Homesick...

Old May 26th 2009, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

Kirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to all
Default Homesick...

So it eventually happened...I have a bout of proper homesickness! I feel like crying at the drop of a hat, I just wanna sleep and I can't stop thinking of being back at home with all my family and friends.

Talk about an appropriate time too...as I finally got myself a job which I start tommorrow, something I've always wanted to try but instead of being excited, I'm filled with dread. I know it's a month's trial to start with and I should be excited about getting a company car, etc but again all I can think about is the places I worked in back home and how I would rather be back there.

As much as I love Canada and enjoy living here, I find myself thinking alot how long it is until I get to go home again! Don't really want to admit that to anyone either, especially not my other half as it will get him worried!

I hope this passes!
Old May 26th 2009, 2:25 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Homesick...

Originally Posted by Kirstine
So it eventually happened...I have a bout of proper homesickness! I feel like crying at the drop of a hat, I just wanna sleep and I can't stop thinking of being back at home with all my family and friends.

Talk about an appropriate time too...as I finally got myself a job which I start tommorrow, something I've always wanted to try but instead of being excited, I'm filled with dread. I know it's a month's trial to start with and I should be excited about getting a company car, etc but again all I can think about is the places I worked in back home and how I would rather be back there.

As much as I love Canada and enjoy living here, I find myself thinking alot how long it is until I get to go home again! Don't really want to admit that to anyone either, especially not my other half as it will get him worried!

I hope this passes!
Have you made any friends here- in particular, English friends, that know what it's like?
Old May 26th 2009, 3:14 pm
Forum Regular

Kirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to all

We don't have any friends as such yet, more acquaintences from the Mini and Jeep clubs, haven't met anyone from the UK yet, it would probably help things though!
Old May 26th 2009, 3:18 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

We don't have any friends as such yet, more acquaintences from the Mini and Jeep clubs, haven't met anyone from the UK yet, it would probably help things though!
Well, it's only a short drive to Sherwood Park.
If you ever wanted to come over for a coffee or whatever, you'd be more than welcome. Me and the wife are 29, and we have two kids- 2 and 3.

There are loads of expats in Edmonton and the surrounding areas, and I agree, it definitely helps when you meet people from the UK.
Old May 26th 2009, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

I hope this passes!
Hi Kirstine

I'm sure a lot of people on BE know exactly how you're feeling, me included. The only advice I would give you is talk to you your OH it's no good trying to hide your feelings. Good luck and I hope things improve soon
Old May 26th 2009, 3:22 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Kirstine;7605814]We don't have any friends as such yet, more acquaintences from the Mini and Jeep clubs, haven't met anyone from the UK yet, it would probably help things though!

Ahhh big hug

I will be your friend, but as I live in Ontario it will ave to be a pen friend.

Hope you feel better soon, I am sure you will get loads of friends when you get to work.

Good luck

Jacqui
Old May 26th 2009, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone and Jericho we may take you up on that offer sometime.

I guess I'm just worried about everything which is bringing on the homesickness.

If I had tommorrow in to see where I stand with the new job, it's car sales and long hours, my first day I'll be working from 8:30 am to 9pm and I haven't worked in sales before, I've worked in a car dealership but not sales so as you can probably imagine I'm worried. I'm on a trial period for a month to begin with to see if I will like and can do it but that doesn't stop me worrying.

I never thought I'd miss Northern Ireland so much!!
Old May 26th 2009, 4:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Me either

I'm sure once you get tomorrow over you'll feel a bit better, it certainly is character building this whole moving countries thing
Old May 26th 2009, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

JoolsGod is an unknown quantity at this point

I know exactly how you are feeling because i have had the same feelings too. Have been here 10 weeks now and its been lonely and isolating at times, hubby working and kids in school. Going to look for a part time job which i hope will help as i have always worked and feel lost without it.

Today after a long illness i find out my grandad has not got long left and we are very close and so i am feeling upset and helpless, i would love to go back but i probably wouldn't make it in time anyway and what good would it do? My family need me here and it is too soon in our relocation to go back, doesn't mean i don't think about it though.

I guess that is the hard part to all this and i will get over it and get used to it. I never thought it would be me to struggle but don't get me wrong, i love it here and love the way my kids are so happy. It will get easier i am sure, and it will for you too. Take care.
Old May 27th 2009, 7:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Cdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of light

I can sympathize only I am homesick for Canada, I have been in UK near 10 yrs!! Am ok most of the time, but have just come back from a visit last week with my family and friends and grand babies...and I miss them so bad I sit and cry for at least the first month I have to come back to UK.
Maybe brits can stick together in Canada but there are not many canadians in UK and if there are we don't tend to stick together that often as we are too far apart.

As I am in my mid 40's the younger canucks seem to adjust a bit better and tend not to miss home as much. Most fit right in, I however have no real friends here, my husbands friends are all job and I have nothing in common with them.
So brits are not the only ones that get homesick. I am coming back home in March next year and frankly as much as I enjoy living in UK, I can't get home fast enough!
Old May 27th 2009, 10:15 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone and Jericho we may take you up on that offer sometime.

I guess I'm just worried about everything which is bringing on the homesickness.

If I had tommorrow in to see where I stand with the new job, it's car sales and long hours, my first day I'll be working from 8:30 am to 9pm and I haven't worked in sales before, I've worked in a car dealership but not sales so as you can probably imagine I'm worried. I'm on a trial period for a month to begin with to see if I will like and can do it but that doesn't stop me worrying.

Dont worry, once they hear your accent they'll buy loads off you. Funny thing about worrying... once you get a few days under your belt you wonder what you were worrying about in the first place. When i started at a newspaper in Vancouver i was shocked to find out they measure in inches and picas, I'd never used them before at all. They tend to be quite gullible so i kept them occupied with some BS while i adjusted

As for homesickness. Just try and enjoy the experience. NI isnt going anywhere.
Old May 27th 2009, 11:12 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

I hope this passes!
Your homesickness may be more about being nervous of your new job/change of career and meeting new people. Completely out of your comfort zone you will be longing for the familiarity of your life back home.

Hope all goes well in your new job. Once you meet new people it will open up a whole new social network for you - remember don't wait for people to invite you out etc you can always instigate a meet and greet night out/bbq/lunch etc yourself .

Good luck and I hope you feel better over the coming days/weeks.
Old May 27th 2009, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

The job is really worrying me yeah, firstly it's very long hours and secondly I don't get paid unless I sell anything, I'm unsure if I'm gonna like it to be honest as I've worked in the motor industry before and know the pressure of it all, plus I'm not the most pushy type nor do I like pressuring people. I can't help but wondering why I just didn't take something that pays me hourly and isn't too stressful, but this guy at the dealership wanted to give me a trial anyway, he doesn't mind if I don't like it, he's told me that which is semi-comforting but yeah again that's another fear as I don't like leaving jobs. My other half understands though which is comforting. I'll give it a go and see today anyway.

The homesickness has been building up for me for a while I think, I just keep looking forward to getting home, it's like I'm just chugging along to get to that point where I am going home to see everyone again. I like it in Canada but I just feel too out of my comfort zone sometimes. I hate feeling like this but it's probably being made a little worse because I have other worries.
Old May 28th 2009, 1:18 am

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute

I hope this passes!
Sounds like you need a big hug, I've sent a PM
Old May 28th 2009, 2:18 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Then why don't we arrange an Edmonton and surrounding areas meet up! I'm only 1.5 hrs away from there - or you'd all be more than welcome at my place - roast round the fire pit, beers music and a good old english laugh!!!!

Seeing as i'm crap at sorting out meet-ups - whos up for the challenge of organising one

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.