Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Help needed transfering money from France..

Help needed transfering money from France..

Old Mar 21st 2008, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

Brown Bear has a brilliant futureBrown Bear has a brilliant futureBrown Bear has a brilliant futureBrown Bear has a brilliant futureBrown Bear has a brilliant futureBrown Bear has a brilliant futureBrown Bear has a brilliant futureBrown Bear has a brilliant future
Default Help needed transfering money from France..

Hi..
I have been trying to get some money transferred over to Nova Scotia from France, now everytime I speak with my bank in France they say they will not do it without an IBAN and a SWIFTBIC, Now I have transferred to UK from here in the past using the IBAN and SWIFTBIC...No Probs..
But the rental company I am dealing with has given me every account code etc.. but no IBAN or SWIFTBIC.. Oh my god I am going Bananas with this keep phoning the rental company and e-mailing and she just does not seem to know what I am talking about,
Can anyone help please is this called something else in Canada..?
Or has anyone else transferred from France that can HELP..!!!!!
Thanks In Advance...
Old Mar 21st 2008, 10:49 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help needed transfering money from France..

Originally Posted by Brown Bear
Hi..
I have been trying to get some money transferred over to Nova Scotia from France, now everytime I speak with my bank in France they say they will not do it without an IBAN and a SWIFTBIC, Now I have transferred to UK from here in the past using the IBAN and SWIFTBIC...No Probs..
But the rental company I am dealing with has given me every account code etc.. but no IBAN or SWIFTBIC.. Oh my god I am going Bananas with this keep phoning the rental company and e-mailing and she just does not seem to know what I am talking about,
Thanks In Advance...
You will need an IBAN/SWIFT to make an international bank transfer but your bank could issue you with a cheque drawn in $CAD and you could post that. If it really needs to be a direct transfer you could email/phone the rental companies bank and ask them for advice.
Old Mar 21st 2008, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Hi..
Thanks In Advance...
Banks in Canada use the terms IBAN and SWIFTBIC (or sometimes SWIFT code) - keep pressing the rental company. For large amounts you may have to make a wire transfer and international clearing of cheques can take weeks.

Note, the IBAN and SWIFTBICS you require will applicable to (and available from) the rental company's bank and not the rental company.

Last edited by johnh009; Mar 21st 2008 at 1:49 pm.
Old Mar 21st 2008, 2:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

I recently transferred some money (house deposit)from UK HSBC to account of Realtor and didn't have SWIFT details but had full bank address and although took a few days didn't have any problems
Old Mar 21st 2008, 2:45 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi..
Thanks In Advance...
Just call the bank in NS and ask them for their SWIFT code. It's really not hard.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

Brown Bear has a brilliant futureBrown Bear has a brilliant futureBrown Bear has a brilliant futureBrown Bear has a brilliant futureBrown Bear has a brilliant futureBrown Bear has a brilliant futureBrown Bear has a brilliant futureBrown Bear has a brilliant future

We now have the swift code as they called it.. but still no IBAN.. As the banks were shut there yesterday, will now have to wait until tuesday as Our bank is shut until then, but I will phone the rental companys bank on tuesday and get the IBAN, And then hopefully get it sent across,
Thanks for the help, just needed to know if it was called an IBAN..
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 6:26 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

We now have the swift code as they called it.. but still no IBAN.. As the banks were shut there yesterday, will now have to wait until tuesday as Our bank is shut until then, but I will phone the rental companys bank on tuesday and get the IBAN, And then hopefully get it sent across,
Thanks for the help, just needed to know if it was called an IBAN..

You don't actually need both. SWIFT is more widely used in Canada than is IBAN, but they are both unique specifiers of the destination.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
You don't actually need both. SWIFT is more widely used in Canada than is IBAN, but they are both unique specifiers of the destination.
My french bank just won't do it without both...
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 11:28 pm
Born again atheist

Sorry. Mine will. What can I say?
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

The IBAN (International Bank Account Number) system was developed for transferring money within or to the EU. The USA, Canada, most British dependencies, in fact almost all the rest of the World do participate in the IBAN system as yet, except when tranferring money to and from countries using the IBAN system.

I should point this out to your bank in France, they should know, the French were instrumental in developing the IBAN system.

Last edited by johnh009; Mar 23rd 2008 at 2:16 pm.
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Sorry. Mine will. What can I say?
Ours too - we are with Soc. Gen.