Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Help with a shipping question - is this right???

Help with a shipping question - is this right???

Old Jun 8th 2011, 7:15 pm
So near yet so far.......

Rubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant future
Question Help with a shipping question - is this right???

Hi

I've just had a shipping company round for a quote and they told me that Canada won't accept shipped goods unless it has been packed by the removers themselves and put in their branded boxes.

He also said that anything we already have packed (because we are currently living in rented) will have to be unpacked and repacked by them.

I'm sure I've heard of people packing their own goods - is this man right or is he pulling a fast one!?!
Old Jun 8th 2011, 7:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

GC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with a shipping question - is this right???

Just out of curiosity, which company was it?
You have heard of people diy packing. I'm sure one will be along very soon to confirm.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 7:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Deeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to all

Hi,

I have been making tentative enquiries; we have sold our house but no news from VO, so likely we will be moving to a rented house.

The Moving Partnership informed me that we were ok to pack our own, however the men might need to look depending on the level of insurance purchased. Basic package they wouldn't bother but any other cover they would need to verify the condition of goods not packed by themselves.

They also said we could use any packaging but did advise us to use double walled boxes and also said some stuff ( can't remember what now) should have special bubble wrap for the conditions in the container.

They did send me a link to buy packing stuff but we are no under no obligation to buy from it.

Good Luck with your move.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 7:58 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

We packed our own! No problems at all
Old Jun 8th 2011, 8:07 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rubie
Hi

I've just had a shipping company round for a quote and they told me that Canada won't accept shipped goods unless it has been packed by the removers themselves and put in their branded boxes.
They lied.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 8:13 pm
Don't call me MOM!!

snowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of light

Hi, we also had a large number of packing boxes in our rented house packed by ourselves when we sold our previous property.

We had a full packing service as part of relocation package. Every company that came around to quote told us their packers would have to unpack and repack themselves as wouldn't be accepted in our boxes at customs or covered by the insurance. We basically took out anything breakable for them to pack and left the rest in the original boxes for them to repack. On the day they just put our boxes into their own larger ones. In fact as the time grew closer to the container turning up they just left them in the original boxes (complete with our 7 year old's drawings scribbled all over them) and stuck their export stickers on. (this was PSS)

Have read that lots of people do pack themselves no probs.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 8:49 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
They lied.
^^^ What he said.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 9:35 pm
So near yet so far.......

Rubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant future

hhmmmm

Thanks all - for those that want to know, it was Whites. Not sure I'm allowed to say that but I just did
Old Jun 8th 2011, 9:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond repute

we packed some goods but were asked not to seal the boxes until the removers checked the contents. They packed the rest for us.
I agree they lied to you.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 10:50 pm
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough

w.r.t branded boxes, what they probably meant is, if they are in their branded boxes there is a reduced chance of them being inspected by customs. Hear me out on this one. If customs look within a container and see a mixture of boxes that may not be sealed completly they might choose to unload and inspect every box.

When the packers did our goods they were sealing every edge (corner to corner) of each box with white tape....which I thought was over the top but they explained why. They also said as part of their training they were told that the shipment should look the same where possible so you can see if it has been tampered with.

Anyway thats my 2p worth
Old Jun 9th 2011, 3:24 am
Forum Regular

nige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant future

Hi,
We used the moving partnership, with Britannia Removals doing our actual move from the UK.

The company were first class. We packed everything apart from the main items of furniture ourselves and they didn't ask for it to be opened as we had listed the items inside each box for the Goods to Follow List.

We had no problems on arrival in Canada, with not one single item of damage, considering we had a full container!

Nige
Old Jun 9th 2011, 11:24 am
Just Joined

jaguar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping costs

Guys, interesting article but can anyone give an idea of what the costs are? I have a car I want to ship out and as it is over 14 years old, it is ok to do that. I have heard many things such as you pay for a container and then you can fill it, doesnt matter what you want to put in it, etc? Is there a website that deals in shipping that could be consulted as I am finding it difficult to locate guidance on this one!

Thanks
Old Jun 9th 2011, 11:40 am
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Shipping costs

Originally Posted by jaguar
Guys, interesting article but can anyone give an idea of what the costs are? I have a car I want to ship out and as it is over 14 years old, it is ok to do that. I have heard many things such as you pay for a container and then you can fill it, doesnt matter what you want to put in it, etc? Is there a website that deals in shipping that could be consulted as I am finding it difficult to locate guidance on this one!

Thanks
See here for details on importing cars:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...f5048-eng.html
Old Jun 9th 2011, 11:45 am
BE Enthusiast

dgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping costs

Agreed that they lied. It probably is the case, anecdotaly, that, if you have a well known remover do your packing for you, customs seem less likely to bother checking the contents of your container as they assume the remover made sure you didn't ship anything problematic.