Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Hi All Newbe here

Hi All Newbe here

Old Sep 15th 2007, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

TheStennings is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hi All Newbe here

Posted the other day for first time in the maple leaf section hould have started here first!

My family and I have applied to ship out to canada about a year and a half ago. We have visited Vancouver(rained every day) and a place called London in Ontario (about 2 hours drive west of Toronto airport) in early 2005 to see the worst of the weather ... let me say that the snow that fell on th car in London whidch i was dreading to scrape off just simply brushed away..... dam nice compared to our scraping the cars in the winter and thats at around 5 degrees or less where London was -24 with a wind chill of -35!

Anyway family of 4, two children daughter is almost 13 and my son is 10. Wife not too sure about moving out there so loads of fears etc but i am not going to force her i'd prefer her to read from others or better yet talk to other mum's on the phone etc

What do i hope to gain from here...Hope we can pick up a few friends from here especially from other families and tips (I am reading through numerous posts on here!). generally find out best ways to get moved there i.e. where to sort jobs or look for them, to rent first and good areas to live in etc.. loads of questions who doesn't !!

Look forward to speaking to you guys

Last edited by TheStennings; Sep 15th 2007 at 9:22 am.
Old Sep 15th 2007, 7:58 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi All Newbe here

Hi there,
Welcome from another Brit on the wrong side of the atlantic.
(Bad day today, can you tell?)
Old Sep 15th 2007, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Rob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheStennings
Posted the other day for first time in the maple leaf section hould have started here first!

My family and I have applied to ship out to canada about a year and a half ago. We have visited Vancouver(rained every day) and a place called London in Ontario (about 2 hours drive west of Toronto airport) in early 2005 to see the worst of the weather ... let me say that the snow that fell on th car in London whidch i was dreading to scrape off just simply brushed away..... dam nice compared to our scraping the cars in the winter and thats at around 5 degrees or less where London was -24 with a wind chill of -35!

Anyway family of 4, two children daughter is almost 13 and my son is 10. Wife not too sure about moving out there so loads of fears etc but i am not going to force her i'd prefer her to read from others or better yet talk to other mum's on the phone etc

What do i hope to gain from here...Hope we can pick up a few friends from here especially from other families and tips (I am reading through numerous posts on here!). generally find out best ways to get moved there i.e. where to sort jobs or look for them, to rent first and good areas to live in etc.. loads of questions who doesn't !!

Look forward to making
Welcome to BE
Keep working your way through the old posts/threads and the Wikki and ask questions of course - when that gets too much, join us in The Maple Leaf for a bit of a laugh.

Do tell, what are you looking forward to making? Friends I assume?

Rob
Old Sep 15th 2007, 12:20 pm

Member123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello the Stennings and Welcome to BE.

Get your wife on here reading all the posts and she will soon change her mind.

But be warned...you may never hear tell of her again as it is very addictive...ask my husband

Alison.
Old Sep 15th 2007, 1:39 pm
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

Reading through posts will always give you different perspectives. But you are you, so don't be swayed by other opinions, just read em thats all.

Do you know which part of Canada you fancy yet ? We are in AB. Been here 2 yrs, had numerous bouts of homesickness along the way, had first trip back to UK this summer, and now feel more settled here. Still unsure if its forever, but we are living life to the full out here, and thats what its all about.
Best of luck
Old Sep 15th 2007, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Guys yup did post on ol' Maple part then saw this section for meet 'n' greet oh and yes hoping to make new friends and pick up experiences especially n the cost department if people didnt like the companies that moved them or vice versa as i have no idea on costs etc as yet but we have time as we're only halfway through but hoping next year to do a fact finding trip to alberta where we want to get to a school, check out price of a typical weekly shopping (might be able to do that on line) but sure be interesting to see what is cheaper and what is more expensive between the two places especialy if true that wages are roughly half we get but still better lifestyle safer and cleaner i reckon !

Dont' know Calgary or Alberta itself that well but I think my wife and kids want to go to Edmonton mall if we get to go out there the size of it on the net blows your mind!

If anyone has good areas thoguh where they live or maybe areas to avoid - every town/city always has those then please let me know.

oh yeah cheers and thanks for the warm welcome!
Old Sep 15th 2007, 9:48 pm

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

Welcome to BE

So what did you think of london??
We have just returned from a 3 week trip in that area and loved the smaller areas around it.

Hubby managed to get me to agree to the move, only took him 5 yrs and one visit and im hooked

gill
Old Sep 16th 2007, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

Yeah London wasn't too bad. ~When we went t was very cold -24 with -35 wind chill factor but to be fair once we'd got decked out it was only cold on our faces unlike the UK when the weather could be say 5 degrees and you feel chilled to the bone.

It was nice though and we stayed in the hotel opposite a big mall there. I think the hotel was called 'days inn'. We teat at i thin kthe place was called Wendy's and a trip to the hut as we love their pizza's. Wife was dissapointed by pizza hut though as they don't do sweetcorn but there will be some differences and that may be for a certain area or some other reason.

Overall it was pretty and i think people thought we were odd though when we would walk from the hotel to the mall as it was over the road whereas others took their cars! Well .... we're just used to walking to places and it was only a few hundred yards away
Old Sep 16th 2007, 10:32 am

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

WALKING you dont walk in canada

I have to admit, we stayed in port stanley and the amount of people that would take the car to the shop

Me and kids off for walks, down to beech and carry little one as shes on the "HATE sand" age

I have to admit that london was on the large side, although fab shops, st thomas has got fab areas as well as better priced houses, plus there is alot of investment going in at moment, plus 10/15 mins to london

Gill
Old Sep 16th 2007, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

I guess i didn't see the point fro getting in a car and crossing the road to get to the shops. By the time you strap yourselves in yadda yadda yo'd be there. Having said that though in Canada there are oh so many lakes and of course in alberta / vancouver you have the rockies so great for walks i imagine around those places. I expect they have numerous parks safe from well bears etc but i guess if you stick to paths you'd be fine afterall they are likely scared of us and only attack when you provoke them

Over here we do have beautiful areas too but not as well looked after i imagine as much as the national parks are over there unless you pay the national trust prices here. Perhaps parking around canadaian parks is free in comparison!

I'd love to go on the trains through the roskie albeit a short trip i'm guessing after a while it would be wearing on the kids on the side of boredomm but beautiful

Been trying to catch any programs on sky that feature houses over there such as location, location, location and a place in the sun etc.. saw one 'place in the sun' featuring Vancouver Island which looked great but job wise tough unless you travel. Interesting though the island (so thaey said) gets 200 days sunshine a year and half the rainful vancouver has... man did it rain when we were there!