Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Hi all, A Million Questions To Ask

Hi all, A Million Questions To Ask

Old Jul 29th 2005, 5:57 am
Forum Regular

SonjaNTony has a brilliant futureSonjaNTony has a brilliant futureSonjaNTony has a brilliant futureSonjaNTony has a brilliant futureSonjaNTony has a brilliant futureSonjaNTony has a brilliant futureSonjaNTony has a brilliant future
Thumbs up Hi all, A Million Questions To Ask

Hi Everyone,

I am a regular on British Expats but this is my 1st post on the Canada forum as we are now looking into the possibility of moving to Canada. (we have just been unsuccessful in migrating to Australia).

Canada was seriously considered before trying for Australia and now we are seeking help and advice on whether we should try Canada.

The 1st hurdle i need to cross is whether or not there is a public health service and if there is, are new migrants eligible to use it?

I am asking this as the reason we got knocked back for Australia was the cost of treating my sons ongoing medical condition. So before i go ahead and start the ball rolling i need to know if there is any point.

Things like is there a set cut off point on the cost of medical treatment before your application is refused - if there is does anyone know what it is?

Any info or known websites would be super and i would be greatly thankful.

Thanks Everyone

Tony
Old Jul 29th 2005, 8:11 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi all, A Million Questions To Ask

Hi Tony,

You might get more vibes by switching this post to the Canadian Immigration forum.

In the meantime here's a link to one of the Provincial healthcare sites, B.C.'s MSP system, which you can investigate. I guess it also depends which province you have in mind, but most will be similar due to federal factors on healthcare management, budgets, etc. Hope this helps.

http://www.healthservices.gov.bc.ca/msp/

Rich.
Old Jul 29th 2005, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

SonjaNTony has a brilliant futureSonjaNTony has a brilliant futureSonjaNTony has a brilliant futureSonjaNTony has a brilliant futureSonjaNTony has a brilliant futureSonjaNTony has a brilliant futureSonjaNTony has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Hi Tony,

You might get more vibes by switching this post to the Canadian Immigration forum.

In the meantime here's a link to one of the Provincial healthcare sites, B.C.'s MSP system, which you can investigate. I guess it also depends which province you have in mind, but most will be similar due to federal factors on healthcare management, budgets, etc. Hope this helps.

http://www.healthservices.gov.bc.ca/msp/

Rich.
Thanks Rich,
Just going to copy and paste it over,
Then ill have a look at the site

Thank You

Sonja
Old Jul 29th 2005, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

proo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to all

Originally Posted by SonjaNTony
Hi Everyone,

I am a regular on British Expats but this is my 1st post on the Canada forum as we are now looking into the possibility of moving to Canada. (we have just been unsuccessful in migrating to Australia).

Canada was seriously considered before trying for Australia and now we are seeking help and advice on whether we should try Canada.

The 1st hurdle i need to cross is whether or not there is a public health service and if there is, are new migrants eligible to use it?

I am asking this as the reason we got knocked back for Australia was the cost of treating my sons ongoing medical condition. So before i go ahead and start the ball rolling i need to know if there is any point.

Things like is there a set cut off point on the cost of medical treatment before your application is refused - if there is does anyone know what it is?

Any info or known websites would be super and i would be greatly thankful.

Thanks Everyone

Tony
If you don't mind, can you say why you were refused? If it was due to your son's ongoing medical condition, your application to Canada could be refused for the same reason. It'd be worth asking them about it though as they could consider your application with discretion.
Good luck!
Old Jul 29th 2005, 8:33 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by proo
If you don't mind, can you say why you were refused? If it was due to your son's ongoing medical condition, your application to Canada could be refused for the same reason. It'd be worth asking them about it though as they could consider your application with discretion.
Good luck!

Hi ,
No i dont mind you asking at all, Yes it was because of my sons condition well not the condition itself but the cost of it,he has Growth Hormone Deficiency so it wont stop him going to school or working when hes older,we have been told he may not need it when hes older, thats why we want to know everything before we even start the process,we were a little annoyed with the refusal as we were told by the doctor who did the medicals it wouldn't be a problem.

Thank You for your reply

Sonja & Tony
Old Jul 29th 2005, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

Gail will become famous soon enoughGail will become famous soon enough

If you don't have a full-time job you won't have any benefits. There is a health system but you have to pay for your medication then claim it back from your insurer.

I know someone whose son has to have the Growth Hormone injections - they are $10,000 a shot, luckily they have benefits or he wouldn't be able to have them (this is in Ontario). Many of our patients who don't have benefits have to choose between their different medications as they can't afford to have very many. If you have diabetes it can be very expensive as you have to buy all your own testing strips as well as medication.

Why don't you contact the Ministry of Health for the province you are interested in and find out what their policy is. At least then you will know as the Growth Hormone could be financially crippling if you have to pay for it.