Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Help for newbies or moving to Saskatoon

Help for newbies or moving to Saskatoon

Old Oct 10th 2011, 12:45 am
Forum Regular

schumachergal is just really niceschumachergal is just really niceschumachergal is just really niceschumachergal is just really niceschumachergal is just really niceschumachergal is just really niceschumachergal is just really niceschumachergal is just really niceschumachergal is just really nice
Default Help for newbies or moving to Saskatoon

Hi
Just putting out a message for anyone that is thinking of/moving or recently moved to Saskatoon.
I am married with a 13 year old daughter and we have been here now for nearly 4 years.
If you want any help/advice or anything to do with Saskatoon. Reply either to this or email me or PM me and I will help you if I can.
I am not asking for money or wanting to charge you, just want to help if I can. I sure know I would have found it helpful!
Thanks
Julie
Old Jan 9th 2012, 2:33 pm
Just Joined

Scottycj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help for newbies or moving to Saskatoon

Originally Posted by schumachergal
Hi
Just putting out a message for anyone that is thinking of/moving or recently moved to Saskatoon.
I am married with a 13 year old daughter and we have been here now for nearly 4 years.
If you want any help/advice or anything to do with Saskatoon. Reply either to this or email me or PM me and I will help you if I can.
I am not asking for money or wanting to charge you, just want to help if I can. I sure know I would have found it helpful!
Thanks
Julie
Hi

My girlfriend and I are moving hopefully to Saskatoon from the uk in April 2012, she has a job, but I dont and was hoping for some advice from anyone who has done the same, in terms of permits visas etc.

Any help would be great

Thanks
Scott
Old Jan 9th 2012, 3:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scottycj
Hi

My girlfriend and I are moving hopefully to Saskatoon from the uk in April 2012, she has a job, but I dont and was hoping for some advice from anyone who has done the same, in terms of permits visas etc.

Any help would be great

Thanks
Scott
What did you need to know in terms of permits/visas Scott? It will probably depend on what visa your girlfriend will be on, and what her job is - if you can clarify that, then hopefully we can help.

Old Jan 9th 2012, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

schumachergal is just really niceschumachergal is just really niceschumachergal is just really niceschumachergal is just really niceschumachergal is just really niceschumachergal is just really niceschumachergal is just really niceschumachergal is just really niceschumachergal is just really nice

Hi

Any help would be great

Thanks
Scott
Hi Scott
WE came over on a TWP but because my hubby fell into the certain skilled worker I was able to apply for a work permit, but it had to be submitted at the same time we applied for my hubby. If you are coming over as a truck driver I know that they didn't used to allow the spouse to apply, not sure if that is still the case, if you google spousal permits, because I am not sure if you have to be married or not.
Let me know how you get on, and if you need any help for when you arrive in Toon.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 7:22 am
Just Joined

Thanks to both of you for replying, my Girlfriend (We been together 10 years, are engaged, and own a house together) has a permanent job as a Geotechnical Engineer, and the company that has employed her is sorting out her work permit but I dont know what type it is, I will try and find out today, We are both concerned that as I am 40 I wont be able to stay/ work in Canada, or more importantly Saskatoon, I have for the past 10 years owned a paint shop in the uk, and before that owned a carpentry and shop fitting Co,I need to be able to work but after spending weeks looking online I am starting to think I wont pass the criteria, Any more advice would be great thanks in advance, Scott
Old Jan 10th 2012, 10:43 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to both of you for replying, my Girlfriend (We been together 10 years, are engaged, and own a house together) has a permanent job as a Geotechnical Engineer, and the company that has employed her is sorting out her work permit but I dont know what type it is, I will try and find out today, We are both concerned that as I am 40 I wont be able to stay/ work in Canada, or more importantly Saskatoon, I have for the past 10 years owned a paint shop in the uk, and before that owned a carpentry and shop fitting Co,I need to be able to work but after spending weeks looking online I am starting to think I wont pass the criteria, Any more advice would be great thanks in advance, Scott
OK, so it sounds as though your girlfriend will be on a Temporary Work Permit, and as she's in a 'skilled' job, you'd be eligible for a Spousal Open Work Permit for the same duration. So you'd be able to work freely, and hopefully be included on your girlfriends PR application if you both wish to stay longer term.
HTH.

