Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Here is our story

Here is our story

Old Oct 18th 2005, 4:54 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Here is our story

Originally Posted by ginaf
I can't believe you and others are sniping at the OP when all he was trying to do was offer his opinion on IT jobs which I for one found helpful.

It annoys me when this happens as he will probably be put off posting again when this is the sort of information I look for on an Expats site.
He offered his opinion, I offered mine and I certainly didnt read your mind and find out that you found it helpful.... not that it would have altered my post one jot.

I didn't snipe as you put it, I also "offered my opinion" that many would be expats would kill to have two incomes coming in and to get PR status. Read back and check your facts before disparaging my post and the general postings on this public forum

Last edited by Tangram; Oct 18th 2005 at 4:58 pm.
Old Oct 18th 2005, 5:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Rochdale, then Toronto, then Preston now Tampa, Florida.
wildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to all

I can't believe you and others are sniping at the OP when all he was trying to do was offer his opinion on IT jobs which I for one found helpful.

It annoys me when this happens as he will probably be put off posting again when this is the sort of information I look for on an Expats site.
The whole point of this forum is to voice opinions, advice and information, when someone for want of a better word 'complains' that there struggling on two very good income's your going to get a reaction, it gives the impression Canada is expensive, when in real terms it's no worse or better than the UK, so when someone says what RSK said he's going to put a lot of people off, as the saying goes, there are always two sides to the story, don't get on your high horse if you don't like what you hear.

Mark
Old Oct 18th 2005, 5:26 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wildmark
The whole point of this forum is to voice opinions, advice and information, when someone for want of a better word 'complains' that there struggling on two very good income's your going to get a reaction, it gives the impression Canada is expensive, when in real terms it's no worse or better than the UK, so when someone says what RSK said he's going to put a lot of people off, as the saying goes, there are always two sides to the story, don't get on your high horse if you don't like what you hear.

Mark
Jeez mark, I can't believe we are on the singing from the same page on this one.... I must be having a bad day
Old Oct 18th 2005, 5:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

wildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Tangram
Jeez mark, I can't believe we are on the singing from the same page on this one.... I must be having a bad day
...No I think it's me
Old Oct 18th 2005, 5:30 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Originally Posted by wildmark
...No I think it's me
Yeah maybe you're right.
Old Oct 18th 2005, 5:39 pm
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

Hang on a moment everyone - the poster was only stating his thoughts as well. Canada is very expensive, money is not easy to come by over here! And it goes out as quickly as it comes in. Not all to do with tax (although I have to say being taxed on childrens clothes and food is quite out of order if you ask me) but Utilities are far more expensive, insurance is far more expensive, property taxes are far more expensive; and we are on cheap farm rates so I dread to think what others have to pay! Anyone who thinks Canada is cheap, can't possibly be living here.......or they have found something that I haven't.

We all have down days - and the original poster is no different from others who come here ready to make a really good go of it - eventually the realisation hits you, that if you did well in your previous country of residence, it is likely you will do less well here in Canada. As far as I can see, the only major plus side of moving to Canada from elsewhere, is that property prices are less expensive......but not a whole lot else is.
Old Oct 18th 2005, 6:19 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tiaribbon
Hang on a moment everyone - the poster was only stating his thoughts as well. Canada is very expensive, money is not easy to come by over here! And it goes out as quickly as it comes in. Not all to do with tax (although I have to say being taxed on childrens clothes and food is quite out of order if you ask me) but Utilities are far more expensive, insurance is far more expensive, property taxes are far more expensive; and we are on cheap farm rates so I dread to think what others have to pay! Anyone who thinks Canada is cheap, can't possibly be living here.......or they have found something that I haven't.

We all have down days - and the original poster is no different from others who come here ready to make a really good go of it - eventually the realisation hits you, that if you did well in your previous country of residence, it is likely you will do less well here in Canada. As far as I can see, the only major plus side of moving to Canada from elsewhere, is that property prices are less expensive......but not a whole lot else is.
Unfortunatly when you first arrive there are a lot of things that need buying / fixing up, so its no surprise to me that after 11 months there is no improvement in the OPs bank balance...most peoples would be negative I suspect, which I think Tia was hinting at!

I guess it depends where you are comparing too. In real terms I think canadian taxes are broadly similar to the UK, although in the past Ive shown they are significantly lower for middle income earners. I certainly dont think property taxes are more expensive. Taxes on my modest place are about $1600 a year at the mo, which I undertand is a lot less than the norm in the UK (What is an average figure? £100 a month?) Worth pointing out though that property taxes here are what is paying for winter snow clearance, so I guess it goes with the territory.

