Reload this Page >

Hi from Spain !

Hi from Spain !

Old Dec 14th 2008, 12:07 pm
Just Joined

Palacio Blanco is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hi from Spain !

Hi there,

We are expats living in Spain running a boutique hotel near Malaga.

Getting itchy feet again and thinking about moving to Canada to open a new boutique hotel there - have been advised that Vancouver area, Victoria Islands, Whistler is the place to go. (don´t want to learn another language again so French Canada doesn´t appeal!)

Having never been to Canada before we have some basic questions to start the process going (please be honest as we would be for anyone considering a move to Spain)

This is the very first step in our research, so we apologie to all if the questions sound stupid or have already been covered but we think it´s always best to get personal replies.

Climate - we´re used to pretty good weather here ! how wet and cold does it get in the Vancouver area and are the summers good (and reliable?)
Schools - are there good international schools?
Community - do the Canadians mix? (the Spanish don´t !). We would love to integrate as much as we can. Is it easy to meet new friends?
Property - where would you advise we start looking to buy either an existing hotel or a building to convert. Good agents/property searchers. Also, what are the rough costs at the moment?
Sports - we presume good sports facilities - our 2 boys are really into Rugby, skateboarding etc
Meals out - incredibly cheap and good here in Spain - what is the average cost of a good meal out for 4, including wine.
Immigration - I presume because we are aiming to invest in a hotel and thus provide employment, that we wouldn´t have a problem?
Employment - will the boys have good opportunity for employment or is there a protectionist attitude? (there is here is Spain - very difficult if you´re not Spanish) We want the best opportunity for our boys´future.

Finally, how is it over there? Do you enjoy it as much as you thought you would?

Thanks in advance from Nick and Lesley at Hotel Palacio Blanco (come and see us if you´re ever visiting Southern Spain)
Old Dec 14th 2008, 12:52 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi from Spain !

The Wiki is your friend.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Category:Canada
Old Dec 14th 2008, 1:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome.

I think your first step needs to be concentrating on the immigration part of your question and making sure you qualify for a visa, before you worry about where to live etc. If memory serves me correctly you need to invest about $800,000, do a search of the forum for more info on the entreprenuer route and have a read of this CIC page and see if you would qualify.............http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...ness/index.asp.

And the only question I can answer in your list is about Vancouver's weather - v v wet!! Twice the annual rainfall of London, although does get lovely summers I believe. But very wet in winter.

Hope that helps, good luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Dec 14th 2008 at 1:32 pm.
Old Dec 14th 2008, 2:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

chumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond repute

sounds like you would be perfect candidates for the nova scotia community identified route do a search on here there are loads of posts and experiences

no need to do any investing for this its very straightforward so long as you fit the criteria and are preapred to put yourself out to integrate its very easy and quick

if luck goes your way you can get as far as med request ie last lap within 3 months of applying for PNP
Old Dec 14th 2008, 11:30 pm
Forum Regular

allicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant future

Hi there, sorry I can't answer most of your questions as we moved to Alberta and came with emploment contracts so different there as well. However we did come here from Spain not from the UK. It is a little more complicated then moving direct from the UK as any Spannish documents need to be officially translated and getting police checks out of the Spannish records office is like pulling teeth. However it can be done but will take a little longer, once you have had a chance to look in to the immagration side of things if you have any queations about the Spannish side then please feel free to PM me and I will help you with whatever I can.

Good Luck

Alli
Old Dec 15th 2008, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

achanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really nice

Originally Posted by Palacio Blanco
Hi there,

We are expats living in Spain running a boutique hotel near Malaga.

Getting itchy feet again and thinking about moving to Canada to open a new boutique hotel there - have been advised that Vancouver area, Victoria Islands, Whistler is the place to go. (don´t want to learn another language again so French Canada doesn´t appeal!)

Having never been to Canada before we have some basic questions to start the process going (please be honest as we would be for anyone considering a move to Spain)

This is the very first step in our research, so we apologie to all if the questions sound stupid or have already been covered but we think it´s always best to get personal replies.
Welcome to forum Nick and Lesley, Spain with its balmy climate does appeal to me right now. Its -34C here this morning !! please see answers in red.

So do you think this will be a permanent move? you mentioned itchy feet.....it cost so much financially and emotionally, to move your whole lives and starting from scratch again.

Climate - we´re used to pretty good weather here ! how wet and cold does it get in the Vancouver area and are the summers good (and reliable?)wet and cold winters, reasonably good summers although not sure how reliable
Schools - are there good international schools? sorry not sure on this one although Vancouver is such a multicultural soctiey I should think there will be no problem with this
Community - do the Canadians mix? (the Spanish don´t !). We would love to integrate as much as we can. Is it easy to meet new friends?Yes as long as you are prepared to get out and make the effort.
Property - where would you advise we start looking to buy either an existing hotel or a building to convert. Good agents/property searchers. Also, what are the rough costs at the moment?cannot help with this questions
Sports - we presume good sports facilities - our 2 boys are really into Rugby, skateboarding etcsport opportunities are great!
Meals out - incredibly cheap and good here in Spain - what is the average cost of a good meal out for 4, including wine.probably cost you a lot more than Spain.
Immigration - I presume because we are aiming to invest in a hotel and thus provide employment, that we wouldn´t have a problem?check the CIC website, it may not be as simple as that.
Employment - will the boys have good opportunity for employment or is there a protectionist attitude? (there is here is Spain - very difficult if you´re not Spanish) We want the best opportunity for our boys´future.multicultural society again would mean this is not a problem. By the time they are looking for work they will be "Canadian"

Finally, how is it over there? Do you enjoy it as much as you thought you would?For me I would say yes and no. It is a great lifestyle I love it here, it is everything I dreamed of having and more. I feel grateful everyday to have the opportunity to live in such an amazing place. Yes the first few years are hard, getting used to subtle cultural differences that can take you by surprise. Missing family you don't get over just get used to. Like yesterday the CP holiday train came through our town, with Santa all the Christmas lights singing etc it was beautiful. At times like that I alway wish I could share it with my extended family and they could see Oliver (our son) enjoying it. Describing it over the phone is never the same.

Good luck with your research.. happy to answer any other questions you have. (I'm in Alberta) Louise

Thanks in advance from Nick and Lesley at Hotel Palacio Blanco (come and see us if you´re ever visiting Southern Spain)