Reload this Page >

HND Level of Qualification Enginner

HND Level of Qualification Enginner

Old May 26th 2017, 8:33 am
Just Joined

tomtom1991 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default HND Level of Qualification Enginner

Hello I am new to this forum.

Me my wife and my two children are thinking about picking up sticks and heading to Ottawa in several years. I have one child who is 16 months old and one who is 1 month old. So we are going to wait until they are slightly older. Maybe is 3 years time.

My level of education is Higher National Diploma in Mechatronics.

Would I find it difficult to find employment as a electrical/PLC engineer as I do not have a degree or would my 6 years experience counter that?

My wife has a foundation degree is childcare development and education would she it be easy for her to find work?

Nothing is set in stone for us at the moment as we are just doing research before we do anything.

Many thanks

Tom

Last edited by tomtom1991; May 26th 2017 at 8:54 am. Reason: Title wasnt clear what I was asking
Old May 26th 2017, 11:13 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HND Level of Qualification Enginner

Hi, and welcome to BE.

I believe that 'engineer' is a protected title in Canada, meaning that you can't call yourself an engineer unless you have certain qualifications (I think it's a degree as a minimum, but not sure on that). A quick forum search should give you some info though, or some of our forum engineers will no doubt be along later to help you work out what job title you should be searching for if you can't work as a engineer there.

What does your wife actually do? Again, a forum search for her job title may well bring up some relevant info.

And even though you're not planning on going for a while yet, it's worth checking in to your visa eligibility. If you're eligible now, you might want to apply in the next year or so (your points will decline as you get older, and who knows what changes CIC will make to the requirements in the future), but you wouldn't have to go straight away.

HTH, best of luck.
Old May 26th 2017, 11:26 am
Just Joined

Hello Thanks for the response. I was worried that you needed to have a degree to call yourself and Engineer.

My wife is Deputy Manager in a Nursery.

I am 26 so for now I have age on my side for points...I think.

I will scour the internet for information on the Engineering qualification side.
Old May 26th 2017, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Christmas is correct that the title engineer is protected here in Canada in fact both the title of engineer and right to practice are protected, that is, you cannot work as an engineer unless you are registered by the provincial authority. For Ottawa that is Professional Engineers Ontario
Professional Engineers

Requirements for Licensure

As a licence holder in the province, Ontario P.Engs are part of a community of more than 80,000 professionals committed to enhancing the quality of life, safety and well-being of all Ontarians.

To be granted a licence to practise professional engineering in Ontario, an applicant must:
1.be at least 18 years old;
2.be of good character;
3.meet PEO's stipulated academic requirements for licensure (hold an undergraduate engineering degree from a Canadian Engineering Accreditation board (CEAB)-accredited program, or possess equivalent qualifications), and, if required, successfully complete any technical exams.
4.fulfill the engineering work experience requirements (demonstrate at least 48 months of verifiable, acceptable engineering experience, at least 12 months of which must be acquired in a Canadian jurisdiction under a licensed professional engineer); and
5.successfully complete PEO’s Professional Practice Examination (PPE).

I have not dealt with them but others on the forum have found them to be very strict on educational requirements have made people who gained their degrees outside of Canada jump through extra hoops.

IMO you will not get registration with a HND which will take you more to a technician level. Even with a degree a minimum of 4 years of experience is required before registration.

If you don't meet the educational requirements it is likely that you would need to sit technical exams.

If you do not have an undergraduate degree in engineering from a program accredited by the CEAB, your academic background will be assessed by PEO to determine whether it is equivalent to the established standards. PEO will assign technical exams to give you an opportunity to confirm (Confirmatory Examination Program) that your academic preparation is equivalent or to remedy any identified deficiencies (Specific Examination Program).
Academic Requirements

The most important thing to say here is that this DOES NOT prevent you for working in engineering provided you are working under the full time supervision of a registered engineer.

