Reload this Page >

Help - things happening quickly

Help - things happening quickly

Old Oct 8th 2008, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

nikkim will become famous soon enoughnikkim will become famous soon enough
Default Help - things happening quickly

Hi
Have just had email from hubbys employer who had previously applied for an LMO and are now just getting it changed to my husbands name. We are then applying for a twp so will be going a little quicker than via PNP which was our original route.

My question is where do we start. We are planning to rent the house, so should we start that process now? and what about shipping our stuff. Should we arrange for that to all be sent asap.

One last question. My hubby is a car mechanic. he obviously needs tools so is it better to ship those separately via air so that we make sure they are there when we get there. I know we will risk paying duty but he cannot work without these.

Sorry for so many questions, just starting to panic a little now.

Thanks

Nikki
Old Oct 8th 2008, 8:50 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help - things happening quickly

Originally Posted by nikkim
Have just had email from hubbys employer who had previously applied for an LMO and are now just getting it changed to my husbands name.
Sorry, I don't understand what you mean when you say that the employer had previously applied for an LMO and now are getting it changed to your husband's name. Do you mean that they had applied for an LMO with a different prospective employee in mind? If that is the case, I am not familiar with the procedure that they have to go through.

My question is where do we start. We are planning to rent the house, so should we start that process now? and what about shipping our stuff. Should we arrange for that to all be sent asap.
My suggestion is that you do nothing until the prospective employer has received an LMO. I feel it's just too risky without an LMO in hand.

It could take two or three months for the LMO to come through. There was a time, not so long ago, when LMOs in some provinces were taking six to eight months to come through.

More recently I've seen posts on this forum that have suggested that the waiting time has been reduced to the 2 - 3 month range.

Still, I wouldn't incur major expenses until my prospective employer had received an LMO.

My hubby is a car mechanic. he obviously needs tools so is it better to ship those separately via air so that we make sure they are there when we get there. I know we will risk paying duty but he cannot work without these.
Yes, if your husband needs his tools for work, you basically need to ship them by air. If you ship them by sea, it could be six weeks (and very possibly more than that) before you see them again.

I don't know about the rules for people who are entering Canada on temporary work permits. I know that people who are entering Canada as permanent residents are supposed to arrive in Canada before their shipment of goods. If the goods arrive in Canada before their owners (in the case of new settlers arriving on PR visas), the goods have to be kept in a bonded warehouse until their owners reach Canada and clear them through customs. Some moving companies provide bonded storage for an extra fee.

Hope that helps.
x
Old Oct 8th 2008, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

nikkim will become famous soon enoughnikkim will become famous soon enough

Thanks Judy.
Yes, they had previously applied for an LMO for someone else. When I spoke to immigration, the lady said that it is a really straightforward, quick process to get the name changed on the LMO.

I will wait until the LMO is approved.

Thanks

Nikki
Old Oct 9th 2008, 5:09 am

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

Nikki

We came into alberta with boxes to follow, all with hubbys work tools in
Yeah they opened a box, but they checked the one with house stuff in LOL

I know a couple, they advise that they brought his tools in, same trade as your hubby and they didnt pay anything and his tools was in his toold box.
Make sure you list all your goods as used

Hope that helps