Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Hiring a4x4 - headroom?

Hiring a4x4 - headroom?

Old Jun 13th 2007, 5:36 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hiring a4x4 - headroom?

Originally Posted by blicky
Good point dbd33. The reason I thought of a 4x4 was that we haven't been to Canada before and we are going for a month looking at different places. I wanted the kids 9 and 11 to be able to have a good view of the countryside and my daughter gets car sick so I thought being higher up might help ????

Get a Sebring convertible, room for four, great view in all directions, fresh air offsets car sickness and convertibles have unlimited headroom. Really driving through mountains in a closed car is a bit of a waste, you only see the roof lining.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 5:42 am
Just Joined

blicky is an unknown quantity at this point

Is there room for 2 large suitcases as well?
Old Jun 13th 2007, 5:50 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't recall, sorry, I've rented them many times but have never had suitcases.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 5:56 am
Canadiain

Notiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud of

Should be, Sebrings are midsize at least. Maybe not with the roof down though. Its not a winner if you have kids in the back anyway what with wind / bug buffeting in the back at highway speeds over reasonable distances.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articl...onvertible.htm

If you want to view the country, surely you have to get out of the vehicle? One highway looks a lot like another. Driving in the mountains being the exception.

For motion sickness I would have thought minimising vibration and body roll would be helpfull, so closer to the ground and less trucky?

Minivan is the obvious choice for lugging kids and suitcases around. Cheaper than an SUV too. And usualy its pretty easy to clean up the puke from van upholstery, its one of the primary design requirements in that market segment I believe

Last edited by Notiaink...honest; Jun 13th 2007 at 6:07 am.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 6:04 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Notiaink...honest
Should be, Sebrings are midsize at least.

If you want to view the country, surely you have to get out of the vehicle? One highway looks a lot like another. Driving in the mountains being the exception.

Id be wary of wind / bug buffeting in the back at highway speeds over reasonable distances though.

For motion sickness I would have thought minimising vibration and body roll would be helpfull, so closer to the ground and less trucky?

Minivan is the obvious choice for lugging kids and suitcases around. Cheaper than an SUV too. And ususally its pretty easy to clean up the puke from van upholstery, its one of the primary design requirements in that market segment I believe

Squashy bags are always better than suitcases when it comes to fitting them into cars. Yes, a minivan is better if you have hard sided luggage.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 6:09 am
Canadiain

Notiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dbd33
Squashy bags are always better than suitcases when it comes to fitting them into cars. Yes, a minivan is better if you have hard sided luggage.
Yeah, I changed my mind and editied the origian post. Roof down (and whats the point if you keep the roof up) there is bugger all room for suitcases it seems.

Kids, Cases, Headroom, Roadtrip. It all screams van to me.