Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

homeless and addicted

homeless and addicted

Old Sep 26th 2008, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

Katie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud of
Default Re: homeless and addicted

Originally Posted by dbd33
I like San Francisco and don't feel intimidated there at all. That said though it's the only place I've been where there were more beggars than in Toronto. I think people moving from the UK (ok, specifically London, I've no cause to visit the North) need to be prepared for the large numbers of homeless and mentally ill on the streets in North American cities. Visiting London now is refreshing because there's much less visible poverty and personal harassment there than here.

I think the mass homelessness, and specifically the homelessness of the mentally ill, is the result of deliberate actions on the part of past governments. Those of Klein, Reagan and Harris but that's neither here nor there now, it's now a feature of life that each traffic light has beggars and on the major streets where traffic flows slowly there are beggars between the lights. I literally step over the homeless most days and each winter people freeze to death, some of them ones I've stepped over. In the GTA it is increasingly the case that there are people living on the streets even in the suburbs. One particularly reprehensible character leans against my glass on Cawthra Road in Mississauga. I have a convertible car and like to drive with the top down, I carry a riding crop in order to keep the grubby fingers of the dispossessed outside the car.

Comment on this in Toronto and the inevitable response is "you should see Vancouver". I'd rather not.
From looking into so many different things, and currently living just outside London UK, when considering a move to Vancouver, this was one of the reasons that put me off.

I think London has brilliant support for the homeless and all, infact the whole of the UK in general.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 12:57 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Katie76
I think London has brilliant support for the homeless and all, infact the whole of the UK in general.
Ontario, and I believe Alberta, has shifted toward an American model of expecting private charities to be the primary source of support. One of the major construction sites in Toronto now is a bigger, better, Salvation Army shelter. A problem with this is that Canadians mainly live in suburban housing projects where they are insulated from the problem, if they give to charities they likely give to ones working abroad as they don't see the need at home.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 1:41 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

A problem with this is that Canadians mainly live in suburban housing projects where they are insulated from the problem, if they give to charities they likely give to ones working abroad as they don't see the need at home.

Truth in that, certainly. Perhaps it's not that they don't see the need at home, it's more that you can only help those who want to be helped.

I'd suggest that street-living crack and meth junkies aren't a charitable issue, it's a public order and public health issue. They should be picked up by the police and put into (for want of a better word) asylums until they're clean enough to be dealt with. Not treated as criminals or victims, just people who are messed up and need to be given a bit of a structure in their lives.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 2:07 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
I'd suggest that street-living crack and meth junkies aren't a charitable issue, it's a public order and public health issue. They should be picked up by the police and put into (for want of a better word) asylums until they're clean enough to be dealt with. Not treated as criminals or victims, just people who are messed up and need to be given a bit of a structure in their lives.
That's what used to happen prior to the "Commonsense Revolution" of the Mike Harris government. The system had survived various Liberal, NDP and mainly Progressive Conservative governments with minor shifts in policy, such as varying willingness to lock people up.

Harris was from the sticks and cared nothing for the city. He closed the asylums and cut the rate of personal income tax. That noticeably worsened the quality of life for people in Toronto by greatly increasing the homelessness and begging problems. It also did bugger all for the people previously living in secured care facilities. In the short term it was good for people in suburbs, the 905ers, who voted for him in droves.

IMO Mike Harris in Ontario and Ralph Klein in Alberta share a neo-Conservative political philosophy with Stephen Harper and Ronald Reagan. It's way less compassionate than that of Margaret Thatcher, to the point of doing idiot things for the sake of ideology, see above. It's my experience of Harris that makes me so scared of Harper.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 2:14 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

That's what used to happen prior to the "Commonsense Revolution" of the Mike Harris government. The system had survived various Liberal, NDP and mainly Progressive Conservative governments with minor shifts in policy, such as varying willingness to lock people up.

Harris was from the sticks and cared nothing for the city. He closed the asylums and cut the rate of personal income tax. That noticeably worsened the quality of life for people in Toronto by greatly increasing the homelessness and begging problems. It also did bugger all for the people previously living in secured care facilities. In the short term it was good for people in suburbs, the 905ers, who voted for him in droves.

IMO Mike Harris in Ontario and Ralph Klein in Alberta share a neo-Conservative political philosophy with Stephen Harper and Ronald Reagan. It's way less compassionate than that of Margaret Thatcher, to the point of doing idiot things for the sake of ideology, see above. It's my experience of Harris that makes me so scared of Harper.
Ralph Klein did the same in Alberta as Harris in Ontario but Ralph did it first, not that, that is anything at all to be proud of.

When it comes to the disadvantaged Ralph Klein is an uncaring git. :curse::curse::curse:
Old Sep 26th 2008, 2:16 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

I like San Francisco and don't feel intimidated there at all.
Check out Mission next time, or the raggedy assed parts of Oakland.

Tres sketch, innit.

R.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 2:31 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Check out Mission next time, or the raggedy assed parts of Oakland.

Tres sketch, innit.

R.
I worked in Oakland. Can't remember the name of the firm now but I was there for several months. Yes, it has some rough bits but working in San Jose was worse, utterly dead, might as well be Mississauga.

For the record some places that did scare me (in North America) were parts of East St. Louis, Anacostia, rural Mississippi, rural Texas, New Orleans, Gary, anyplace with "Heights" in the name, eg Washington Heights, the Buffalo bus station. A beggar threatened me with a knife in Chicago but it's generally ok. I'm mostly unreasonably calm in warmer places as there are less obvious indicators that one should worry, I look for bars on windows, knots of bored black men in day, that sort of thing. I went to Compton during the Rodney King riots and didn't find it unduly alarming. Detroit doesn't faze me but all of Atlanta does, horrible place. And Orlando, where the happy Disneyfolk actually live, that's sketchy in the extreme. North Las Vegas is perhaps the most desperate place I've seen that's not on a reservation.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 3:07 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Ralph Klein did the same in Alberta as Harris in Ontario but Ralph did it first, not that, that is anything at all to be proud of.

When it comes to the disadvantaged Ralph Klein is an uncaring git.
:curse::curse::curse:
Hey Ralph cares a lot about the disadvantaged....................................

Well he cares about Collen at least
Old Sep 27th 2008, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

simeongb has a brilliant futuresimeongb has a brilliant futuresimeongb has a brilliant futuresimeongb has a brilliant futuresimeongb has a brilliant futuresimeongb has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Hey Ralph cares a lot about the disadvantaged....................................

Well he cares about Collen at least
thats the same amount as the butch sadcasey, cares about