Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Hepititus B Jab

Hepititus B Jab

Old Jul 17th 2008, 6:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Canada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud of
Default Hepititus B Jab

hello and good evening

our doctor has said to us that it might be a good idea to get our daughter to have the Hep B jab, before we go over, has anyone else had this advice
Old Jul 17th 2008, 7:14 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hepititus B Jab

Originally Posted by Canada Dreams
hello and good evening

our doctor has said to us that it might be a good idea to get our daughter to have the Hep B jab, before we go over, has anyone else had this advice
No.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 7:16 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

seems a bit strange advice from the GP to me
Old Jul 17th 2008, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

snowhugs has much to be proud ofsnowhugs has much to be proud ofsnowhugs has much to be proud ofsnowhugs has much to be proud ofsnowhugs has much to be proud ofsnowhugs has much to be proud ofsnowhugs has much to be proud ofsnowhugs has much to be proud ofsnowhugs has much to be proud ofsnowhugs has much to be proud ofsnowhugs has much to be proud of

hi
I find this very unusual, was he charging for it ?

In the UK as far as I am aware it is given to health care workers, drug addicts immunosupressed patients or anyone likely to do anything with blood products.

How old is your daughter? is she otherwise well? if so get a second opinion!

nhs direct has good website, and health info worth a try its confidential too!

Hepatitis B page on NHS Direct
Old Jul 17th 2008, 7:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Canada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud of

hi

our daughter will be 4 in august and in in fine health, it was just what they said would be a good idea, im not sure will call nhs direct
Old Jul 17th 2008, 7:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

It is on the Canadian immunisation schedule but we're not giving it to ours as he's at no risk of contracting Hep B, I don't see the point.

We did give him the BCG as a toddler before leaving the UK on account of high TB levels in and around Winnipeg. This was free, we'd declined it at birth, but it was easy enough to arrange after.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 7:48 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Heres a cut and paste job from the local heath unit;

Vaccines provided at no cost by the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care for Ontario for eligible individuals are:

Diphtheria, Pertussis (Whooping Cough), Tetanus, Polio, and Haemophilus Influenzae Type B (Hib)
Measles, Mumps, Rubella (German Measles)
Tetanus, Diphtheria, Polio
Tetanus, Diphtheria
Hepatitis B vaccine for Grade 7 students and people of all ages at high risk of hepatitis B
Pneumococcal vaccine
Influenza vaccine
Meningococcal vaccine
Chickenpox vaccine
Grade 7 is 13 years old(ish) so for a 4 year old its overkill.

When we went on our carribean cruise we had all sorts of shots ($600 worth for 4 of us) The kids (2 and 5) had hep A, but not B for the same reason biiiink said.

Last edited by iaink; Jul 17th 2008 at 7:55 pm.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 8:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

thank you i did not think this was required, may giv eit a miss
Old Jul 19th 2008, 3:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

our daughter given it when n grade 7 ,foc.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 7:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

tallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to behold

Just to divert a little my 1 year old is having his MMR this week which I am fine with. However they also say he should have chicken pox and meningococcus. My other two didn't have these. I'm going to say no to the chicken pox but not sure about the other, any thoughts?
Old Jul 19th 2008, 7:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

new one on us were not sure about that ???????????????????????
Old Jul 19th 2008, 8:56 pm
Nova Scotia

Bellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Hepititus B Jab

Hi there, I'm a nurse in a Doctors Surgery, when we were going to NS 2 weeks ago I asked this same question about vaccinations and the advice was provided we were all up to date with our tetanus jab that was enough I did have my Hep B only because it was due for my work, but other than that we didn't need anything else.
The other thing you may find interesting is that you can't give blood for a set time after going to Canada I think if my memory serves me correctly its about 6 weeks, but don't quote me on it, but I know that they def have rules about it, it's because of the West Nile Virus that you can catch in Canada, it's very rare, but a threat all the same, so make sure you use a really good quality bug spray and watch out for the Black Fly they are horrible I got bitten 3 weeks ago and its still giving me grief now!! Hope this helps
Bella
xx
Old Jul 19th 2008, 9:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tallperson
Just to divert a little my 1 year old is having his MMR this week which I am fine with. However they also say he should have chicken pox and meningococcus. My other two didn't have these. I'm going to say no to the chicken pox but not sure about the other, any thoughts?
Men C is routine for infants in the UK. They're always doing catch-up vaccinations at universities, I think that age group is high risk for it too.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 9:14 pm
Nova Scotia

Bellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah your right about the Men C, think the Hep B is a little overkill though unless you really do need it. xx
Old Jul 20th 2008, 7:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

after reading the above comments, i dont think we will bother, would like some advice on a good bug spray, and some idea of what to stick in the garden to help this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.