Last edited by Engineer_abroad; May 26th 2017 at 2:10 pm. Reason: SPAG
Old May 26th 2017, 2:05 pm
Just Joined

That is an excellent explanation. Thanks.
Old May 26th 2017, 7:54 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Based on first hand knowledge, using Ontario as the reference point

UK HND (or an I.Eng) is roughly equivalent to a Canadian Engineering technologist. Is someone that completed a 3 year full time engineering technology program which is approx HND level

https://www.cctt.ca/mobility

https://www.cctt.ca/immigrants

Now suppose that with your HND you find 'Engineering work' in Canada, that you don't continue with gaining further Engineering qualifications to degree level - that after approx 5 years Canadian experience + proven 5 years outside Canada totaling 10 years proven engineering experience, that you are also registered with a provincial Technologist body, you can apply as a mature to one of the provincial engineer bodies for consideration to be registered as an 'Professional Engineer'

Mind you this can be a tough route that few get to.

If the P.Eng designation is what you are after, you could do a couple of things

1. Finish your degree

2. Start the long up hill subject by subject battle to meet the academic requirements

3. Follow the mature route stated above

Academic Requirements

Suppose applying for 'License' with the HND, make sure you have a few years under your belt in Canada before doing so.

Then be prepared

a) for a tough as nails face to face interview on your technical/academic knowledge

b) that whatever the outcome there will be confirmatory exams

Technical Exams

For reference only, CCPE comparing it to the UK Engineering Council

https://policyone.apeg.bc.ca/PolicyO...tory-Exams-pdf

Last edited by not2old; May 26th 2017 at 7:56 pm.
Old Jun 3rd 2017, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

dave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
Christmas is correct that the title engineer is protected here in Canada in fact both the title of engineer and right to practice are protected, that is, you cannot work as an engineer unless you are registered by the provincial authority. For Ottawa that is Professional Engineers Ontario
Professional Engineers

Requirements for Licensure

As a licence holder in the province, Ontario P.Engs are part of a community of more than 80,000 professionals committed to enhancing the quality of life, safety and well-being of all Ontarians.

To be granted a licence to practise professional engineering in Ontario, an applicant must:
1.be at least 18 years old;
2.be of good character;
3.meet PEO's stipulated academic requirements for licensure (hold an undergraduate engineering degree from a Canadian Engineering Accreditation board (CEAB)-accredited program, or possess equivalent qualifications), and, if required, successfully complete any technical exams.
4.fulfill the engineering work experience requirements (demonstrate at least 48 months of verifiable, acceptable engineering experience, at least 12 months of which must be acquired in a Canadian jurisdiction under a licensed professional engineer); and
5.successfully complete PEO’s Professional Practice Examination (PPE).

I have not dealt with them but others on the forum have found them to be very strict on educational requirements have made people who gained their degrees outside of Canada jump through extra hoops.

IMO you will not get registration with a HND which will take you more to a technician level. Even with a degree a minimum of 4 years of experience is required before registration.

If you don't meet the educational requirements it is likely that you would need to sit technical exams.

If you do not have an undergraduate degree in engineering from a program accredited by the CEAB, your academic background will be assessed by PEO to determine whether it is equivalent to the established standards. PEO will assign technical exams to give you an opportunity to confirm (Confirmatory Examination Program) that your academic preparation is equivalent or to remedy any identified deficiencies (Specific Examination Program).
Academic Requirements

The most important thing to say here is that this DOES NOT prevent you for working in engineering provided you are working under the full time supervision of a registered engineer.
I think the drawbridge was pulled up about 40 years ago in Canada with regard to professional engineering designation. In both Ontario and Saskatchewan I reported to long established Brit P. Engs managers who did not have engineering degrees, but HNC.

About 20 years ago I assisted someone from the UK with a City and Guilds Full Technology Certificate and two HNCs looking for professional registration. He was classed as a technician. After taking a couple of exams, he got designated as an ASCT (Applied Science Technologist and Technician). After five years working, and a little more study, he got a 'limited' license to practise engineering.