Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Hotel around Calgary/Edmonton for Recce

Hotel around Calgary/Edmonton for Recce

Old Feb 18th 2009, 4:30 pm
Future Albertan

Kaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hotel around Calgary for Recce

Originally Posted by Cassie 10000
Are you sure you can't hire a car? Who have you tried?
erm.. I cant remember now... I'll just have a look...

Oh, woohoo just happened to check NationalCar and they will allow us
at an additional fee of $30.00 per day

Should've researched that a bit better eh

Thanks for all replies!
Old Feb 18th 2009, 4:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaye.
I'm 23 and hubbys 24... so can't hire a car
Yep....you can hire if you are under 25.

Go on Google and type in car hire Calgary/Edmonton there are lots that come up, one I looked at for Feb came up for about $440 for week mid sized car! When are you traveling?

I didn't go in too deep to see if there were any hidden charges....see how you get on.

A car is a must here....good luck!

Linda
Old Feb 18th 2009, 4:38 pm

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Linda P

Go on Google and type in car hire Calgary/Edmonton there are lots that come up, one I looked at for Feb came up for about $440 for week mid sized car! When are you traveling?

I didn't go in too deep to see if there were any hidden charges....see how you get on.

Linda

I'm going to echo Linda, you really do need a car. Sidewalks here just seem to vanish in areas you will see what I mean when you get over here.

Sometimes you need to cross over three roads just to get across the one you wanted, I find that annoying.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 4:56 pm
Future Albertan

Kaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond repute

Linda
That was my next question for you all...

We need a few months to save up enough to pay the flights etc, and also have money for spending! I was thinking October, during the school holidays.

Is October a good or bad time to come?
Old Feb 18th 2009, 6:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paul5455 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Hotel around Calgary/Edmonton for Recce

we stayed at the Days Inn, Calgary South
very nice. a little bit out of the way, but close to a C Train stop so only 15 mins to down town.
was good for us as near a couple of neighborhoods so we could go for a wonder and see whats its like.
also has a gym and pool!
Old Feb 18th 2009, 9:44 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

We need a few months to save up enough to pay the flights etc, and also have money for spending! I was thinking October, during the school holidays.

It's OK. You may see snow 'specially in the mountains. You won't want a motorhome then though as loads of campgrounds will be closed.
Old Feb 19th 2009, 2:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

I would say that coming in October you will see Edmonton at it's worst....I dont mean that in a negative way (if that doesn't sound too daft) I will explain....October is when things seem to be dull, the grass tends to be brown and the snow has not yet made everything look clean.

Hubby made his first visit to Canada in October 2004 and when he came back, he thought it was in his words "a bit grey"

So keep in mind that scenery wise, it's not the best months!!

We have been here 4 years next month and love it all year round!

Good luck.

Linda
Old Feb 19th 2009, 11:59 am
Future Albertan

I would say that coming in October you will see Edmonton at it's worst....I dont mean that in a negative way (if that doesn't sound too daft) I will explain....October is when things seem to be dull, the grass tends to be brown and the snow has not yet made everything look clean.

Hubby made his first visit to Canada in October 2004 and when he came back, he thought it was in his words "a bit grey"

So keep in mind that scenery wise, it's not the best months!!

We have been here 4 years next month and love it all year round!

Good luck.

Linda
Ok... when is the latest you would advise coming? As I mentioned already we need a few months to save up, as DH wasn't working for 2 months over Christmas so we're catching up with bills etc right now. I would imagine July will be an expensive time to come... so August/September?
Old Feb 19th 2009, 2:02 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hotel around Calgary/Edmonton for Recce

September should be fine, leaves are turning, the grass is still brown though - that happens in the summer as there isn't enough rain to keep it green - that takes some getting used too. There are still warm days and the sun shines all year round. The lakes and rivers are still defrosted. The river in Red Deer froze over in November this winter.
Old Feb 20th 2009, 1:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Ok... when is the latest you would advise coming? As I mentioned already we need a few months to save up, as DH wasn't working for 2 months over Christmas so we're catching up with bills etc right now. I would imagine July will be an expensive time to come... so August/September?
I didn't mean to put you off coming in October......just that Edmonton in October isn't lush and green!

Linda