Comparing Canadian taxation to Singapore is like comparing apples to oranges I'm afraid, and I can see if you are used to paying 8% that giving up 25% is painful...but if you were giving up 35% before...

Last edited by iaink; Oct 18th 2005 at 7:05 pm.
Old Oct 18th 2005, 6:29 pm
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by iaink
Taxes on my modest place are about $1600 a year at the mo, which I undertand is a lot less than the norm in the UK (What is an average figure? £100 a month?)
Our property taxes for 2004 were just over $900 for the year. This year because the Farm Taxation lost our signed declaration, we were charged at Residential Property Rates and I have just paid the final amount which totalled $3,380 for this year. The Farmland Taxation people have lodged an appeal on my behalf and are fairly certain that we will receive the "over-payment" back......who knows! What I do know is that in the UK, we had a far larger and grander property, in a very expensive area and our Property Taxes were only £1,500 per year. Now okay if you use the exchange-rate translation then there is no difference really, but if you use "real-terms" then it is more than double here.

*edited for dreadful spelling*

Last edited by Tiaribbon; Oct 18th 2005 at 6:31 pm.
Old Oct 18th 2005, 6:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, we pay *approx* the same tax in MB for a 1300sq ft semi as we did for a 2000sq ft flat in Glasgow. The flat was assessed at 5 times the value of the semi, so it's a lot more expensive here in real terms.

My condo in Alberta is assessed at around twice the value of the semi in Manitoba, but tax costs me only two thirds.
Old Oct 18th 2005, 7:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

sysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Tiaribbon
Our property taxes for 2004 were just over $900 for the year. This year because the Farm Taxation lost our signed declaration, we were charged at Residential Property Rates and I have just paid the final amount which totalled $3,380 for this year. The Farmland Taxation people have lodged an appeal on my behalf and are fairly certain that we will receive the "over-payment" back......who knows! What I do know is that in the UK, we had a far larger and grander property, in a very expensive area and our Property Taxes were only £1,500 per year. Now okay if you use the exchange-rate translation then there is no difference really, but if you use "real-terms" then it is more than double here.
Our small house in Pickering is $2600/year so just over $200/month added to the house payment (assessed at $200K). Ouch! Tax on the same assessed amount in Alabama would be about $600/year so this really seems exhorbitant to me. Of course this is also why the schools down there are usually rated worst or second worst in the US since property tax is all that funds them.
Old Oct 18th 2005, 8:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by iaink
Unfortunatly when you first arrive there are a lot of things that need buying / fixing up, so its no surprise to me that after 11 months there is no improvement in the OPs bank balance...most peoples would be negative I suspect, which I think Tia was hinting at!

I guess it depends where you are comparing too. In real terms I think canadian taxes are broadly similar to the UK, although in the past Ive shown they are significantly lower for middle income earners. I certainly dont think property taxes are more expensive. Taxes on my modest place are about $1600 a year at the mo, which I undertand is a lot less than the norm in the UK (What is an average figure? £100 a month?) Worth pointing out though that property taxes here are what is paying for winter snow clearance, so I guess it goes with the territory.

Comparing Canadian taxation to Singapore is like comparing apples to oranges I'm afraid, and I can see if you are used to paying 8% that giving up 25% is painful...but if you were giving up 35% before...

Totally agree, when I moved from the Uk to Canada in 1992 I drove a 7 series BMW, nice house - no mortgage, it took me 3 years in Canda to get back up to that level, when I came back to the UK, again the first couple of years were hardish, I think you have to give it 2-3 years.

Mark

Mark
Old Oct 19th 2005, 12:59 am
Forum Regular

Gail will become famous soon enoughGail will become famous soon enough

I totally agree that the first couple of years are expensive and leave a large hole in the equity that the lucky ones of us are able to bring over.

If you bring money with you it seems that you will have a pretty good standard of living. Unfortunately house prices have gone up a lot so if you don't have a lot to bring with you and don't have a better paid than average job you probably won't be any better off than in the UK.