Old Jan 10th 2012, 10:47 am
Just Joined

Thanks very much for the advice, I will look into this.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

Age is not an issue - I am 52 in May and hubby is 49 in April and we have only been here 4 years !
Old Jan 10th 2012, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
OK, so it sounds as though your girlfriend will be on a Temporary Work Permit, and as she's in a 'skilled' job, you'd be eligible for a Spousal Open Work Permit for the same duration. So you'd be able to work freely, and hopefully be included on your girlfriends PR application if you both wish to stay longer term.
HTH.

I know that I HAD to apply for my spousal permit at the same time my oh's was submitted and you have to fall within that list I was telling you about.
PM me if you want to go into more details
Old Jan 10th 2012, 7:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I know that I HAD to apply for my spousal permit at the same time my oh's was submitted and you have to fall within that list I was telling you about.
Scottycj's girlfriend definitely has a 'skilled' occupation. As long as his girlfriend's job offer is 'skilled' (i.e. NOC Level A, O or B on the Matrix), and they've lived together as man and wife for a year or more, then he would qualify for a Spousal Open Work Permit.

He also wouldn't have to apply for his SOWP at the same time as his OH's TWP, he could apply at a later date if he wanted.

I'm sure that he will PM you for info on SK, but we do prefer that any immigration queries are kept on the open forum - both so that any incorrect info can be correct, and also so that others searching for answers in the future can benefit.

Old Jan 10th 2012, 8:01 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks very much for the advice, I will look into this.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...work/index.asp click on the link "can my spouse work...." and it explains how to obtain an Open Work Permit.

Old Jan 10th 2012, 8:09 pm
Just Joined

leavingcanada is an unknown quantity at this point

we have been here close to 6 years and had many run in with this programme...although i arranged it all on my own....there is no need to pay law firms to do all the legal papers etc....firstly we landed at calgary and my wife was not given a permit to work because this was not allowed, it seemed some did get them but this was only because the rules were not clear to the guys at immigration and because there were so many brits entering at once. under the programme i had to stay at the same company for 6 months then i became eligable for the province to sponsor me to stay as a permenant resident. this means all papers are then worked from regina,and they are real good if you have a problem. because i had an accident and had to have my right foot screwed together it delayed things so had to travel south to north portal immigration and get all permits renewed..they are real good down there. eventually my papers went to regina,got checked,sent to canada immigration new york,then after checking sent to L A in california which made the final desicion......they ask for passports to be sent then they issue permanent visa...then you call a office in saskatoon to arrange appointment for permanent residence...then and only then was my wife allowed to work.

the fact that your good lady my be skilled does not guarantee that you will get a work permit the moment you both land....so being honest i would say be prepared to be a house husband for a while....there will also be much money involved for the process as well...you have to pay for certain permits and visas etc..along with your medical examinations which every man,woman and child must go through.

it seems long and hard but it,s not that bad. i have put a link in to the saskatchewan government immigration web site which may offer you more info....it can be very daunting reading it all but you can come through...i was 50 when i came and done it all myself....just take time to read it all...and i found a lady called arla cameron in regina immigration was fantastic and helpful if you have things you need to ask..call or e mail....but one thing you must do is BE HONEST...canada will hunt down and deport people who lie and give false information to gain entry and permanent status.

http://www.aeei.gov.sk.ca/sinp
Old Jan 10th 2012, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

Scottycj's girlfriend definitely has a 'skilled' occupation. As long as his girlfriend's job offer is 'skilled' (i.e. NOC Level A, O or B on the Matrix), and they've lived together as man and wife for a year or more, then he would qualify for a Spousal Open Work Permit.

He also wouldn't have to apply for his SOWP at the same time as his OH's TWP, he could apply at a later date if he wanted.

I'm sure that he will PM you for info on SK, but we do prefer that any immigration queries are kept on the open forum - both so that any incorrect info can be correct, and also so that others searching for answers in the future can benefit.

When we applied some 6 years ago we had to do it at the same time, but I note that it seems like a lot of things have changed since April last year.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 8:10 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I think you are confused, "the list" for applicants for FSW visa has no relevancy to someone applying for a Spousal Open Work Permit.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry I did mean PM for more info to do with Toon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.