Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Help needed for moving to Vancouver

Help needed for moving to Vancouver

Old Jun 5th 2007, 8:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

High numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help needed for moving to Vancouver

Originally Posted by Frank'n Sense
High

Thanks again to Judy. In this case I am not an expert but I know a man who is. Actually based on the north shore it is rare to worry about floods - we have other things instead.

The flood plain mapping may be of help here:
http://srmwww.gov.bc.ca/rib/wat/fpm/fpminfo.html
But you need to know the locale reasonably well to know where the rivers, creeks and streams are. I don't think you sunshine hills area is a problem as the list of properties stayed the same when I excluded those where Flood Plain was set to "Y". (Never needed to use this before).

Warmly,

Frank
Cheers Frank. I have had a look at the web site but as I don't know the area that well it is hard to work out which map I need to look at! So if you could ask the man that knows then that information would be of some help.

Not sure I understand your last comment about the "Y" though
Old Jun 5th 2007, 8:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

High numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yoong
Looks like North Delta is in the flood plain, or you could look
into the properties on the higher areas in Surrey and North Delta
to avoid the flood. Road works happening around the airport areas,
so expect delays and heavy traffic to the airport.
Last week it took us 30-40 mins to the airport from South Burnaby.

Try South Burnaby and New Westminster but avoid Queensborough in New Westminster because it is a flood plain.Easy access by car and transit
to the airport. www.mls.ca A good real estate agent is able to help you
search for your dream home.

Yoong
Thank you. The person who interviewed me lives in North Delta and it takes him 30 minutes to get to the airport. Can't see if Sunshine Hills is on the flood plain but I think (not sure) that it is above sea level by about 130 meters so this should be ok. I will try and find a good estate agent to help out.

Thanks
Old Jun 5th 2007, 8:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jandro
It could very well be flooded this week.

Thanks
Old Jun 5th 2007, 8:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by SkiBunny
Hiya

If you haven't already, download Google Earth. We have found it invaluable for researching areas before we left and since we got here. In terms of areas try not to get too far from your work unless you will be doing off-peak hours - our initial experiences of driving in greater Vancouver between 7.30-10am or 4-7pm have been that the commuter traffic in any direction is as bad as Manchester & London.

Good luck with your research
SB
Thanks I will be working shifts and some will start/end within those times. I don't mind sitting in traffic as I do it now but I just would like to keep the time down living in a car!
Old Jun 5th 2007, 8:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Juliew
Hi there,

Sunshine Hills area is a lovely area. My sister has lived there for the past 10 years. It also has good schools and the houses are a bit older so you should be able to get a decent size yard. I have never heard of Sunshine Hills flooding. You may also want to look in Delta and Tsawwasen.

Good luck

I am looking for some advise as it looks pretty certain that we will be moving to Vancouver and would like to know a bit more about certain areas, traffic, views, shops etc!

I am in the process of securing a job on Sea Island at the airport and need some help about an area to live in. We would like a four bedroom house with some garden (does not have to be acres but not a strip of grass!). We don't want high rise living and like it to be a bit more rural . Also I don't want to have to spend hours driving to and from work and have been advised by the interview panel that the Sunshine Hills area of North Delta is a good place to live. Any thoughts?

Also I have read a lot about the flood plain on the lower mainland and don't want to buy something that could run the risk of being flooded each spring.

Any points good or bad would be gratefully received as the internet can only tell you so much!

Thanks
[/QUOTE]

Thank you I will look at these areas. Any other points of view from your sister?
Old Jun 6th 2007, 11:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: The Vancouver Suburbs... for the next few years anyway!
The TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud of

I know a good realtor in the Langley/Delta area. (Have you checked out Cloverdale? A friend of mine drives to the airport from there everyday without much trouble!)

PM me if you want the realtors details! He's been brilliant to us!
Old Jun 6th 2007, 7:33 pm
West Coast Enthusiast

Frank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud of

Sorry Frank I did not type your name correctly on the other thread.
Yoong
No worries. Frank 'n Sense seemed amusing when I started out
Old Jun 7th 2007, 5:02 am
Forum Regular

Hudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Canuck Fan
I second this. My boyfriend who trucks around Vancouver everyday complains about the traffic sometimes, I tried telling him he has it relatively easy compared to the gridlock in London or any one of our major cities come to think of it.
Problem here is that once a bridge is out, crash/stall etc you've had it. If for example Pitt River bridge is out its a long way round via Mission.
In london although volume and gridlock is worse there is usually a backstreet out of it.
Old Jun 7th 2007, 4:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by High numbers
Thank you. The person who interviewed me lives in North Delta and it takes him 30 minutes to get to the airport. Can't see if Sunshine Hills is on the flood plain but I think (not sure) that it is above sea level by about 130 meters so this should be ok. I will try and find a good estate agent to help out.