We pay a lot more for car insurance, house insurance, utilities and especially property tax ($5000). My grocery bill is slightly more expensive over here, but admittedly I did save a lot in England using tesco.com.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 1:58 am
RSK
Forum Regular

RSK is on a distinguished road

Hi

As far as I know Java & C++ skills shoudl be marketable very easily during this time. Most of the companies go through head hunters so it is very important that you get a head hunter who really works to find a job for you. Most of the head hunters will get all fired up when you send your resume and then kinda forget abt it. Mt wife found 2 head hunters in Toonto who really worked to get her interviews. You shoudl talk to them everyday abt any possible positions. Unfortuntely I or my wife do not have any contacts in London ON. But I am giving you 2 names in Toronto who might be able to help you. One head hunters name is Soul Corakis and she worls for CNC global. Just call CNC global at 416.962.9262 and ask for her. The other contact is Lisa Titian at Datalist Inc. Her number is 416.483.7424. Hope this helps. Good luck in your job search.

Cheers
rsk

Hi RSK, your post is really interesting.

My husband is a Systems Analyst (Java, C++) in the Banking sector (London) but works as a contractor for the financial benefits. We have all but given up on going to Toronto/Canada as we believed the market there to be so flat for this type of work, so I am pretty surprised that you say it is so hot as we seem to be getting nowhere with even finding out about jobs which leads us to believe that there are none. It seemed to us that all of the "hot" IT jobs were in manufacturing, SAP and JD Edwards which doesn't apply to us, we just can't take the risk of going out there with a young family that we can't support even though my heart was set on it. Do you or your wife have any impressions on what the market is like in this area or any contacts (please!)?

Ironically we were thinking of playing the Canada visa waiting game in Singapore for a couple of years. It is looking very likely that we will head to Sydney next year if we can't find any more positive info on the job front.

Good luck to you and I hope it works out.

ginaf
Old Oct 19th 2005, 2:11 am
RSK
Forum Regular

RSK is on a distinguished road

Thanks all for the responses. Like someone said I think I need to give it another 2 yrs to completely settle down.

My intention of posting is not to whine but to tell the forum abt our job hunting experience. I hope that helped atleast one person. I did not post to get sympathy from anyone. I just posted what I felt and I dont thisnk there is anything wrong in it. I am feeling this because I am not from UK but Singapore. If I had been from UK then my perspective abt this tax thing would be completely diferent. I did not come here to make tons of money coz I know that this country is not for that. But that does not mean that I shoudl not expect a decent bank balance. I did not say that I am struggling. I am just saying that for the income I have I dont see anleftopver at the end of the month. And my wife stated working only abt a week ago so for the past 1 months its only my income. Finally if anyone thinks that Toronto is cheap , pls think again.The 15% pst+gst you pay on everything will really kill you.

Cheers
rsk
Old Oct 19th 2005, 3:06 am
Deep in the red C.

Iginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RSK
My intention of posting is not to whine but to tell the forum abt our job hunting experience. I hope that helped atleast one person. I did not post to get sympathy from anyone. I just posted what I felt and I dont thisnk there is anything wrong in it. I am feeling this because I am not from UK but Singapore. If I had been from UK then my perspective abt this tax thing would be completely diferent. I did not come here to make tons of money coz I know that this country is not for that. But that does not mean that I shoudl not expect a decent bank balance. I did not say that I am struggling. I am just saying that for the income I have I dont see anleftopver at the end of the month. And my wife stated working only abt a week ago so for the past 1 months its only my income. Finally if anyone thinks that Toronto is cheap , pls think again.The 15% pst+gst you pay on everything will really kill you.

Cheers
rsk
And I wasn't posting to slate you.

I was genuinely confused how a couple (?kids) could have 2 well paid jobs and be breaking even at the end of the month. Hence my question: what are your outgoings?

Things are a tad clearer now you tell us that your wife only started working recently. At least you know that you can make it on one wage and the second is bonus money.

As Iain said it takes time to break even. The first year is basically getting set up and organised. This costs money.

We had the chance recently to move to Toronto. Went there for the interview and to be honest our mind was made up on the taxi ride from the airport to the hotel. Personally, we came to Canada for space and decreased population density. To move to Toronto was a move sidewards for us.

Toronto, like any major city on the globe is more expensive than it's neighbouring smaller cities. It's a negative feedback loop IMO, people think it must be good cuz everyone else is there.

Also, forget the PST. I live in Alberta. We stayed in Ottawa a while back in one of them kitchenette hotel thingies. Done basic shoppping and there was no difference (IMO) in prices AFTER both taxes had been added. Same as eating out. Alberta (IMO) makes you feel good that there is no PST. That's it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.