Hi all.

Old Feb 14th 2013, 12:13 pm
DAG
Just Joined

DAG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hi all.

Hi everyone!

I've been lurking round here for a while and more recently the Canada sub-forum.

I've done a lot of researching or browsing to be exact, but it seems my particular job isn't anywhere to be seen, or the trade. I work in the Automotive industry and have done since 17 (30 this year). I've worked in parts and have seen a number of jobs termmed "automotive product advisor". The job description seems the same. So I'm aiming to go for that. Maybe even a Parts Manager, but doubt I'll be suitable for that. I have extensive knowlede with VAG (VW/AUDI). The rates of pay for the job are mindblowing, I mean anywhere from $20-$30 CAD, which right of the bat is more than I earn now. I don't really hav any other skills, though I am considering doing a degree with the Open University in Business and Management.

I have no kids and currently single - so not ties to stay here. Other than family, but they seem to be encouraging about the idea.

What I'm trying to ask is, what are the best areas to move in, (I live in the outside of a small city), and would like to carry on with that or in the City, (depending on cost), I love to snowboard and that is a contributing factor.

Thanks if anyone can help, and sorry if it's worded weirdly .
Old Feb 14th 2013, 4:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi all.

Hi, and welcome to BE.

First question is will you need a job offer to get a visa? If so, then don't worry about where to live just yet, as you may be putting the cart before the horse. You may not find you get much choice in the matter and just have to go wherever you can find an employer prepared to sponsor you.

If you haven't seen it already, the IEC visa seems to be an obvious choice for you. But you'll need to be very quick as the program has literally just opened moments ago, and visas are predicated to go within days!

But that would give you a year's open work permit, so make it easy for you go to wherever you want and be work authorised, meaning you're much more attractive to an employer than them having to go through the paperwork/hassle/wait of a LMO application.

HTH a bit, good luck.
Old Feb 14th 2013, 7:21 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DAG
Hi everyone!

I've been lurking round here for a while and more recently the Canada sub-forum.

I've done a lot of researching or browsing to be exact, but it seems my particular job isn't anywhere to be seen, or the trade. I work in the Automotive industry and have done since 17 (30 this year). I've worked in parts and have seen a number of jobs termmed "automotive product advisor". The job description seems the same. So I'm aiming to go for that. Maybe even a Parts Manager, but doubt I'll be suitable for that. I have extensive knowlede with VAG (VW/AUDI). The rates of pay for the job are mindblowing, I mean anywhere from $20-$30 CAD, which right of the bat is more than I earn now. I don't really hav any other skills, though I am considering doing a degree with the Open University in Business and Management.

I have no kids and currently single - so not ties to stay here. Other than family, but they seem to be encouraging about the idea.

What I'm trying to ask is, what are the best areas to move in, (I live in the outside of a small city), and would like to carry on with that or in the City, (depending on cost), I love to snowboard and that is a contributing factor.

Thanks if anyone can help, and sorry if it's worded weirdly .
Guelph VW could use a service advisor with knowledge of VWs.
Old Feb 15th 2013, 3:37 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

I think you have to have a qualification for parts, you should check that out too.
Old Feb 15th 2013, 8:47 am
DAG
Just Joined

Thanks for the replys guys.

I have never served an apprenticeship as partsmen, I just went from Junior to trainee to a parts advisor and learnt everything on the go, I have to been to some courses here in the UK with the brands, but nothing to say I've "qualified".

I put more research in to it, thanks guys.
Old Feb 15th 2013, 5:01 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

For Alberta - You don't say where you want to go:

http://tradesecrets.alberta.ca/trade...profiles/0271/

Inter provincial:

http://www.red-seal.ca/[email protected]?tid=172&tid=172
Old Feb 15th 2013, 5:08 pm
DAG
Just Joined

Thank you Piff.

I'm not to sure where I'd like to go just yet - looking more into it, but I would say, Mid-West to west, not as far Vancouver though, I don't want the exact same weather as the UK!!
Old Feb 16th 2013, 12:08 am

Originally Posted by DAG
Thank you Piff.

I'm not to sure where I'd like to go just yet - looking more into it, but I would say, Mid-West to west, not as far Vancouver though, I don't want the exact same weather as the UK!!
Lol, you say that now
Old Feb 16th 2013, 12:13 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

a colleague was telling me that up north in Alberta where he's from, parts guys are on ridiculous money, like 40-50bucks an hour, but there's not much to do up there for a single guy like yourself!