Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

High school diploma

High school diploma

Old Aug 29th 2007, 12:16 am
got visa

scrim20gb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default High school diploma

Hi, I have been living here for three years now and have decided on a career move to the police force. They require that I have a grade 12 diploma, given that I never went to school in Canada, I don't have one. Has any one here been in the same situation, if so, how did you get around it? I'm dreading the thought of having to take a GED test.....
Old Aug 29th 2007, 12:34 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: High school diploma

Originally Posted by scrim20gb
Hi, I have been living here for three years now and have decided on a career move to the police force. They require that I have a grade 12 diploma, given that I never went to school in Canada, I don't have one. Has any one here been in the same situation, if so, how did you get around it? I'm dreading the thought of having to take a GED test.....
Can you not take a transcript of your UK educational marks to the Ministry of Education in whatever province you reside and have them translate your marks into Canadian standards.

This is what I had to do way back in 1971 but I'm not sure if it still applies.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 1:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Hi - which force are you thinking of applying to? Most are probably used to the odd UK applicant. Do you have details of your UK schooling, ie, O levels (if you are that old!), A levels, GCSE's etc. Or even any other work related apprenticeship or additional education/courses ?

Any of the above would suffice, I suspect, if you have been out of school for a few years now.

And, looking back at some of your other posts, may I refer you to some advice you gave out in Feb 2005 - "Debt" - "run to Canada dude, you will probably get away with it". !!!

Think carefully ref the requirement to take the polygraph !!
Old Aug 29th 2007, 6:22 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Your pet budgie could pass the GED. Don't sweat it.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 12:30 pm
got visa

scrim20gb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ann m
Hi - which force are you thinking of applying to? Most are probably used to the odd UK applicant. Do you have details of your UK schooling, ie, O levels (if you are that old!), A levels, GCSE's etc. Or even any other work related apprenticeship or additional education/courses ?

Any of the above would suffice, I suspect, if you have been out of school for a few years now.

And, looking back at some of your other posts, may I refer you to some advice you gave out in Feb 2005 - "Debt" - "run to Canada dude, you will probably get away with it". !!!

Think carefully ref the requirement to take the polygraph !!
Ann M, I cleared all debt before leaving the UK, some how I knew it would come back to bite me in the arse if I didn't. Glad I a did, as bad credit is frowned upon as a police officer.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 4:07 pm
Banned

Helen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud of

I know there is a place in Edmonton and one in Toronto..... where you send in copys of all school exams obtained in the UK and within a few weeks it comes back with what level you have achieved in Canada.

I had to do this to become a realtor and I am sure it only cost a $100 or something similar.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 4:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Ann M, I cleared all debt before leaving the UK, some how I knew it would come back to bite me in the arse if I didn't. Glad I a did, as bad credit is frowned upon as a police officer.
Yes it is . I wasn't intimating that you had left debts behind, but just having a gentle rib at you ref the advice you gave others !!