Help Mosquito Bites

Help Mosquito Bites

Old Jul 4th 2006, 10:53 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help Mosquito Bites

A link from the Wikipedia blurb about mosquitos:
http://www.newscientist.com/article....ine-news_rss20

Bits from the link:

"Some unfortunate people are irresistible to mosquitoes, while the scent of some lucky individuals drives the blood-suckers away.

Logan will not divulge the names of the chemicals until they are patented. But he does reveal that although the scent of the chemicals is normally undetectable by humans, they have a fruity smell when highly concentrated.

“It’s very exciting," Logan told New Scientist, "because these are totally natural chemicals with an effectiveness that compares favourably to harsher chemicals such as DEET, which is the best repellent available but has unwanted effects, including dissolving plastics.” "

So there you have it! Get fruity, people!
Old Jul 4th 2006, 11:05 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas

So there you have it! Get fruity, people!
You offering yourself again???
Old Jul 4th 2006, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

BritBob is a jewel in the roughBritBob is a jewel in the roughBritBob is a jewel in the roughBritBob is a jewel in the roughBritBob is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Hangman
Perhaps you did.

I wouldn't like to generalise to that degree. Some do, some don't.

I've been here 43 years and I still have adverse reactions to mozzie bites.

My wife (born here) is like HWP they don't bother her for the most part.

Cheers
Steve
I wasn`t referring to them biting people, I was saying you get used to going at in the evening knowing there`ll be mozzies about for example. It`s common sense, if you go out walking at dusk then you would prepare for mozzies. Like I said you would get used to it.
Old Jul 4th 2006, 11:29 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
You offering yourself again???
Get your mind off my melons.

... that I bought from Safeway to make sure I'm fruity and repellent to mosquitos. I would not want to see this thread go off topic.
Old Jul 4th 2006, 11:29 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BritBob
I wasn`t referring to them biting people, I was saying you get used to going at in the evening knowing there`ll be mozzies about for example. It`s common sense, if you go out walking at dusk then you would prepare for mozzies. Like I said you would get used to it.
Ahh, in that case I agree with you.

If you know they are about (like right now in Calgary) you prepare for them before you go out.

Steve
Old Jul 4th 2006, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

mugginflapps is an unknown quantity at this point

the only repellent that works has to have 'deet' in it, so try 'OFF'. did you know that Avons 'skin so soft' also works pretty well?

Originally Posted by smelly
Can anyone recommend a good insect repellent or lotion that prevents mosquito bites.

I have just arrived in Calgary and they seem to be loving my fresh English skin.

I also cant seem to find the plug-ins that you get back in Europe that you take on holiday with you. I described them to a Canadian and he didnt to have the slightest idea what I was talking about.
Old Jul 4th 2006, 11:55 am
GO FLAMES GO!!!!

Steve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Janietrz
Not sure if this will help, but I was told this from my daughter who works with horses, that they give horses marmite so they dont attract Mosquitos and get bitten as much , I have also this read somewhere? if you eat marmite you get bitten less, because when you sweat from your skin it comes out in your sweat the smell, and apprentley they dont like this , dunno if its all true, but its worth a try, hope you like marmite?. Just found this link http://www.ilovemarmite.com/marmite.asp?id=79
I LOVE marmite. Had a big tub brought over for me (Thanks Jenwren) and have been eating it almost daily. Have 23 mozzie bites so far and counting!!!!!! So it appears it may be myth
Old Jul 4th 2006, 12:16 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve&Tanya
I LOVE marmite. Had a big tub brought over for me (Thanks Jenwren) and have been eating it almost daily. Have 23 mozzie bites so far and counting!!!!!! So it appears it may be myth
Oh bother! I was quite willing to try that one!

I wonder if it works if you wear it on the outside??
Old Jul 4th 2006, 1:17 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Morwenna
Oh bother! I was quite willing to try that one!

I wonder if it works if you wear it on the outside??
Most weekends we eat toast and Marmite and then go and ride horses that are fed loads of Marmite flavoured treats. If we don't give ourselves and the horses a good spraying we, and they, get bitten to pieces so I'm sure the Marmite doesn't work. Absorbine works, it says on the bottle that it works for five days but, in truth, that's five hours. It does work though for both horses and humans and, despite using it three days a week since the bug season started, my bits are all still attached and functioning.
Old Jul 5th 2006, 1:18 am
Forum Regular

Alison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to all
Unhappy Re: Help Mosquito Bites

A friend of mine in Red Deer, Alberta contracted West Niles about a month ago and was told she was the first case her doc had seen there. Made her extremely unwell. She reckons it was like having taken 50 Valium and she was unable to walk properly for about a week. :scared:
Old Jul 5th 2006, 2:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Stuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond repute

Avon 'Skin so Soft' works really really well for the dreaded scottish midge which is attracted by CO2 like the mozzie. We have had good reports from friends near Edmonton about its effectiveness and as it is meant to be a skin cream it has no side effects (you have to wonder if you would recommend it as a skin cream though).
Stuarty
Old Jul 5th 2006, 2:49 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Skin-So-Soft

"In a research study, the Avon product provided abut one-half hour of protection from mosquito bites compared to > 10 hours protection provided by 35% DEET. Avon now markets products under the Skin-So-Soft®, label that contain an EPA-recognized repellent"

http://www.msstate.edu/Entomology/Ho...itorepell.html
Old Jul 5th 2006, 6:44 am
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

Tea info
http://www.fineteas.com/teafactsotheruses.htm

Scent coverage for kids

http://www.thekidswindow.co.uk/natur...0120&linkpage=
Old Jul 5th 2006, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

MapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really nice

Everyone should own a eucalyptus plant.... break off a leaf and rub it on your bites, cures the itch instantly... also good for your skin. bonus!
Old Jul 6th 2006, 9:39 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smelly
Can anyone recommend a good insect repellent or lotion that prevents mosquito bites.

I have just arrived in Calgary and they seem to be loving my fresh English skin.

I also cant seem to find the plug-ins that you get back in Europe that you take on holiday with you. I described them to a Canadian and he didnt to have the slightest idea what I was talking about.

I find Bite Shield works for me. Can't stand all that stuff you spray or rub onto the skin......have you ever noticed how it reacts to plastic? :scared:

I bought it from Costco a few years ago, although I have not seen it since. I am usually bitten alive by mozzies, deer/horse flies etc. and if I use a spray or lotion and miss a tiny area the bugs will find it. I just clip the Bite Shield to my belt etc. (or you can stand it on a table) and the bugs stay away.

http://lentek.com/Main/Main.asp?SubC...&CategoryID=4&

This subject has been covered several times during the past couple of months in the Ca and US forums, try searching through past threads you might find some helpful comments. Good luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.