Reload this Page >

Help re Canadian Tax - OH staying in Europe

Help re Canadian Tax - OH staying in Europe

Old Nov 26th 2008, 9:36 am
Arrived Calgary 28 Jan 09

thebakers4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help re Canadian Tax - OH staying in Europe

Hi there,

We have an unusual situation that someone out there maybe able to help me with.

So far:-

1.) We are a family of 4 - Mum ,Dad & 2 kids. We fell in love with all things Canadian back in 2005 and decided to make the move, especially as my OH was made redundant about then. We sold our house back in 2007 in readiness for job hunting within Canada

2.)I have a job offer and LMO to work at Calgary Transit - TWP should be here any day now as am at 6 week point today. I am due to start work early March 2009

3.) Due to this theoretically being a temporary job (2 year WP but hope to PNP after a year) my OH has decided to stay in Europe as his current job will work around this - (plus we couldn't afford to live just on my income). He has an unusual job where he drives stars/bands on their European tours - he plans to work 2-3 months (on a tour) in Europe then come over to us in Canada for his time off of about 4-6 weeks - He has been doing this since 2005 and it works for us and are used to our time apart.

4.) His annual salary is very good due to the time away from home but he works for an Austrian company and therefore pays tax etc in Austria and not in the UK.

So, my big question is:- Will he have to pay tax on his income in Canada too if he is not a resident but I am? I believe (but may be wrong) that Austria has a double tax treaty with Canada but for his employer to employee him he has to have his deductions made there or he can't be employed there.

If he doesn't get a residents visa stamped in his passport and just comes over to visit us a visitor ( he can come in for up to 6 months at a time) will this work?

If we are successful with PNP later on, he will move over permanently and do a similar driving job in Canada but we don't want to put all our eggs in one basket until that time

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated
Many thanks
Jan
Old Nov 26th 2008, 10:29 am

Default Re: Help re Canadian Tax - OH staying in Europe

Originally Posted by thebakers4
Hi there,

We have an unusual situation that someone out there maybe able to help me with.

So far:-

1.) We are a family of 4 - Mum ,Dad & 2 kids. We fell in love with all things Canadian back in 2005 and decided to make the move, especially as my OH was made redundant about then. We sold our house back in 2007 in readiness for job hunting within Canada

2.)I have a job offer and LMO to work at Calgary Transit - TWP should be here any day now as am at 6 week point today. I am due to start work early March 2009

3.) Due to this theoretically being a temporary job (2 year WP but hope to PNP after a year) my OH has decided to stay in Europe as his current job will work around this - (plus we couldn't afford to live just on my income). He has an unusual job where he drives stars/bands on their European tours - he plans to work 2-3 months (on a tour) in Europe then come over to us in Canada for his time off of about 4-6 weeks - He has been doing this since 2005 and it works for us and are used to our time apart.

4.) His annual salary is very good due to the time away from home but he works for an Austrian company and therefore pays tax etc in Austria and not in the UK.

So, my big question is:- Will he have to pay tax on his income in Canada too if he is not a resident but I am? I believe (but may be wrong) that Austria has a double tax treaty with Canada but for his employer to employee him he has to have his deductions made there or he can't be employed there.

If he doesn't get a residents visa stamped in his passport and just comes over to visit us a visitor ( he can come in for up to 6 months at a time) will this work?

If we are successful with PNP later on, he will move over permanently and do a similar driving job in Canada but we don't want to put all our eggs in one basket until that time

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated
Many thanks
Jan
TWP just arrived in the post today - Yippeee
Old Nov 26th 2008, 11:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thebakers4
TWP just arrived in the post today - Yippeee
I just had to reply when I say that your OH drives tour buses, my OH is a guitar tech and he's on tour with a band in Europe at the minute. Even when we lived in Canada he spent weeks at a time working in Europe. I wouldn't be surprised if our OH's had crossed paths over the years.

Anyway congratulation on getting your TWP
Old Nov 26th 2008, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

Robbie500 is an unknown quantity at this point

Jan,
I did a similar thing where other half stayed in Canada and I continued working in the UK until I retired. Once you come over here and have some degree of permanence ie you buy/rent a house, the kids go to school you will both become liable for Canadian Tax. He may as well have his Visa stamped as they maybe time limits on how long he can hold it. He would then file a tax return in Canada and so long as there is a double taxation tax treaty between the two countries, your OH would only have to pay any difference in the tax amounts between the two countries. I did and had to pay a small amount of extra tax in Canada. However I would find an accountant in Canada who knows about international tax regulations.
Rob
Old Nov 26th 2008, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by Robbie500
Jan,
I did a similar thing where other half stayed in Canada and I continued working in the UK until I retired. Once you come over here and have some degree of permanence ie you buy/rent a house, the kids go to school you will both become liable for Canadian Tax. He may as well have his Visa stamped as they maybe time limits on how long he can hold it. He would then file a tax return in Canada and so long as there is a double taxation tax treaty between the two countries, your OH would only have to pay any difference in the tax amounts between the two countries. I did and had to pay a small amount of extra tax in Canada. However I would find an accountant in Canada who knows about international tax regulations.
Rob
Thanks for that, that makes sense and helps with our situation.
Cheers
Jan