Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

home daycare business?

home daycare business?

Old Dec 28th 2012, 10:09 am
Just Joined

NewlifeinCanadaplease is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile home daycare business?

Hi there we are planning to move to Alberta, Canada next Autumn. My partner will hopefully get a job as a carer or a job in that sector, hopefully by recommendation. Anyway I work in a local preschool part time here in Oxfordshire and we also have a 2 year old daughter. I have always thought of childminding (home daycare) but the cost and formalities to set up over here are just ridiculous. Could anyone give any info on whether there is a demand for this over in Alberta and also if anyone knows the system to start up and what potential income may be?? Hopefully this all makes sense and any info would be greatly appreciated. Oh and if there is a demand would this help our visa application?
Many thanks in advance.
Old Dec 28th 2012, 1:34 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: home daycare business?

You can find Daycare information here
https://www.google.ca/search?q=start...EMiZ2QXaw4GoAg
Old Dec 28th 2012, 4:48 pm
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

For Alberta here's the government link: http://www.child.alberta.ca/home/1149.cfm

There is demand for good quality child care in Calgary according to the media. I believe you can have six kids at home without a licence but you'll need to check on the official link for that. I know of some providers who charge around $650 a month up to $1,000 a month, depending on quality and variety of care provided and demand in that particular community.

My perception as a parent is that the newer housing areas in Calgary seem to have dayhomes ten a penny if you look on kijiji (a good place to check out the competition). The "older" housing areas (mine is 1970's), day homes are fewer and far between and they charge prices similar to daycares at around $800-$1,000 a month.

I don't think demand will help any visa application you make.

Good luck!
Flossie
Old Dec 28th 2012, 5:18 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NewlifeinCanadaplease
Hi there we are planning to move to Alberta, Canada next Autumn. My partner will hopefully get a job as a carer or a job in that sector, hopefully by recommendation. Anyway I work in a local preschool part time here in Oxfordshire and we also have a 2 year old daughter. I have always thought of childminding (home daycare) but the cost and formalities to set up over here are just ridiculous. Could anyone give any info on whether there is a demand for this over in Alberta and also if anyone knows the system to start up and what potential income may be?? Hopefully this all makes sense and any info would be greatly appreciated. Oh and if there is a demand would this help our visa application?
Many thanks in advance.
What visa are you hoping to get?
Old Dec 28th 2012, 5:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by siouxie
What visa are you hoping to get?
I wondered that too. If the OP's partner goes over on a TWP as a caregiver, then she won't be able to work anyway as it's Skill Level C.
Old Dec 31st 2012, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

pacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the rough

Yes lots demand here in Airdrie and hard to find a good one there are registered and non registered