Thanks
Forgot to congratulate you on your new job.We are watching the flood
warnings closely,because we usually go bird watching at Iona Island ,Delta and Richmond areas.
My British friend and her extended families live in West Richmond,she recommends West Richmond and Steveston , the houses there are
more expensive than the east side.So far no threats of flooding,
may be they have higher dykes than the rest of the municipalities.
I have been to her house before and it is lovely.
Yoong
Old Jun 7th 2007, 5:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Forgot to congratulate you on your new job.We are watching the flood
warnings closely,because we usually go bird watching at Iona Island ,Delta and Richmond areas.
My British friend and her extended families live in West Richmond,she recommends West Richmond and Steveston , the houses there are
more expensive than the east side.So far no threats of flooding,
may be they have higher dykes than the rest of the municipalities.
I have been to her house before and it is lovely.
Yoong
Thank you. There are lots of nice houses on the Lower Mainland I have been looking at MLS. The only way we will know what is right for us is to see how far away from the airport it is and try and balance driving time and the house price for what we get. Plus we would want no flooding and some good views if possible.

We are going to try and have a holiday before moving as there is only so much the internet can show you. In the end it will be the type of house we like in an area that feels good. People on this forum have (as usual) been very helpful with good ideas for us to look into.
Old Jun 8th 2007, 7:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Anybody got anything else to add before this thread moves down the list and out of sight?

Any other good areas? What about Fraser Heights in Surrey is that on the fllod plain? Still trying to keep my feet dry!!

Last edited by High numbers; Jun 8th 2007 at 9:09 pm.
Old Jun 8th 2007, 10:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

getoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Frank'n Sense
High

Thanks again to Judy. In this case I am not an expert but I know a man who is. Actually based on the north shore it is rare to worry about floods - we have other things instead.

The flood plain mapping may be of help here:
http://srmwww.gov.bc.ca/rib/wat/fpm/fpminfo.html
But you need to know the locale reasonably well to know where the rivers, creeks and streams are. I don't think you sunshine hills area is a problem as the list of properties stayed the same when I excluded those where Flood Plain was set to "Y". (Never needed to use this before).

Warmly,

Frank
Replied to your PM. I have maps of all of the flood planes to avoid the 'at risk' areas. Can also advise on good and not so good areas around that area - I spend most of my time travelling through this region and even look after the Substation on Sea Island - great views of the runway. YVR has a minor risk of flooding - but not this year!!!!!
Old Jun 8th 2007, 10:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

getoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond repute

Anybody got anything else to add before this thread moves down the list and out of sight?

Any other good areas? What about Fraser Heights in Surrey is that on the fllod plain? Still trying to keep my feet dry!!
Forgot to add Fraser Heights has an elevation of 300 feet so no chance of flooding. The only area subject to flooding is down by 176th Street by the Barnston ferry - might see it under water this weekend but the threat is diminishing by the hour.
Old Jun 9th 2007, 8:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by getoutofbritainquick
Replied to your PM. I have maps of all of the flood planes to avoid the 'at risk' areas. Can also advise on good and not so good areas around that area - I spend most of my time travelling through this region and even look after the Substation on Sea Island - great views of the runway. YVR has a minor risk of flooding - but not this year!!!!!
Thanks! E-mail on the way!
Old Jun 9th 2007, 9:32 pm
West Coast Enthusiast

Frank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud of

Cheers Frank. I have had a look at the web site but as I don't know the area that well it is hard to work out which map I need to look at! So if you could ask the man that knows then that information would be of some help.

Not sure I understand your last comment about the "Y" though
The comment on "Y" refers to the search facility that I use within MLX (the realtor's version of MLS). Basically I was searching for places not marked as being in the floodplain. On the northshore I have never had to set this flag on any of my listings.

Warmly,

Frank

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.