Reload this Page >

Hi de Hi......

Hi de Hi......

Old Sep 17th 2007, 1:11 am
Just Joined

Scrumpy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hi de Hi......

Hey Expats!

Hello one and all. London calling. I've completed all the forms, had the medical and waited endlessly but now am in possession of one shinny new PR visa. Planning to book a one-way flight to Vancouver in March of next year to begin my Canadian odyssey.

Having finished with all the admin stuff I'm now trying to get organised for life after Blighty and was hoping you good people could give me some pointers.

Currently I'm working in the Pharmaceutical industry. All the equivalent jobs seem to be in the Toronto area and I'm having trouble finding much in BC. Any ideas, or does anyone know of any good resources? I've been reading a lot about recruitment agencies out there, is this a good way to do it? Also do you have to wait till you get you PR card before you can take up employment? Other than that I'm just looking for advice from those who've been through the process and can recommend things I should do, but have probably forgotten about.

And a couple of questions for anyone living in the Vancouver area......
To a large extent it will depend on were I can get a job but which areas of the city are best when trying to find apartments for rent? When providing references what kind of form do these take?
And of course the most important question, can anyone recommend a good pub to watch football in?

Anyway that’s quite Qs enough to start with. Look forward to chatting to you all in the future!

Scrumps
Old Sep 17th 2007, 1:38 am

Member123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hi de Hi......

....and Ho de Ho to you Scrumpy.

Cannot answer any of your questions but I just wanted to Welcome you to BE and say Congratulations on your PR visa.
Old Sep 17th 2007, 1:52 am
Banned

Howard1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud of

Not sure if you are in sales or not, but the bulk of the majors have their HQ's in Quebec, a legacy from generous tax incentives.

Most have WEB sites that you can go to, if Sales, many use recruiters.

Sales, Locke and Associates, Brethet Barnum, St Amour.

Mississauga has a couple, out West, you may find a few bio techs.
Old Sep 18th 2007, 12:33 am
Just Joined

Scrumpy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Folks!!

Not in Sales so much but It'd be a good place to start.
Old Sep 18th 2007, 7:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Yoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE
Register with www.medhunters.com
My cousin found a biotech job in Edmonton through medhunters
after failing to find a job in TO and Ottawa.

She is going to start a new job in the oncology dept. at U of AB.
this week .She finds that it is easier to find a job in the biotech
due to her Canadian experience.

http://www.relocation2bc.com/biotech.htm or PM Frank'n Sense

http://www.lifesciencesbc.ca/Employment/
www.mls.ca

Good luck,
Yoong
Old Sep 18th 2007, 8:55 am
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE good luck in your search for the right job
Old Sep 18th 2007, 7:52 pm

Member123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lorna_D
Welcome to BE good luck in your search for the right job
Think your avatar should be...in Regina Beach at last
Old Sep 19th 2007, 10:49 am
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scrumpy
Hey Expats!

Hello one and all. London calling. I've completed all the forms, had the medical and waited endlessly but now am in possession of one shinny new PR visa. Planning to book a one-way flight to Vancouver in March of next year to begin my Canadian odyssey.

Having finished with all the admin stuff I'm now trying to get organised for life after Blighty and was hoping you good people could give me some pointers.

Currently I'm working in the Pharmaceutical industry. All the equivalent jobs seem to be in the Toronto area and I'm having trouble finding much in BC. Any ideas, or does anyone know of any good resources? I've been reading a lot about recruitment agencies out there, is this a good way to do it? Also do you have to wait till you get you PR card before you can take up employment? Other than that I'm just looking for advice from those who've been through the process and can recommend things I should do, but have probably forgotten about.

To a large extent it will depend on were I can get a job but which areas of the city are best when trying to find apartments for rent? When providing references what kind of form do these take?
And of course the most important question, can anyone recommend a good pub to watch football in?

Anyway that’s quite Qs enough to start with. Look forward to chatting to you all in the future!

Scrumps

Scrumps if you ask your question in the main Canada Forum you may get more answers.

As you have already found out if you don't give enough detail you don't get answers that suit you very well. Also I would spilt them up into different links as it's easy to get of a single topic without having a mutlitude of Q's

For example heading
Pharmaceutical - ???????Job title ????? BC

Info looking for work I'm a qualified ?????? with experience in ?????? field.

oh yea welcome to BE have fun.
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

shahzadandkelly is just really niceshahzadandkelly is just really niceshahzadandkelly is just really niceshahzadandkelly is just really niceshahzadandkelly is just really niceshahzadandkelly is just really niceshahzadandkelly is just really niceshahzadandkelly is just really niceshahzadandkelly is just really nice

Hi Scrumps

A one way flight

That makes me smile alot as I continue the wait.

Welcome to BE from one newbie to another!

Kelly
Old Sep 25th 2007, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

cockney has much to be proud ofcockney has much to be proud ofcockney has much to be proud ofcockney has much to be proud ofcockney has much to be proud ofcockney has much to be proud ofcockney has much to be proud ofcockney has much to be proud ofcockney has much to be proud ofcockney has much to be proud ofcockney has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Hi de Hi......

Originally Posted by Scrumpy
Hey Expats!

Scrumps
Welcome to 'BE'. I don't know much about the pharmaceutical industry but I suspect your right and that it is more in the East of Canada. You can try some of the local sites though : http://www.vancouverjobs.com/ http://www.donkeyorange.com/vancouver_jobs/. These should help but be prepared to look at being flexible, and consider all possibilities.
Vancouver is a lovely city no doubt-mild weather, great sport facilities and a fairly laid back mentality. It's pretty easy to rent somewhere whichever area you go to-I'm in North Vancouver and there are quite a few Brits here. Many of the pubs have tv but mainly local/us games but we now have a new channel on the shaw cable network called sedanta which shows all the premier uk games. Hope that helps