Homesickness and Universities

Wikiposts

Homesickness and Universities

Old Jan 26th 2014, 9:04 am
Just Joined

EllenLouise04 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Homesickness and Universities

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
What is 'haven' in France. Our daughter is 17 and in her final year of high school here in Ottawa. She is considering a gap year and is fluent in french. She just got her Delph bi-lingual accreditation. She is considering Glendon College in Toronto in languages with the teaching option.

Is 'haven' some sort of Butlins type place in France?
Hello! It's a type of summer holiday camp chain where you stay in a caravan and there is a swimming pool, kids club, bar. Just a holiday camp and they hire usually young people who entertain, clean caravans, do kids club. I know a few people who have done it for six weeks and have loved it. So it is quite like Butlins I guess
Here is a link : http://www.siblu.com/
Old Jan 26th 2014, 9:16 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EllenLouise04
Hello! It's a type of summer holiday camp chain where you stay in a caravan and there is a swimming pool, kids club, bar. Just a holiday camp and they hire usually young people who entertain, clean caravans, do kids club. I know a few people who have done it for six weeks and have loved it. So it is quite like Butlins I guess
Here is a link : http://www.siblu.com/
Proper campsites, not like the ones here where there's no bar or a takeaway and you've got fifty fifty chance of being eaten by a bear .
Old Jan 26th 2014, 9:24 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Oink
Proper campsites, not like the ones here where there's no bar or a takeaway and you've got fifty fifty chance of being eaten by a bear .
Haha! Very true!
Old Jan 26th 2014, 9:43 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
What is 'haven' in France. Our daughter is 17 and in her final year of high school here in Ottawa. She is considering a gap year and is fluent in french. She just got her Delph bi-lingual accreditation. She is considering Glendon College in Toronto in languages with the teaching option.

Is 'haven' some sort of Butlins type place in France?
Tell the young lady to research the Canadian D-day Museum at Courseulles-sur-mer in Normandy. It's run by the Canadian government and they employ about 100 bilingual Canadian students every year as Visitor Guides etc.

When we have visitors from Canada many of them want to go there, so we've been several times (once is frankly enough) so I've often chatted with the Guides about their jobs.

It is, apparently, rather well paid by summer student job standards and they have contracts for the whole Canadian Uni summer break (typically May-September).

The OP might be interested as well.
Old Jan 26th 2014, 9:45 am
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

If I do my degree here, will that give me less of an advantage if I was to move back to get a job?
(I want to do a degree in psychology and an extra year for teacher's college as I would like to be a teacher.)

No, why would it? I know a ton of people who did teacher's college here and then went over there to teach.
Old Jan 26th 2014, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
In which case your degree would probably be a little cheaper in Canada depending on what you do. I know in the UK most degrees are still 3 years and my limited understanding is in Canada they may be more. So bring that into the equation.
She can do a three year general BA, a four year general BA, or a four year honours BA.
Old Jan 26th 2014, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Novocastrian

What I'm getting at is have you thought about attending a Uni in France where as an EU citizen you wouldn't face international fees and the fees are much lower than in either the UK or Canada anyway?

How would they not have to pay international fees? The international fees are a European Union thing, not just a British thing.

If you chose a Uni near a regional airport served by Ryanair or similar, and your parents were to move to somewhere in the UK close to an appropriate airport too, you could easily go home cheaply and often as well as in all vacations if you chose.

The parents are in Canada.
Old Jan 26th 2014, 10:09 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by colchar
How would they not have to pay international fees? The international fees are a European Union thing, not just a British thing.
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...europe/france/

No, they're not.

"Funding your study

Annual tuition rates at France’s public institutions are set by law and are identical for home and international students.

The rates range from around £144 for an undergraduate course to £200 for a masters. Additional fees may be assessed for specific services."

The French are very backward.
Old Jan 26th 2014, 10:11 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...europe/france/

No, they're not.

"Funding your study

Annual tuition rates at France’s public institutions are set by law and are identical for home and international students.

The rates range from around £144 for an undergraduate course to £200 for a masters. Additional fees may be assessed for specific services."

The French are very backward.
Wow, that is such a huge difference in tuition fees!
Old Jan 26th 2014, 10:13 am
Born again atheist

Wow, that is such a huge difference in tuition fees!
Hence my suggestion, given your language ability, that you look into it.
Old Jan 26th 2014, 10:26 am
Born again atheist

From the same source...

"Studying in Germany

Entry and visa regulations

EU students do not need a visa to study in Germany, but will need to apply for a residence permit from the local resident registration office.

Funding your study

In most Länder tuition is free, however even in regions where fees are charged these are modest at about £800 per year."

All the EU mandates is that EU citizens have the right to live, work, and study in any other EU member state. There are no EU regs concerning fee differentials. That's an internal matter in each member state.
Old Jan 26th 2014, 10:29 am
Just Joined

Seeing as there is so much of a difference in the fees, I will definitely look into a European University.

Although the point of wanting to go back to the UK is for familiarity and being close to family. If I were to do a degree in France I would still be far away from my family and the UK culture. My decision will probably be whether I stay in Canada with my parents and friends I have here or return to the familiarity and family at home.
Old Jan 26th 2014, 11:07 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

The problem with living in a British bubble is that you never let go of Britain, it just encourages homesickness. IMO you should move on, stay in Canada at least til you get a degree then you can move around, travel. At least then it will be because you want to and not because you are trying to get an old life back.
Old Jan 27th 2014, 2:21 am
Forum Regular

charlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond repute

We live in Victoria, our eldest of our 3 kids is 17 and graduating High School this summer.
He is not homesick for the UK, but he does identify himself as British, and I know he is keen to experience life there and travel.
He has applied to study engineering here at UVIC, and he is going to defer his place for a year. He will be taking a gap year, and plans on spending half of it living and working in the UK (staying with my sister), and the other half on a working holiday in NZ.
How about doing something similar to start?
There is so much pressure to got to university as soon as you can, after leaving High School, but a year or 2 of travelling, working and gaining life experience goes a long way.
Good Luck with your plans.
Old Jan 27th 2014, 2:28 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charlottyb
We live in Victoria, our eldest of our 3 kids is 17 and graduating High School this summer.
He is not homesick for the UK, but he does identify himself as British, and I know he is keen to experience life there and travel.
He has applied to study engineering here at UVIC, and he is going to defer his place for a year. He will be taking a gap year, and plans on spending half of it living and working in the UK (staying with my sister), and the other half on a working holiday in NZ.
How about doing something similar to start?
There is so much pressure to got to university as soon as you can, after leaving High School, but a year or 2 of travelling, working and gaining life experience goes a long way.
Good Luck with your plans.
Not much tangible evidence of that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.