Reload this Page >

Help - work visas, proof I'll leave

Help - work visas, proof I'll leave

Old Oct 30th 2002, 5:34 am
Account Closed

Closed Acc 009 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Help - work visas, proof I'll leave

Hi,

I've got a question regading proofs and work visas. I'm applying for a job in Quebec - we have the offer and are confident of getting a CAQ soon.

There's some time pressure involved... so I'm trying to sort out the CIC side as much as I can while we wait.

One thing I noticed is that CIC asks you to prove that you will "leave the country on the expiry of a visa". That strikes me as being pretty hard to prove. If you have no record of entering and leaving Canada, how can you prove something like that? Relying on a completely speculative opinion like that is disturbing to see... but anyway...

I have a little bit of a problem. I've been a fairly regular visitor to Canada in the last four years... in fact I've spent most of my time there, as a visitor.

Most of the time I've left and entered in accordance with my visa and the wishes of CIC. But on one occasion a few years ago I applied for a visitor's visa extension - the rejection letter was issued but lost in the mail, and I never got it. By the time I got worried about the delay in response and called to enquire, I was on overstay. CIC, in a (typical) overhanded manner, sent the police around to arrest me and take me to detention for a few days until a judge released me on my own recognisance.

It took a year but I finally got the automatic deportation commuted to a departure order.

What I'm worried about is how much this will count against me when CIC gets my work visa application. Every time I've known I've had to leave, I have. The judge at the hearing recognised that and that's why I was let out on my own recognisance while we appealed the deportation order on the overstay. However I have few hopes that CIC officials will be as understanding.

Essentially what I need is input on what type of things I can present with my work visa application to prove I will return when the visa expires. What things do the officers consider as valid proof?

Should I mention the overstay? Should I point out all my family lives in my home country? Bank accounts? I need to make a convincing case here, so any input would be much appreciated.