Here at last!

Old Aug 12th 2005, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

Quinn of Québec has a brilliant futureQuinn of Québec has a brilliant futureQuinn of Québec has a brilliant futureQuinn of Québec has a brilliant futureQuinn of Québec has a brilliant futureQuinn of Québec has a brilliant futureQuinn of Québec has a brilliant future
Default Here at last!

just a quick mesage to say that I have been in Canada as a permament resident since the 27th of july - AND I LOVE IT!!!!!!!

this is the first chance to get online and post

have a warning tale to tell though - more later when i'm more awake.
Old Aug 13th 2005, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

Scoobsta is a jewel in the roughScoobsta is a jewel in the roughScoobsta is a jewel in the roughScoobsta is a jewel in the roughScoobsta is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Here at last!

hope all goes well from now on .... hurry up with that warning tale of yours mate!!!
Old Aug 14th 2005, 8:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Quinn of Québec
just a quick mesage to say that I have been in Canada as a permament resident since the 27th of july - AND I LOVE IT!!!!!!!

The suspense is killing us all - what is the warning ??
Old Aug 14th 2005, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Patsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to all

are u awake yet?
Old Aug 14th 2005, 10:28 am
keep checking....

mhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Patsy
are u awake yet?
Glad to hear things are moving along.

But wake up all BE is biting their nails to hear your warning
Old Aug 14th 2005, 10:31 am
jedi in training

buzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of light

Please please please what is the warning...........ive turned to drink waiting
Old Aug 14th 2005, 3:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats!
Old Aug 14th 2005, 6:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

CalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to all

... have a warning tale to tell though - more later when i'm more awake.
Don't tell us you've just realised that they speak french out there?
Old Aug 14th 2005, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

Quinn of Québec has a brilliant futureQuinn of Québec has a brilliant futureQuinn of Québec has a brilliant futureQuinn of Québec has a brilliant futureQuinn of Québec has a brilliant futureQuinn of Québec has a brilliant futureQuinn of Québec has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by CalgaryBlade
Don't tell us you've just realised that they speak french out there?
EXACTLY! - why didn't someone tell me?

Just kidding!

Hello again,

sorry to keep you all in suspenders.

Before leaving the UK I contacted the Canadian immigratin service and asked them if it was possible to land at smaller airports and still have my landing processed just the same.

I asked this as it would be better for me to Land at Quebec City airport than the much larger montreal airport.

They told me that it would be ok as they still had agents there.

So I booked a flight direct from Gatwick to Quebec city. It was a fantastic flight with Canadian Affair/Thomas Cook.

At the airport I was greeted by an immigration agent who was so young looking that she looked as if she should have been in one of the year 10 classes I teach. Right from the start I lacked confidence in her competance.

She examined my passport/visa and took my confirmation of permenant residence ("COPR") form. At this point I asked her if I should have some part or copy of the "COPR" as proof of my landing - she said no! Intuitively this seemed wrong to me but she insisted that she knew what she was doing. Despite this I insisted that she at least made me a photocopy for me (thank God I did this).

Anyway to cut a long story short - she should have given me carbon copy 3 (there are 4 in total). Without this I was initially unable to get anything -- health insurance, driving licence, Social Security number etc.

On top of it all she later claimed she had given it to me!! This was later exposed as false when I managed to get the whole thing investigated.

Eventually the missing copy which had temporarliy dissapeared from the system turned up and now I had it.

Basically if you want to avoid massive stress DON'T LEAVE TE AIRPORT WITHOUT COPY 3 OF YOUR COPR.

No doubt if i had gone to the busier international airport of montreal where they are more used to processing immigrants this would not have happened.

I have since been advised to complain - was a bit of a nightmare.

That said, evrything has worked out ok and now I'm having a great time.

The other morning I was having breakfast outside whilst in the laurentian mountains and had a close encounter wth 2 wild dear who also decided to dine - magical!

Now that I am here I realise that it was 100% the right thing for me to do to move here.

So happy!

Bit daunted by my upcoming first day at my job on the 25th but am sure it will be fine.

Love Quebec, love Canada and love my new life.

For those of you waiting to make the move . . . be encouraged; you'll love it!

Best wishes

M
Old Aug 15th 2005, 12:04 am
Invisi... K

ksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond repute

EXACTLY! - why didn't someone tell me?...
M
congratulations... at least you've had a lovely summer to contend with!

all the best... here's to winter!
Old Aug 15th 2005, 1:05 am
BE Enthusiast

orazone is on a distinguished road

as long as you are having fun, its all fine. Enjoy your time there and best of luck.
Old Aug 15th 2005, 8:46 am
MCC
Forum Regular

MCC is an unknown quantity at this point

Basically if you want to avoid massive stress DON'T LEAVE TE AIRPORT WITHOUT COPY 3 OF YOUR COPR.

M

Congratulations

Thanks for the tip! We're leaving 3 weeks today!

Are you staying in Quebec city then? Where? That makes me feel homesick! We'll be visiting in 3 and a half weeks!

All the best and Bonne chance!

MCC
Old Aug 15th 2005, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MCC
Are you staying in Quebec city then?
MCC
Yep based in Quebec City for the next few weekd and then relocating to the laurentians.

It's so sunny this summer - am off canoeing today just like 'Quinn the eskimo' in my pic/avatar.

M
Old Aug 16th 2005, 12:23 am
keep checking....

mhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to all

Yep based in Quebec City for the next few weekd and then relocating to the laurentians.

It's so sunny this summer - am off canoeing today just like 'Quinn the eskimo' in my pic/avatar.

M
Glad your living up to your avatar my friend.