Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Honda CR-V vs. Toyota RAV4 vs. Subaru Forester

Honda CR-V vs. Toyota RAV4 vs. Subaru Forester

Old Mar 16th 2015, 4:11 am
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Honda CR-V vs. Toyota RAV4 vs. Subaru Forester

Originally Posted by R I C H
My 2011 Forester blew its engine at 9,000kms. My 2013 Impreza blew its motor at 28,000kms. Both stock, unmodified and serviced by Subaru. Both threw rod bearings and required long block replacements.
Aw you probably had a really bad luck with Subarus
Old Mar 16th 2015, 4:29 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edo
Aw you probably had a really bad luck with Subarus
Add 3 new F150's in the past three years with warranty issues Ford couldn't fix, and I'm pretty disillusioned with the cost of vehicle ownership.

Both companies have been appallingly bad at resolving problems and the customer care side of business when major mechanical failure has occurred.

Last edited by R I C H; Mar 16th 2015 at 4:32 am.
Old Mar 16th 2015, 5:14 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
My 2011 Forester blew its engine at 9,000kms. My 2013 Impreza blew its motor at 28,000kms. Both stock, unmodified and serviced by Subaru. Both threw rod bearings and required long block replacements.
Were they oil burners? They're the right vintage, and I believe the main cause of thrown rod bearings in Subaru engines is low or contaminated oil. There's a reason they added the low oil level light in the 2014s...
Old Mar 16th 2015, 5:59 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
Were they oil burners? They're the right vintage, and I believe the main cause of thrown rod bearings in Subaru engines is low or contaminated oil. There's a reason they added the low oil level light in the 2014s...
Nope, didn't use a drop between regular changes. No warning with either of them.
Old Mar 17th 2015, 5:54 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

How do Subarus do for resale. Do they depreciate a lot or is it difficult to find a buyer? Reselling doesn't seem to be so much of a problem with the other two brands in Canada.
Old Mar 17th 2015, 6:19 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edo
How do Subarus do for resale. Do they depreciate a lot or is it difficult to find a buyer? Reselling doesn't seem to be so much of a problem with the other two brands in Canada.
If you are bothered about resale you could consider leasing. That way resale is someone elses problem. (But of course you are paying for use of the vehicle, never acquiring an asset). We lease a RAV4 @ $399 a month x 48 months.
Old Mar 17th 2015, 7:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edo
In America, they're rated as having some of the best resale values of any brand. I've seen owners say they bought out and sold their lease car at the end of the lease and made a profit, because it sold for significantly more than the end-of-lease valuation if they'd just returned it to the dealer.

Not sure about Canada, but I'd imagine there's a good market for used ones here.
Old Mar 17th 2015, 8:34 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

The current Forester is huge, I rented one recently. Plus the instrumentation is a bit too "electronicy" for my tastes. But it was better than the Ford Edge I rented recently too. The amount of headroom though in the Forester is just silly.
Old Mar 17th 2015, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Steve_
The amount of headroom though in the Forester is just silly.
If you don't want the headroom, the Outback has a similar ground clearance and interior volume, but it's lower and longer. I like being able to sit up high and actually see what's around the car through the big windows.
Old Mar 17th 2015, 9:07 pm
Pea Brain

Originally Posted by MarkG
In America, they're rated as having some of the best resale values of any brand. I've seen owners say they bought out and sold their lease car at the end of the lease and made a profit, because it sold for significantly more than the end-of-lease valuation if they'd just returned it to the dealer.
My end lease buy-out is $26k. Current dealer price for same age and mileage is around $10k higher. I'll buy it out at the end of the lease this summer.
Old Mar 17th 2015, 9:16 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
If you are bothered about resale you could consider leasing. That way resale is someone elses problem. (But of course you are paying for use of the vehicle, never acquiring an asset). We lease a RAV4 @ $399 a month x 48 months.
I'd rather lease (we had to buy, couldn't get approved for a lease) just so its under warranty the entire time of using it.... I dread the last year of our loan with no warranty coverage at all.
Old Mar 17th 2015, 9:34 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edo
Which one is your most favourite?
Any of them would be okay if I'd had a sex change operation.
Old Mar 18th 2015, 1:56 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

My parents bought a 2001 CR-V back in the day. We sold it a few months ago with 270,000km in "as-is" condition for $3600. Pretty impressive for resale.

When it was sold it needed new brakes (not urgently but within the next few months), and needed some repair work to the transmission. The A/C had also long since died. That car was a work horse, but we absolutely loved it. Fantastic car. That said, the newer ones I don't like as much, at least aesthetically... and I don't like the that the newer models no longer come with a table!!!
Old Mar 18th 2015, 2:35 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Any of them would be okay if I'd had a sex change operation.
Given your oft stated desire for a transit connect minvan (to have a boil up in the back) what does that say about your sexual proclivities?
Old Mar 18th 2015, 5:52 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Given your oft stated desire for a transit connect minvan (to have a boil up in the back) what does that say about your sexual proclivities?
I have never professed a desire for a transit connect minivan, I'd like this handsome devil. You can get more bodies in the back.

Last edited by Oink; Mar 18th 2015 at 5:58 pm.