Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

House let in England - NRL1 form

House let in England - NRL1 form

Old Jan 14th 2009, 1:16 am
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: House let in England - NRL1 form

Originally Posted by brian_munich
Hello everybody,

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but, as now an expat in Canada, thought i would post it here...

Have a house let in England, and am in the process of filling out form NRL1 - the non-resident landlords form.

thing is, house is let out via an agency, who take a cut, as well as VAT on that cut.

question is, on the NRL1 form, it asks for how much rental is received each year before and after deductions.
are the 'deductions' just the landlord's cut, just the VAT, or other expenses such as cleaning, ground rent etc. (the notes attached with the NRL1 form seem to state that the expenses are something that the letting agent can claim, not the actual landlord). Most confused...

any thoughts would be most welcome.

thanks
I've always assumed that "before deductions" means the gross rent (the amount in the tenancy agreement) and after deductions means what there is left after costs and expenses. This feeling was based on the list of deductable expenses in the UK tax forms I used to have to file. The agent's fees (and the VAT charged on them) were deductable expenses. Off the top of my head, other allowable expenses included maintenance costs and charges, mortgage interest payments (not the capital repayment), council tax, water rates and services you have to pay while the property has no tenants, insurance costs and legal fees. Don't take my word for it though (these things change all the time and I'm not a tax bod), check with the Inland Revenue.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 5:45 pm
Permanent Resident

The Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud of
Default Re: House let in England - NRL1 form

Help with NR1 form please!

If we are flying out in Feb and house not let until March do I fill in the form for the period 1st March to 5th April for the tax year 2008/08 less deduction i.e. Council tax etc whilst it is empty

Sorry for such a dumb question so overwhelmed with paperwork at the moment that my brain is unable to function properly!