhere as good in a commuter town within the hour from Calgary for the same price?

I'm far from saying house prices should be the only issue (otherwise the choice would be a whole lot easier). But when comparing Glasgow/Lochwinnoch, for instance, to Calgary/Okotoks, affordability doesn't seem to be a factor (and for the record, NB or NS are my favoured places but Calgary is so much easier for me).
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 8:56 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by starchief
Huge numbers of people live in ex-council houses. Think that's a bit dismissive to simply rule a house out on that basis. I'm talking an average house in a commutable town or village.

Okay, you don't like Beith. I lived over the water in Lochwinnoch which is a really nice little village. But here's one from Dalry. First one on the page. Quite a nice village that compares with Airdrie or Okotoks, AB. 35/45 mins on the train to Glasgow. Decent 3 bed semi, with gardens.

Show me somewhere as good in a commuter town within the hour from Calgary for the same price?

I'm far from saying house prices should be the only issue (otherwise the choice would be a whole lot easier). But when comparing Glasgow/Lochwinnoch, for instance, to Calgary/Okotoks, affordability doesn't seem to be a factor (and for the record, NB or NS are my favoured places but Calgary is so much easier for me).
Not sure that Calgary and Glasgow are a good comparison. Besides the UK housing market is in decline/slump and likely to stay there for some time. All the negative equity is a major dampener on mobility for work
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 9:29 pm
Just Joined

starchief is an unknown quantity at this point

I kinda have to compare them. I can either work in Glasgow (actually most places in the UK but I'd plump for there) and commute from Dalry/Lochwinnoch/Helensburgh/Kilmacolm etc. Or I could move to Calgary and realistically have to live in the city (slightly better job in the UK too, with easy to go self-employed if I fancy it). I could also move to Toronto (where I'm from but not that keen to go back), Vancouver (mmm possibly) or Edmonton but Calgary seems to be the best of them.

Or else, I could try working for a completely new company in NS/NB/NFL but that brings other problems. Not so much work there, so if you're stranded with a bad employer, it might be pretty tough (I know people in Calgary, Toronto and Vancouver, plus worked with companies who have offices there, so less likely to happen there).
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 11:39 pm
Just Joined

KenD has a spectacular aura aboutKenD has a spectacular aura aboutKenD has a spectacular aura about

I see quite a few posts saying how Canada is much better in the UK due to the cheaper house prices...but I just don't see it. Sure, if you're coming from a high price area, such as London, rural Wiltshire or the high end of Edinburgh that may be the case. Likewise, if you're talking darkest Nova Scotia or the Yukon, sure, there is cheap.

But I just can't see it being the case for the majority of the UK. Places like Cardiff, Glasgow, Dundee, Manchester, Newcastle etc etc. For £120k (or a lot less), you can get a decent 2-3 bedroom house in a nice town/village outside of these cities. For £400-500 a month, you can rent often a 2 bedroomed flat in one of the nicer parts of town. I'm not talking the highest priced properties but certainly not the seediest part of town either. An average decent place.

That seems a hell of a lot cheaper than property in Calgary, Vancouver, Edmonton or Toronto. And, for most of us, these are the only options due to work. Really, there, for a house, you're talking a minimum CAD$250k or over CAD$1000 per month for a 2-bed apartment.

Naturally, there are still some real advantages to coming to Canada (I've lived in, and am a citizen of both the UK and Canada, and am having a real hard time deciding which to go to when returning from Africa) but accommodation costs don't seem to be one of them.
There was an article in the Vancouver press over the weekend with some experts predicting a 30% "correction" in the not-too-distant future. We'll see - they've been predicting a correction for a while!

Rents in downtown Vancouver vary wildly from building to building. You can pick up a 2 bedroom apartment just off Robson for $1200/month, or venture closer to Stanley Park in the West End and be looking at $2000/month in a 30 year old building with no washer dryer.

When I was emigrating 7 years ago, Calgary still represented decent value for money (comparatively speaking), than say Vancouver, but even that is not true anymore.

I know of many young families who have decided to move out of the Vancouver area due to their inability to afford decent accommodation suitable for a growing family. Many choose Vancouver Island, much like some of the contributors to this thread!
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 2:08 am
Forum Regular

Canuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of light

I hear you Starchief....A lot is also down to the area you are looking at.....You can get plenty cheaper with more outdoor space in places like Ottawa. Areas around Calgary and Vancouver are more expensive in comparison to Ottawa for example. Head about 50km outside the city and you have homes around the $200,000 - $280,000 mark with plenty land, 3/4 bedrooms and still be in a neighbourhood.

Using Calgary and Vancouver as comparisons are like you say better to compare with the London areas. Commuting is also way better in the UK than in Canada with regards to public transport. (Dare I say it!!!!)
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 2:11 am
Forum Regular

Canuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of light

I wasnt having a go at people who purchase council homes at all.....We did! What I am saying is council home areas tend to have worse environments for kids. Sure there are places in Canada too that are not great for kids....with the price tags to match.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 2:15 am
Forum Regular

As you mentioned NB is a favoured place.......This one isnt pricey???

http://www.realtor.ca/PropertyDetail...Key=1873619706
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 3:18 am
BE Enthusiast

airbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Canuck2b
As you mentioned NB is a favoured place.......This one isnt pricey???

http://www.realtor.ca/PropertyDetail...Key=1873619706
You found Oromocto West....quite a large sub division these days and growing all the time. Houses sell from 150K (older areas)...up to 300K+....although only about 10 in that range.

Nowhere near as much green space as shown on the aerial photo....Luckily we have lots more.

I personally dislike that style of house.....prefer the garage on the side.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 3:39 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by airbornesapper
You found Oromocto West....quite a large sub division these days and growing all the time. Houses sell from 150K (older areas)...up to 300K+....although only about 10 in that range.

Nowhere near as much green space as shown on the aerial photo....Luckily we have lots more.

I personally dislike that style of house.....prefer the garage on the side.
Ah, my bad.......Realtor wrote OROMOCTO, NB......
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 3:43 am
BE Enthusiast

airbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Canuck2b
Ah, my bad.......Realtor wrote OROMOCTO, NB......
Was not correcting anything....the town is Oromocto...the house you showed is in an area locally referred to as Oromocto West.

The Trans Canada splits the two.

It's a nice area...all the services are in the ground...no ugly cables strung all over the place which is the norm in most areas.

Good value for money.....

Last edited by airbornesapper; Aug 23rd 2010 at 3:45 am.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 3:54 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Pretty much this. The glory days ended in 2006. The financial crisis that started in 2007 saw GBP start it's slide to where it is now, the, the UK property bubble peak and the Canadian one get worse.
Bingo. In 2007 our house still seemed to be a bargain compared to the UK despite the oil-driven rise in house prices here, today it's looking moderately expensive in comparison, having effectively increased in value by around 50% in GBP terms.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 2:44 pm
agr
Occidentally Damaged

agr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules
[...]
"Extensively renovated home located in central Northside location close to all amenities. The main floor offers an upgraded open concept kitchen with new appliances and stunning backsplash. [...]"
I just love the way realtors throw around the word "stunning" with such abandon. The thought of being physically concussed by the aesthetic perfection of a backsplash is a real tonic for any jaded excavator of MLS tosh.