Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Help - wasp nest in wall cavity, arrrgh!

Help - wasp nest in wall cavity, arrrgh!

Old Aug 17th 2009, 12:50 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Help - wasp nest in wall cavity, arrrgh!

Been hearing a purring in one of the bedrooms for a few weeks now, thought I was just going slightly mad.....

Then we found a tiny baby wasp inside today and we hadn't had the doors or windows open long enough for one to get in....

So I went back to where I'd heard the purring, put my ear to the wall and BUZZING

Went outside to see if I could see where they are getting in and sure enough, there's a hole and a steady stream of them going in and out....

The problem is, our landlord is away on holiday at the moment and we're not sure if we should just wait or try and deal with it now. Worried that if we try and treat the hole ourselves they might decide to come out via their alternate exit into the house - the source of which we're yet to find!

If we call out a professional, they might want to do something drastic like drill into the wall where they are - would need the landlords permission for that I presume?

Not looking forward to bed tonight, I hate the little things, will be having nightmares!
Old Aug 17th 2009, 12:56 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help - wasp nest in wall cavity, arrrgh!

Originally Posted by G77
Been hearing a purring in one of the bedrooms for a few weeks now, thought I was just going slightly mad.....

Then we found a tiny baby wasp inside today and we hadn't had the doors or windows open long enough for one to get in....

So I went back to where I'd heard the purring, put my ear to the wall and BUZZING

Went outside to see if I could see where they are getting in and sure enough, there's a hole and a steady stream of them going in and out....

The problem is, our landlord is away on holiday at the moment and we're not sure if we should just wait or try and deal with it now. Worried that if we try and treat the hole ourselves they might decide to come out via their alternate exit into the house - the source of which we're yet to find!

If we call out a professional, they might want to do something drastic like drill into the wall where they are - would need the landlords permission for that I presume?

Not looking forward to bed tonight, I hate the little things, will be having nightmares!
Things like this are my worst nightmare. In the US I have a contract with Terminex. Can you fog the house...including basement and loft? Make sure you turn off any flames ie furnace. If you don't want to wait for your landlord's return it may be best to contact an exterminator.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 12:58 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Things like this are my worst nightmare. In the US I have a contract with Terminex. Can you fog the house...including basement and loft? Make sure you turn off any flames ie furnace. If you don't want to wait for your landlord's return it may be best to contact an exterminator.
Not really, I work from home, plus it wouldn't necessarily get right inside the cavity where they are....
Old Aug 17th 2009, 1:04 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
Not really, I work from home, plus it wouldn't necessarily get right inside the cavity where they are....
So you need to call the professionals...unless you want to wait for your landlords return.

TBH it wouldn't bother my husband...but it would freak me out.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 1:11 am
Forum Regular

kazchug is just really nicekazchug is just really nicekazchug is just really nicekazchug is just really nicekazchug is just really nicekazchug is just really nicekazchug is just really nicekazchug is just really nicekazchug is just really nice

My husband is in pest control and says you need to call in the experts don't try and tackle it yourself. He would help but we live to far away, good luck.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 1:17 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kazchug
My husband is in pest control and says you need to call in the experts don't try and tackle it yourself. He would help but we live to far away, good luck.
What would his course of action be? Will they need to be destructive i.e. knock through into the cavity?
Old Aug 17th 2009, 1:36 am
Forum Regular

kazchug is just really nicekazchug is just really nicekazchug is just really nicekazchug is just really nicekazchug is just really nicekazchug is just really nicekazchug is just really nicekazchug is just really nicekazchug is just really nice

Probably not they use a residual that attracts them and kills them quick. Do you want our phone number for a chat.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 1:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Fog the house? That's the nuclear option, JG. If the exterior entry hole to the nest is accessible, a good heavy spray with a quick-knockdown insecticide should do the trick. AFAIK the walls would only need to be opened if the insects are honeybees and have created honeycombs in the walls. Letting a pro look at the situation is a good idea. You might have a small infestation, but it could be large and that could be dangerous to take on yourself without proper protective equipment.

FWIW when I was a teenager, we had a yellowjacket infestation in a wall cavity. The exerminator we called simply sprayed through the entry hole and the problem was solved.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 1:42 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for the advice - managed to get hold of our landlord, he doesn't go away till Weds... He's coming to take a look tomorrow, hopefully he'll decide to get it done professionally and not attempt it himself....
Old Aug 17th 2009, 1:57 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Bill_S
Fog the house? That's the nuclear option, JG. If the exterior entry hole to the nest is accessible, a good heavy spray with a quick-knockdown insecticide should do the trick. AFAIK the walls would only need to be opened if the insects are honeybees and have created honeycombs in the walls. Letting a pro look at the situation is a good idea. You might have a small infestation, but it could be large and that could be dangerous to take on yourself without proper protective equipment.

FWIW when I was a teenager, we had a yellowjacket infestation in a wall cavity. The exerminator we called simply sprayed through the entry hole and the problem was solved.
Nuclear...PMSL...I know but I'm paranoid about North American bugs.

I agree it could be something and nothing...but on the otherhand it could be a large nest...or honeybees that's why I suggested the OP contact a pro.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 7:13 am
Forum Regular

Jukeboxwidow has a reputation beyond reputeJukeboxwidow has a reputation beyond reputeJukeboxwidow has a reputation beyond reputeJukeboxwidow has a reputation beyond reputeJukeboxwidow has a reputation beyond reputeJukeboxwidow has a reputation beyond reputeJukeboxwidow has a reputation beyond reputeJukeboxwidow has a reputation beyond reputeJukeboxwidow has a reputation beyond reputeJukeboxwidow has a reputation beyond reputeJukeboxwidow has a reputation beyond repute

my worst nightmare, I hope you get is sorted asap!
Old Aug 17th 2009, 7:23 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Hate the little blighters, also allergic to them SO If i was in your place I'd be insisiting the LL was there YESTERDAY
Old Aug 17th 2009, 1:13 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

Didn't have a great night's sleep knowing that there could be several thousand of them just a few feet away from the bed in the wall - only comfort was that they go to sleep at night and stop buzzing... Though they do make a purring noise from time to time - apparently they flap their wings to ventilate the nest.... If it's loud enough to sound like there's a cat trapped in the wall, then there must be at least several hundred in there
Old Aug 17th 2009, 1:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

Oh! what a drama! Very common though, I wouldnt be too concerned, if the landlord cant deal with it then what about your insurance? Does it cover you?
It is usually a very straight forward process (in the UK) the typical treatment for this is to coat the entrance with a poison which the insect picks up and takes back to the hive/nest, usually two treatments over 72hrs does the trick leave it for a further 5 days then cover the entrance area (if you cannot due to ventilation then you can also use a mosquito type net)
Do not get close to the entrance as they usually become aggressive when you poke things at them! Use a long pole that reaches the target area whilst keeping you at a distance, also some suggest carrying out this late in the evening when the temperature has dropped. Off course these insects have a season and it may be better to wait until they are out of season then carryout the necessary treatment. Finally I would also suggest that I would get a profesional in and then let them know you have a very good idea of what your on about! So they dont get carried away and relocate your house 100 miles away!
Old Aug 17th 2009, 1:45 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

They are becoming agressive near to the nest hole - which is unfortunately right next to the pool!

I won't be attempting it myself - terrified of one, nevermind thousands of them!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.