Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Help with salary take home and tax

Help with salary take home and tax

Old May 13th 2014, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

MovALot has a spectacular aura aboutMovALot has a spectacular aura aboutMovALot has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Help with salary take home and tax

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Yes, there is. Feel free to use it.

To expand upon my point. I don't believe that a sensible person would obtain a $1.3m mortgage even on a princely salary of $164k. Not if they wanted to live. A bank might lend you such a sum, but that doesn't mean you can afford to pay it back.

To suggest to a potential new immigrant that they might contemplate that is not at all helpful. I'd revise my earlier statement, to a new immigrant who tries to borrow $1.3m on that salary would be the profoundly stupid one.. IainK's point on what you are promised in terms of hours vs. what you might actually get, is very pertinent.
If I could possibly defuse the situation, as I wouldn't want to hijack another persons post.....I am not a 'newie' to immigration, I am from the UK, been in Oz for last 4 years, query started over a genuine question on cost of living on a Salary contract offer (of which I accepted) after some very useful comments on the previous thread.

Don't worry I won't be borrowing any money, certainly not $1M I have 3 houses in 2 country's to pay mortgages on as it is
Old May 13th 2014, 11:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Eddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, there is. Feel free to use it.

To expand upon my point. I don't believe that a sensible person would obtain a $1.3m mortgage even on a princely salary of $164k. Not if they wanted to live. A bank might lend you such a sum, but that doesn't mean you can afford to pay it back.

To suggest to a potential new immigrant that they might contemplate that is not at all helpful. I'd revise my earlier statement, to a new immigrant who tries to borrow $1.3m on that salary would be the profoundly stupid one.. IainK's point on what you are promised in terms of hours vs. what you might actually get, is very pertinent.
You totally misunderstand.

If you had read and understood my post, the mortgage amount was given as an indication of spending power that you could achieve with an income of $164k pa. It was not an offer of mortgage advice nor a suggestion of what anyone, let alone a new immigrant should do. I agree that maxing out what you could borrow would probably not be the best move.

To the op, depending on your job, expected standard of living, overheads, debt etc, your quoted income will be seen as good by some and not good by others.

To Movalot, if the contract offer as stated is genuine, I would expect that you could have quite a high standard of living with your quoted amount.
Old May 13th 2014, 11:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Eddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MovALot
If I could possibly defuse the situation, as I wouldn't want to hijack another persons post.....I am not a 'newie' to immigration, I am from the UK, been in Oz for last 4 years, query started over a genuine question on cost of living on a Salary contract offer (of which I accepted) after some very useful comments on the previous thread.

Don't worry I won't be borrowing any money, certainly not $1M I have 3 houses in 2 country's to pay mortgages on as it is
Best of luck with the move then!
Old May 13th 2014, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

MovALot has a spectacular aura aboutMovALot has a spectacular aura aboutMovALot has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Eddmac
Best of luck with the move then!
Thanks Eddmac, looking forward to the challenge of Calgary (only visited twice before), out of the south into the north (sounds like game of thrones eh!)
Old May 13th 2014, 11:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MovALot
Thanks Eddmac, looking forward to the challenge of Calgary (only visited twice before), out of the south into the north (sounds like game of thrones eh!)
Lol, hope you can cope with the winters, coming from OZ
Old May 13th 2014, 12:51 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dishwashing
Excellent point

But what type of positions promise, and sponsor, someone on the premise of 40 hours and end up giving them so little? I presume anyone being sponsored is driven by a labour market requirement?
There is no pattern to it. Truck driving and anything related to construction seem to come up with monotonous regularity, but $80 an hour is probably something in the oil industry, and that is a notoriously cyclical "boom and bust" business to be in. I was laid off from the job that brought me here on a work permit 3 months after I got my PR. Shit happens.

Last edited by iaink; May 13th 2014 at 1:02 pm.
Old May 13th 2014, 1:03 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

You totally misunderstand.
I think perhaps there were misunderstandings on both sides...
The calculations were not in doubt, the wisdom of taking on such a commitment was.
Old May 13th 2014, 1:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Apologies to the op for hijacking this thread in advance

I don't believe that a sensible person would obtain a $1.3m mortgage even on a princely salary of $164k.
I actually said you could buy a house at 1.4million with a 20% deposit

Using a more sensible mortgage calculator (http://www.scotiabank.com/ca/en/0,,32,00.html) gives a mortgage amount of around $670k,
I used this calculator, changed the 6% interest rate that is the default to a more normal 3% (although you can get 2.84%)
changed the amortization from 25 to 30 years, added in property taxes and heating costs - left out cars/debts as a sensible person keeps these to a minimum (LOL) and guess how much this more sensible mortgage calculator quoted?

