Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Hi! Does the cold weather affect your health?

Hi! Does the cold weather affect your health?

Old Jan 10th 2008, 8:17 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi! Does the cold weather affect your health?

In a word NETWORKING

In another word or two send out resumes to everyone you can, and then call to follow up with the named contact you sent it too.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 8:28 am
Just Joined

malikrangers is an unknown quantity at this point

hey iaink!
do you mean i should send resumes to various companies or to people here on the expat forums? sorry for the dumb question
Old Jan 10th 2008, 9:48 am
Just Joined

Lenny is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello again...

Finding a job in Canada from abroad is pretty difficult. As a general rule they won't give you a job until you have 'landed'. I know this from bitter experience.

However, if your husbands company has offices in Canada then there is a pretty good chance that a temporary working visa is possible ...but again it will take time to become reality.

Has your husband tried calling HR departments in his live of work. Calgary is busrsting at the seems with vacancies - I cannot say for certain if his line of work in one of those industries. Every little counts.

To be honest with you, 6 months is an incredibly tight deadline.

On the subject of your child speaking German ...is this the reason for the rush? If so are there not English language schools in Germany that could accomodate while you get the material together for a successful emigration?

I'm sorry if this doesn't really give you the answers you're looking for. It is frustrating, but to be honest, time is your best friend when emigrating to a place like Canada (it's big and varies a lot depending on your individual needs).

I did a simple search ...try these http://www.sigmasolutions.ca/products.html http://www.auldandco.com/jobs-managementconsultant.php

Can you explain to me what exactly a Six Sigma Black Belt is? I know it's not Martial Arts! If you can tailor down the details for me I'll have a good look and see what pops up. Does his skills leand him into Oil and Gas industries? Lots of work there.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 10:27 am
Just Joined

malikrangers is an unknown quantity at this point

hi lenny,

he works for a pharmaceutical company-manufactering.
six sigma black belt is a new business strategy. i think it has soemthibg to do with reducing cost and imporoving quality of processes within the companyor division

we have registered with monster.ca and search workopolis too but ahve not doen it for months!

i don't want my son to start school here because of the whole making freinds then taking him out of school, the whole langauge thing where it will be harder for him to understand the teachers etc. english school is not an option here

thanks for your help!
Old Jan 10th 2008, 12:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Journeyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by malikrangers
hi lenny,

he works for a pharmaceutical company-manufactering.
six sigma black belt is a new business strategy. i think it has soemthibg to do with reducing cost and imporoving quality of processes within the companyor division

we have registered with monster.ca and search workopolis too but ahve not doen it for months!

i don't want my son to start school here because of the whole making freinds then taking him out of school, the whole langauge thing where it will be harder for him to understand the teachers etc. english school is not an option here

thanks for your help!
Well I managed to catch walking pneumonia and couldn't get out of bed for three days straight during my first winter in Alberta. When the temperature reaches minus 20 the inside of your nose freezes, when the wind chill takes the surface temperature below minus 35 you are at risk of frostbite to exposed areas of flesh.
Apart from that flu and cold virus are similar to the old country.