Reload this Page >

Help - shipping dry food goods

Wikiposts

Help - shipping dry food goods

Old Jun 6th 2007, 5:18 am
Account Closed

BC Hopefuls is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help - shipping dry food goods

Oh, the stress of it all......shippers are coming on Monday.

I have bought 4 bix boxes of tea bags to take with us but now I am worried that they may not be allowed. I've also packed 2 large jars of marmite!! (Sorry, I don't mean to start te Marmite debate again!)

We've got a 40' container so I may as well fill it. Am I allowed to take this?

Also can I take other dried food that won't spoil on the journey? Pasta, flour, pulses etc? I just don't want to throw it all away.

Stressed of brighton
Old Jun 6th 2007, 5:27 am
Suzy Q

Suzyanne has much to be proud ofSuzyanne has much to be proud ofSuzyanne has much to be proud ofSuzyanne has much to be proud ofSuzyanne has much to be proud ofSuzyanne has much to be proud ofSuzyanne has much to be proud ofSuzyanne has much to be proud ofSuzyanne has much to be proud ofSuzyanne has much to be proud ofSuzyanne has much to be proud of
Default Re: Help - shipping dry food goods

I have just asked our removals who also come on Monday about Teabags and they said it's ok, not sure about the other stuff.

Suzyanne
Old Jun 6th 2007, 5:29 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Suzyanne
I have just asked our removals who also come on Monday about Teabags and they said it's ok, not sure about the other stuff.

Suzyanne
Thanks, I'm gonna need a good strong brew after all this. I can't stand Orange Peko tea, and I'm not yet a die hard coffee drinker, but i am sure that will change!
Old Jun 6th 2007, 5:37 am
BE Enthusiast

NovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really nice

We went into the Post Office before we left the UK and asked if it would be alright to send Tea Bags through the post and they said that it was!

I posted two boxes of PG Tips to the B&B in Halifax, where we will be staying for the first month and she got them ok!

Mind you, I don't think I'll tell you how much the postage was!
Old Jun 6th 2007, 5:43 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by NovaBoy
We went into the Post Office before we left the UK and asked if it would be alright to send Tea Bags through the post and they said that it was!

I posted two boxes of PG Tips to the B&B in Halifax, where we will be staying for the first month and she got them ok!

Mind you, I don't think I'll tell you how much the postage was!
It was shocking enough pay £15 in one go a Tescos for 1000 teabags let alone postage on top. I knew those Tesco vouchers would come in handy for something, now what can I spend the rest on?
Old Jun 6th 2007, 6:35 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

I took over some food in my container - English mustard, Bisto gravy Granules, various chutney - all fine on arrival. You can buy tetley teabags at the supermarket here in NS.
Old Jun 6th 2007, 6:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Robski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud of

The Tetley branded tea i have seen for sale in Canada is the Orange Pekoe stuff though

I have been to Costco and stocked up on tea bags and marmite too. Planning to add some Galaxy and Branston Pickle to the stash too.
Old Jun 6th 2007, 7:02 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Get Tetley teabags at Atlantic Superstore which I believe is also Loblaws.

They also sell Yorkshire puddings, mint sauce and tinned Ambrosia custard (thank goodness, I just can't make nice custard)
Old Jun 6th 2007, 7:12 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do
Get Tetley teabags at Atlantic Superstore which I believe is also Loblaws.

They also sell Yorkshire puddings, mint sauce and tinned Ambrosia custard (thank goodness, I just can't make nice custard)
We're moving to the back of beyond so shopping options very limited! I think there is an IGA store in the village
Old Jun 6th 2007, 10:49 am
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

Just don't try to bring in ANY meat products.
All EU (not just UK) meats are banned for entry into Canada.

Most everything else is OK.
Old Jun 6th 2007, 10:52 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by MB-Realtor
Just don't try to bring in ANY meat products.
All EU (not just UK) meats are banned for entry into Canada.

Most everything else is OK.

Yeah, thanks. I would only bring dried or canned stuff.
Old Jun 6th 2007, 11:55 am
BE Enthusiast

wizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud of

Orange Pekoe isn't a specific regional tea, it's a generic description for black tea. That black tea can come from various different countries. If you look at the UK tetley website they say that the three main regional teas in their blend are assam, african and ceylon. Those are all orange pekoe teas it's just that in the UK you don't need to say it because if something says tea then it is presumed to be black tea unless it says something else. The Tetley Canada website doesn't specify which regional teas they use in their regular blend, they just list all the orange pekoe producing countries which include countries containing the assam, ceylon etc. regions.
You can buy a lot of UK blended teas in Canada from companies like Twinnings and taylors of harrogate etc. where the blends are the same as in the UK and you can narrow it down to specific regions like Ceylon and Assam which taste very similar to a generic UK "tea". Also the blends like English Breakfast or Scottish Breakfast etc. are very similar to a regular UK blend.
Of the teas I have bought recently I have found the Twinnings Ceylon to taste the most familiar.

Drew
Old Jun 6th 2007, 12:42 pm
Woohoo! PR :D

SkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of light

You don't need to bring teabags You can get proper British breakfast stand your spoon in it teabags in all the supermarkets here. Even our really small local supermarket sells PGTips (just bought a box 30 minutes ago!), and you can get Typhoo in Safeways.

Your only problem is getting a decent cuppa when you go out. I still haven't found one. If they have the right teabags they go and sticker coffee creamer in it

You can also buy Marmite when you run out but you have to go to those little British food shops and pay an arm & a leg. Or you can get a relative to buy the sachets in Tesco and post them over - my sister just sent me some and wrote the truth on the customs label and it arrived fine.
Old Jun 6th 2007, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SkiBunny
You don't need to bring teabags You can get proper British breakfast stand your spoon in it teabags in all the supermarkets here. Even our really small local supermarket sells PGTips (just bought a box 30 minutes ago!), and you can get Typhoo in Safeways.
I can guarantee that Jill won't be able to find PGTips or Typhoo within a >2 hour drive of where they're moving to...and probably not even then (Prince George isn't exactly great shopping! ) Their nearest Safeway would be...hmm...Hinton, probably, which is about a 3 hr drive!

Alex (also in the back of beyond!)

Last edited by AlexInBC; Jun 6th 2007 at 2:10 pm.
Old Jun 6th 2007, 5:33 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

There will be a Save On somewhere and they sell British Typhoo ($6.99 for 80 bags). I also buy Dilmah tea from Safeway, paler, but delicious nonetheless.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.