$1.2million house (no I'm not laughing, seriously )
$900000 mortgage, monthly repayments of $3684
Now if you're bringing in $13.7k per month, this seems quite reasonable

Last edited by Eddmac; May 13th 2014 at 1:48 pm.
Old May 13th 2014, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by iaink
I think perhaps there were misunderstandings on both sides...
Your first statement I'd agree with.
Your second is just plain stupid.
No misunderstanding on my part, this was plain offensive, I have moved on though and I am now laughing at it

Perhaps it would be good to create a(nother) mortgage discussion thread and move all this tripe out of here and into that?
Old May 13th 2014, 1:52 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

Apologies to the op for hijacking this thread in advance

I actually said you could buy a house at 1.4million with a 20% deposit

I used this calculator, changed the 6% interest rate that is the default to a more normal 3% (although you can get 2.84%)
changed the amortization from 25 to 30 years, added in property taxes and heating costs - left out cars/debts as a sensible person keeps these to a minimum (LOL) and guess how much this more sensible mortgage calculator quoted?

You do realise that mortgage interest rates can go up, right?

The current long period of low rates is historically unprecedented.

How does your 1M mortgage look with an 8% rate
Old May 13th 2014, 1:53 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

No misunderstanding on my part, this was plain offensive, I have moved on though and I am now laughing at it

Perhaps it would be good to create a(nother) mortgage discussion thread and move all this tripe out of here and into that?
I think there was. Ive know AX a long time, and he really doesnt do offensive. Not like some others I could mention anyway
Old May 13th 2014, 2:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

I think there was. Ive know AX a long time, and he really doesnt do offensive. Not like some others I could mention anyway
Right, I get the point, AX is your mate, he didn't MEAN to be offensive.

Seriously though, I can't see the point about interest rates going up and about not being able to afford the mortgage , have I ever, in any of my posts, suggested that anyone should actually take out this mortgage?

(Note: I ran the ScotiaBank calculator on a 5year fixed, so it wouldn't go up for 5 years, although a hike from 3% to 8% increases the mortgage from $3800 to $6500 I would still expect this is affordable on a $13.7k monthly income, which would also "probably" go up in five years lol and if you pay bi-weekly it will be paid off even faster - this from the Scotiabank website! )

I'll paraphrase myself here again

I am quoting a hypothetical property value that you could hypothetically achieve with the stated income. This is solely for the purposes of measuring how much that income is "worth".

This is not intended as mortgage advice, I'm not suggesting that anyone actually does this, standard terms and conditions apply, bla bla bla

I think that the poster in question MovALot actually "got it"
(hopefully anyway )

Anyway, this is my last attempt at explaining that this was never meant to be mortgage advice, so please stop treating it as such!

Bored now, off to get flamed on a different thread
Old May 13th 2014, 8:18 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

The above equates to something like $164000 pa, so I'd say it was good.
Assuming a 20% downpayment, you could afford a house at approx $1.4 million.
uwotm8?

>4x earnings? It's not affordable (and it'll be positively nightmareish when the interest rates go up...which they will)
Old May 14th 2014, 10:24 am
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Nope... just wouldn't get the loan.....

they get very nervous once your loan to income goes outside of their approved ratios, nothing to do with affordabilty
Old May 14th 2014, 11:32 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
Nope... just wouldn't get the loan.....

they get very nervous once your loan to income goes outside of their approved ratios, nothing to do with affordabilty
Originally Posted by orly
uwotm8?

>4x earnings? It's not affordable (and it'll be positively nightmareish when the interest rates go up...which they will)
Did I mean to be offensive? No, not really. Do I believe that posting that a $164k salary could get you a $1.2-$1.4m mortgage is stupid? Well, let me revise my opinion to say "Its's a bit silly. Hopefully that will be less offensive.

Anyway, the OP seems switched on enough (as one would hope that someone making that sort of dosh) to understand that they should be able to keep body & soul together on $164k p.a.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.