Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Hoping to Emmigrate to Alberta

Hoping to Emmigrate to Alberta

Old May 6th 2008, 11:02 am
Just Joined

ukoptom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hoping to Emmigrate to Alberta

I am currently residing in the UK with my OH & 3 children, and am hoping to emmigrate.

I am currently trying to get my head around the logistics of everything, applying for residency visa, getting qualified to work in Canada, what order to do evertything in , I feel my head is going to explode.

I have so many questions, most of which are probably stupid, so please bear with me.
Old May 6th 2008, 3:00 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hoping to Emmigrate to Alberta

Hello, ukoptom, and welcome to the BE forum.

I responded to you in this thread in the Immigration forum.

Between the BE Wiki, to which there is a link in my signature (below), and discussions on the forum, you'll come to understand the Canadian immigration process. But it will require you to sit down with several pots of tea (not just cups of tea), and read through the information in the Wiki.

You said in the other thread that you're an optometrist. I don't know how feasible it'll be for you to get into Canada. Have you thought of Australia? Australia has some pros (one of which is that I've heard it's easier for Britons to get in) and some cons (one of which is that Australia is further from the UK than Canada is). The Wiki article called Canada versus Australia may help you to weigh up the options.

Anyway, good luck with your quest.
x
Old May 6th 2008, 3:45 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Judy.

I really don't fancy Australia tbh, did think about New Zealand, but it really is Canada we want to be.

When you say it may not be feasible to get into Canada being an optometrist, is it bcause it is not on the OUP list. Even applying as a skilled worker, would it be difficult.

If I had work lined up in Canada and came on a temporary work permit, is it possible that they would refuse a PR visa?

Sorry for all the questions, but before I go the expenses of getting my licence to practice optometry in Alberta I need to know if it is going to be worthwhile, and we'll be able to get PR. If I can't then there will no point in doing it.
Old May 6th 2008, 4:03 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukoptom
When you say it may not be feasible to get into Canada being an optometrist, is it bcause it is not on the OUP list. Even applying as a skilled worker, would it be difficult.
In theory you could get permanent residence via the skilled worker route, but it's taking a long time. Current estimates for applications submitted from the UK are around 5 years.

If I had work lined up in Canada and came on a temporary work permit, is it possible that they would refuse a PR visa?
It's unlikely that they would refuse your PR application if you already were working in Canada on a temporary work permit. In fact, if you got a permanent job offer, it would add 10 points to your PR application via the skilled worker route, and it most likely would result in your PR application being fast tracked.

Sorry for all the questions, but before I go the expenses of getting my licence to practice optometry in Alberta I need to know if it is going to be worthwhile, and we'll be able to get PR. If I can't then there will no point in doing it.
I feel it would be a good idea for you to read the articles to which I provided links in the Immigration forum. I believe you will find answers to many of your questions there. In fact you'll find answers to questions you didn't even know you had.
x
Old May 6th 2008, 5:59 pm
Just Joined

Reading the links I think it will be down the route of skilled worker with a view to getting a job once licensed, gettting work permit, then look @ fast tracking PR once working.

NBeed to see what Waterloo say about being resident whilst undertaking Bridging.

Not to mention the joy of trying to sell the house! May well put house up for sale early & if we get a buyer move into rented.
Old May 7th 2008, 7:36 am

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute

Just thought I would pop in and say hi
Old May 7th 2008, 8:09 pm
Just Joined

Thanks cassie
Old May 8th 2008, 2:01 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

This might be of interest .... http://www.opto.ca/en/public/03_opto...ctitioners.asp

Then you need to contact the registering body of the province/s that you are interested in. eg http://www.optometrists.ab.ca/ to find out if you can get a license there, or if there are bridging courses that you may take if required.
Old May 8th 2008, 7:05 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Morweena.

I have been incontact with University of waterloo.

Whilst I undergo initial bits, I come to Canada on visitors visa.

Once I complete board exams, I get licence once I secuire employmnet & work permit/ PR.

So all I have to do now is pass the flippin exams.

Soooo long since I took exams I'm panicking already.
Old May 8th 2008, 7:10 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukoptom
Thanks Morweena.

I have been incontact with University of waterloo.

Whilst I undergo initial bits, I come to Canada on visitors visa.

Once I complete board exams, I get licence once I secuire employmnet & work permit/ PR.

So all I have to do now is pass the flippin exams.

Soooo long since I took exams I'm panicking already.
I completed my credentialling process from the UK, and took my competency exams here on arrival (physio, quailfied in 1982 originally!) .... it's all a bit gruelling, but try to recall that they are looking for entry level expertise, so it's breadth rather than depth of experience they are testing .......
Old May 8th 2008, 9:25 pm
Just Joined

Unfortunately I have to do it in Canada as there are practical exams to do too. Have to get credentials accredited 1st, then do prior lerning assessment, then Uni decide if its a 6 week bridging program or 12 month program. If its the later i'm stuffed. i've heard that 95% + ok optoms have do 6 week course. Then its licencing for province you want to work.

Hopefully they're looking for entry level too.
Have got list of recommended reading & books look to be course books for optometry students.

So fingers crossed its not too traumatic.
Old May 10th 2008, 6:36 pm
little snowy owl

When I did my credentialling their initial response was that I had not done sufficient study in pharmacology (as shown by the course details I submitted via the CSP).

It did look as though I'd have to do a Prior Learning Assessment, but I asked the CSP to write again and assure them that Pharmacology was included under the course I had taken, but integrated rather than as a separate subject. Suddenly, and rather to my suprise I got a letter stating that my education was substantially equivalent to the Canadians' and I was eligible to sit the competency exam, which must be completed within two years of that assessment.

My PR application was ongoing at that time, so it worked out pretty well. I landed in Sept 2005 and took the written paper Jan 2006. Then the practical later the same year. At that time you could work as a limited practitioner under mentorship, until passing the practical exam, so I have worked since Feb 2006.
Old May 11th 2008, 1:09 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Hi! Good luck with the exams and everything.
Old May 11th 2008, 2:05 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Piff Poff
Old May 11th 2008, 2:55 pm
Home Sweet Home

Biiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Hoping to Emmigrate to Alberta

Hi......

just wanted to say good look too!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.