Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Highlands/Bear Mountain ~ Victoria

Highlands/Bear Mountain ~ Victoria

Old Aug 30th 2009, 1:17 pm
passport photo

Hammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud of
Question Highlands/Bear Mountain ~ Victoria

Hi all,

Just wondering what the area is like, done the usual searches and property looks decent, not sure about schools, lifestyle, etc. Golf course looks magic

Anyone living here at the moment with a young family? or anyone stop off during a recce trip to Van Island?

Any comments greatly appreciated as always, many thanks.

Also thinking about Langford?

Last edited by Hammy1976; Aug 30th 2009 at 2:15 pm.
Old Aug 30th 2009, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

charlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Highlands/Bear Mountain ~ Victoria

I live in Victoria and have done for a few years now. I have 3 kids.
We live in Oak Bay, as for us being able to walk to a fantastic beach and having good neighbours, and yet we can cycle or drive into downtown Victoria very easily.
I work out towards Langford, in View Royal. For us it was too far out of Victoria itself. The 'Colwood crawl' as they call it is pretty bad if you are going to be commuting into Victoria.But I am driving against the traffic so its fine! Langford lacks the buzz of Victoria. Yes, it has all the shops etc you need but none of the extras like the museums, concerts. It was built really as there was a need for extra housing and it hasn't really got any 'character'.
I have friends that live in a condo on Bear Mountain. They are trying to sell and have been unable to. There are lots of condos up there, even new ones that can't sell. It is even more remote. Buses to Bear Mtn stop early and it is a bloody pain! There are houses and families but you would need to drive everywhere.
For golf, there are other courses in Victoria.
This is just my opinion and what worked for us as a family.
In the UK I would not have wanted to buy a house on a new housing estate and it seems to me that Langford is a large one of these. For the price we paid though for our house here in Oak Bay, we could have had one larger in Langford. But that wasn't the priority for us when we were looking.
You really need to spend some time before committing. You can always rent first and then move! we have done that. Thats what many on here will suggest.
I hope this helps, sorry if its too negative!!
Old Aug 30th 2009, 8:08 pm
passport photo

Hammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by charlottyb
I live in Victoria and have done for a few years now. I have 3 kids.
We live in Oak Bay, as for us being able to walk to a fantastic beach and having good neighbours, and yet we can cycle or drive into downtown Victoria very easily.
I work out towards Langford, in View Royal. For us it was too far out of Victoria itself. The 'Colwood crawl' as they call it is pretty bad if you are going to be commuting into Victoria.But I am driving against the traffic so its fine! Langford lacks the buzz of Victoria. Yes, it has all the shops etc you need but none of the extras like the museums, concerts. It was built really as there was a need for extra housing and it hasn't really got any 'character'.
I have friends that live in a condo on Bear Mountain. They are trying to sell and have been unable to. There are lots of condos up there, even new ones that can't sell. It is even more remote. Buses to Bear Mtn stop early and it is a bloody pain! There are houses and families but you would need to drive everywhere.
For golf, there are other courses in Victoria.
This is just my opinion and what worked for us as a family.
In the UK I would not have wanted to buy a house on a new housing estate and it seems to me that Langford is a large one of these. For the price we paid though for our house here in Oak Bay, we could have had one larger in Langford. But that wasn't the priority for us when we were looking.
You really need to spend some time before committing. You can always rent first and then move! we have done that. Thats what many on here will suggest.
I hope this helps, sorry if its too negative!!
Many thanks for your comments, that's the sort of honesty I was looking for Will probably have a look during our recce but I think our family has a similar wish list and ideally (dependant on budget) would like to be able to cycle or shortish bus journey downtown.

What areas would you suggest for a max budget of $700k, ideally 4 bed with decent schools to walk to (children will be 7 and 4 when we move).

Really appreciate your taking the time to post, karma sent

PS - what beach are you referring to?

Last edited by Hammy1976; Aug 30th 2009 at 8:11 pm.
Old Aug 30th 2009, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

charlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond repute

You need to live in our neighborhood then!
We paid $600,000 for our house. It is 2 bedrooms on main floor and 3 down in the 'basement' which is actually ground level!
It needs some work doing to it, like a bathroom and the ugliest garage you ever saw! (Although Oak Bay Municipality as some strange by-laws like that you have to have covered parking!)
we live near Willows beach in Oak Bay.
Here is the webcam!!

http://bigwavedave.ca/webcams.php?cam=7

Willows school and Monterey are an easy walk. Along with Oak Bay village which has some great local shops.
The area of Oak Bay we live in is 'Estevan'. Lots of families and very safe.
10 minute drive to downtown Victoria too!

Hope this helps.
Old Aug 30th 2009, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

I just wrote a reply out to you and the link to the webcam at the local beach, but it seems it may not be allowed on the site!

We rented in Oak Bay and only bought earlier this year.We live in an area called Estevan and it is near Willows Beach. There are coffee shops, great local shops and all you need in Oak Bay. Plus it is only 10 mins to drive into downtown Victoria. Its a really safe neighbourhod with lots of families.

Our house has 2 beds up and 2/3 down and it cost us $600.000. we had to have it rewired and will work through a list of other stuff but nothing urgent.

The local schools are Willows (K-5) and Monterey (6-8) both you could walk or cycle to.

Fairfield is another great area. All Around Cook Street and Dallas Rd.

Hope this helps. Ask anymore questions by all means!
Old Aug 30th 2009, 9:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

I just wrote a reply out to you and the link to the webcam at the local beach, but it seems it may not be allowed on the site!

We rented in Oak Bay and only bought earlier this year.We live in an area called Estevan and it is near Willows Beach. There are coffee shops, great local shops and all you need in Oak Bay. Plus it is only 10 mins to drive into downtown Victoria. Its a really safe neighbourhod with lots of families.

Our house has 2 beds up and 2/3 down and it cost us $600.000. we had to have it rewired and will work through a list of other stuff but nothing urgent.

The local schools are Willows (K-5) and Monterey (6-8) both you could walk or cycle to.

Fairfield is another great area. All Around Cook Street and Dallas Rd.

Hope this helps. Ask anymore questions by all means!
and the best fish and chip place in town.......
Old Aug 30th 2009, 9:00 pm
passport photo

great stuff, thanks very much.
Old Aug 30th 2009, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by willmore
and the best fish and chip place in town.......
Ah yes the Willows Galley, although they close at about 6pm and sometimes it takes 45 mins to get them! But yes they are good!!
Old Aug 30th 2009, 9:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Ah yes the Willows Galley, although they close at about 6pm and sometimes it takes 45 mins to get them! But yes they are good!!
They do seem to have strange hours and seem to be closed a fair bit, or so it seems whenever we the dog to willows beach for a doggie date.....

We live in fairfield overlooking gonzales beach - beautiful area....
Old Aug 31st 2009, 1:43 am
Just Joined

valefanincanada is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,
I have to agree with the other post regarding Bear Mountain and the surrounding area, I'd stay away from it if you can . For $700000 you can get a really nice house in Victoria. We live in the Strawberry Vale area and for us it's ideal, close enough to town (15mins) close enough to the ferries (25mins) and with hiking and walking trails on our doorstep, Good luck in your search and if you need any info just pm me.