Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Here's my theory about what makes migration more likely to be successful....

View Poll Results: Do you agree with what Buzzy said about successful emigrants?
Yes, Buzzy, you have hit the nail on the head.
55.10%
No, I think the opposite.
44.90%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Here's my theory about what makes migration more likely to be successful....

Old Mar 25th 2007, 8:12 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Here's my theory about what makes migration more likely to be successful....

OK, my own personal theory.

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement?

"People who complain a lot about the UK are less likely to be successful migrants to another country, as these people are predisposed to complaining and will complain no matter where they are. Conversely, people who are positive about the UK are more likely to be positive about a country they emigrate to, and are likely to have a better migration experience."

Fingers on buzzers - all vote NOW!

Buzzy
Old Mar 25th 2007, 9:20 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Here's my theory about what makes migration more likely to be successful....

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
OK, my own personal theory.

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement?

"People who complain a lot about the UK are less likely to be successful migrants to another country, as these people are predisposed to complaining and will complain no matter where they are. Conversely, people who are positive about the UK are more likely to be positive about a country they emigrate to, and are likely to have a better migration experience."

Fingers on buzzers - all vote NOW!

Buzzy
You need another button "this is an hareng rouge".
Old Mar 25th 2007, 9:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

High numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Here's my theory about what makes migration more likely to be successful....

Originally Posted by dbd33
You need another button "this is an hareng rouge".

I agree!
Old Mar 25th 2007, 11:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond repute

Pass
Old Mar 26th 2007, 12:50 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Pass from me too, as it's too simplific a question to my mind, for something so multi-factorial.

But I do think that people who emigrate simply (or even mostly) because they want to leave the UK, as opposed to those who actually like and choose the country they want to move to, have less chance of being successful.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 12:57 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Morwenna
But I do think that people who emigrate simply (or even mostly) because they want to leave the UK, as opposed to those who actually like and choose the country they want to move to, have less chance of being successful.

Oh, I disagree. We had no idea what Canada was going to be like. Once we found out we would have gone back but we didn't have the money. Poverty made us successful immigrants and I think that is true of many immigrants; Tom Vu being the classic case.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 1:39 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Silly oversimplification Buzzy. Buzz off.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 2:02 am

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

A lot of people who complain about the UK do so not because of a predisposition towards complaining, but rather, because it's shit.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 2:05 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, I disagree. We had no idea what Canada was going to be like. Once we found out we would have gone back but we didn't have the money. Poverty made us successful immigrants and I think that is true of many immigrants; Tom Vu being the classic case.
Well you need not disagree, as I said we are only talking about likelihood of success. There always exceptions to any generality.

Actually I think many people who would have run back "home" if they'd had the chance in the earlier stages of settlement, can eventually find their way here and be glad they came ..... but I'm not sure you even fit into that "category", as you really don't seem to like it here even after all this time ..... unless you just enjoy having a good grouch about all things Canadian?

Do you really feel you have "succeeded" as an immigrant? (whatever that means) I always get the impression you'd rather be back in jolly auld England.

Even Lizwil, who has been here longer than most of us, would seem to prefer to be living back in the UK if it weren't for her family here.

I suppose it depends on your definition of "success"?
Old Mar 26th 2007, 2:27 am
Assimilated Pauper

Do you really feel you have "succeeded" as an immigrant? (whatever that means) I always get the impression you'd rather be back in jolly auld England.
Both are true. I came with no money and no education. I made money and financed the education of my children to the point that they were able to graduate debt free from university. I cost the Canadian state very little and paid a great deal in taxes. That's successful immigration. I don't think you have to have enjoyed an experience to have made a go of it.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 4:25 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Even Lizwil, who has been here longer than most of us, would seem to prefer to be living back in the UK if it weren't for her family here.
If success or failure is based simply upon the desire to be living back in the UK?

Then I have succeeded as I have no desire to live there. It is a very nice place to visit but my home is here in Calgary.

I came with nothing at 16 (1963) after leaving school in England at 15 with no GCE's or any such thing. I managed to make a decent living in a job I loved. I married a wonderful Canadian 38 years ago, we are still together and have two sons who both graduated, university and are both married with children.

So even in dbd33's terms I could be considered a success.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 4:38 am
little snowy owl

Originally Posted by Steve_P
If success or failure is based simply upon the desire to be living back in the UK?
That's what I mean, who defines what is "successful"? How can you answer the poll question?

You might be materially "successful" but not enjoy living here, You might love it here and feel right at home, but be poor as a church mouse.

I suppose most people at least would want materially enough to meet whatever their personal perceived needs and/or wants are, but that must be very variable.

My own guess is that to be a "successful" immigrant one should feel happy and settled, ie "at home" here. (as Steve quite clearly is)
Old Mar 26th 2007, 4:53 am
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

Both are true. I came with no money and no education. I made money and financed the education of my children to the point that they were able to graduate debt free from university. I cost the Canadian state very little and paid a great deal in taxes. That's successful immigration. I don't think you have to have enjoyed an experience to have made a go of it.
I've had my own doubts about Canada vs England, and as I get older I realise how true it is that you only have one life and you have to make the best of it - and be happy. I think if I was as unhappy as you seem to be with where you live, I'd definitely go back to the UK.

There's no answer to what makes immigration successful, simply because we are all so different and success for one is not success for another. Some are financially successful but miserable, others may be poor but happy.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 8:11 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

OK this is interesting.

I asked the same question in the Australia and New Zealand forums.

Both Australia and Canada have returned an exact 50/50 split of opinion. 90% of New Zealand emigrants, however, agree with my theory.

hmmmm.......

Buzzy
Old Mar 26th 2007, 8:37 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure whether the original statement has any truth in it or not but in my opinion if you have very positive views of the UK then what leads you to even consider immigration to anywhere.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.