Reload this Page >

hi everyone moving to canada

hi everyone moving to canada

Old Dec 7th 2008, 1:48 pm
Just Joined

Location: born in blackburn lancashire, living in jersey, moving to canada
holtyny is an unknown quantity at this point
Default hi everyone moving to canada

just wanted to say i have just joined british expats not a real expat yet but hopefully next year, just come back from vancouver after having job interviews, i have decided summerland/penticton area is the place i am going to try, now i am looking at apartments to rent can anyone let me know would it be easy to book a hotel when i do go to live and find a apartment whilst staying in the hotel, i am a single male so really finding a apartment should not be a problem. right? any tips or help would be great thankyou
ian
Old Dec 7th 2008, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

RANDW is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: hi everyone moving to canada

Hi Ian,

Welcome to BE, my OH is working in Penticton, he rented a room in a hotel for about a month before he found a basement suite, they do long rents in some hotels there, think it cost him about $800 for the month.

Here is the link to the local newspaper to help look for an apartment.
http://www.pentictonherald.ca/
You should be OK this time of year, gets a lot harder to find something in the summer months.

Good luck,
R
Old Dec 7th 2008, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

mr.mac has much to be proud ofmr.mac has much to be proud ofmr.mac has much to be proud ofmr.mac has much to be proud ofmr.mac has much to be proud ofmr.mac has much to be proud ofmr.mac has much to be proud ofmr.mac has much to be proud ofmr.mac has much to be proud ofmr.mac has much to be proud ofmr.mac has much to be proud of

Hey Ian, Welcome I'm new too, just joined this week and hoping to move next year also...I've been to Canada a few times now (my wife is Canadian) so if you got any questions let me know.
Old Dec 8th 2008, 4:44 am

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE
Old Dec 9th 2008, 6:05 am
Just Joined

hey thanks for the replys everyone , i went for my job interviews last week in b.c and all asked me to work for them and they will sponsor me so now i am waiting , oooohhh its exciting ,once again thanks for the help,
Old Dec 9th 2008, 3:55 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by holtyny
hey thanks for the replys everyone , i went for my job interviews last week in b.c and all asked me to work for them and they will sponsor me so now i am waiting , oooohhh its exciting ,once again thanks for the help,
Welcome & congrats on the job offers. Many people on here would be interested to hear your line of work?
Old Dec 13th 2008, 6:57 am
Just Joined

Talking Re: hi everyone moving to canada

yea i am a painter&decorator time served, i have also got my level 3 nvq in carpentry&joinery, and ive just finished my level 2 nhc in interior design, but i am moving to canada as a painter, i think it helped a lot that i did my apprentice at bae systems, ministry of defence, so happy days one thinks, i just hope there is no snag with my move , even though jersey is a nice place ive had enough with it and its time to move on, my dream is to live and work in newyork if i have to go via canada and other places i will but nothing will stop me from realising the dream i have had for all my life,thankyou me
Old Dec 13th 2008, 10:29 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by holtyny
yea i am a painter&decorator time served, i have also got my level 3 nvq in carpentry&joinery, and ive just finished my level 2 nhc in interior design, but i am moving to canada as a painter, i think it helped a lot that i did my apprentice at bae systems, ministry of defence, so happy days one thinks, i just hope there is no snag with my move , even though jersey is a nice place ive had enough with it and its time to move on, my dream is to live and work in newyork if i have to go via canada and other places i will but nothing will stop me from realising the dream i have had for all my life,thankyou me
Congrats on your job offers, great news.

Just had to say though, you do realise that being a Canadian PR or even citizen doesn't make it any easier to work in the US don't you? The only advantage it would give you is that once you are a Canadian citizen (so in a minimum of 4 years time) you could work there on a NAFTA visa, but you'd need a degree and to be in an occupation on this list to qualify for one of those.........http://www.u-s-a-immigration.com/INS...eries_List.htm

You would be better off going back to college, getting a degree, re-training and getting a few years experience in an occupation that would get you a work visa for the US if that is your real aim, rather than just wasting time going via Canada which doesn't give you any advantage and just takes away a visa from somebody that genuinely wants to live in Canada!!

I'm sure you've researched this but did just want to point it out in case you weren't aware and thought that being in Canada would get you to New York easier which is not the case.

Best of luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Dec 13th 2008 at 10:32 am.